Ok, so i guess I've had my Saiga for a couple of months now. I've probably put 400-500 rounds through it and it has functioned flawlessly. Zeroing in signts, bump firing, etc.... After reading how Saiga's and AK's in general are not the "clean freaks" that AR's are, and other guns can be, I must confess that today was the first time I've cleaned by Saiga. I mean, at all. Out of the box, trips to the range, and three to four hundred rounds of ammo, this was the first cleaning whatsoever.

What I found was a lot of dust and powder and grime that cleaned off like a dream!! Cleaned the bore which was really dirty, but afterwards holding it up to the light and seeing the crome lined barrell and rifeling shinning, well, it was a thing of beauty!!

I'll tell ya, I really love this gun!! I can't wait to get out this afternoon and shoot it again!!

I ran about 2000 round through my AK (yugo) without cleaning it, then when I decided to clean it, I had a nasty rust spot on my gas piston rod (or whatever it's called). I took some fine grit sandpaper to it and got it cleaned up, but from now on all my shit gets cleaned at least every 2 trips to the range.

i thought it was standard to clean it out of the box to remove the packaging grease?

it's definitely a good idea.

Yah my buddy bought a romanian ak and on inspecting the bore there was a big piece of steel lodged in the barrel.... YIKES!! needless to say he took it out before he ran about 700 rounds through it without cleaning it.... :super:

i thought it was standard to clean it out of the box to remove the packaging grease?

Yes, it is definitely a good idea to clean and lube right out of the box. I keep all my weapons cleaned and lubed, so I just thought with this being my first AK type rifle I could slack up a bit, and you can. Point being, if you don't clean it on a regular basis, it still is a dependable and reliable weapon! But, yes, even nicer when clean!!

David

Yes, it is definitely a good idea to clean and lube right out of the box. I keep all my weapons cleaned and lubed, so I just thought with this being my first AK type rifle I could slack up a bit, and you can. Point being, if you don't clean it on a regular basis, it still is a dependable and reliable weapon! But, yes, even nicer when clean!!

David

Gotta love Commie guns.

Making them soldier proof was a great idea by the former Soviets.

If you need to clean your gun for it to function then that is a big problem (AR's).

Gotta love Commie guns.

Making them soldier proof was a great idea by the former Soviets.

If you need to clean your gun for it to function then that is a big problem (AR's).

roger that, hay, i got friends in clarksville, with the 101st!!

This gun was built to cater to kids that cant read or right........so it had to be tough. All to out advantage (After all, I'm not that bright, either.)

Sad thing is I know alot of our kids in uniform for us that have limited skills in that department.

Just $.02 here but yes, it's a problem when a weapon needs to be extremely clean to function. I found after a 2 week training exercise in New Mexico (McGregor Bombing Range) that my M4 completely refused a full functions check and I was forced to disassemble and clean it before returning it to our battalion arms room. This may not sound unusual except that I put exactly zero rounds through my rifle in those 2 weeks (yeah, we don't shoot much in Aviation). It was simply the sand and dirt in the desert that prevented the rifle from performing. (Mind you, I am, and was then, very aware of closing the dust cover, since my rifle is so finicky, and did nothing to it other than carry it everywhere I went). Somehow I don't anticipate this problem with an AK platform. AR's are great rifles, don't get me wrong, any joker can shoot one and they're very accurate, but they must be maintained on a passionate level if one is to stake their life on them in a real world scenario. (By the way Cheep, on the whole I would agree with you, but not all of us in uniform have half a brain. I used to be in MI ya know. ;) ) And rangerdavid, rock on brother, Screaming Eagles lead the way.

SPC. John DeStefano

101st ABN DIV

• 5 weeks later...
My Glock and Saiga are the same in the fasion that they never really need cleaning, but get a good clean every 3-4 trips to the range...

Everything else gets cleaned every time they get shot...

Haha Amen. My G19 and Saiga dont need to be cleaned after every trip, but I do anyways. My ARs on the other hand need a thorough cleaning if you just look at them wrong.

This gun was built to cater to kids that cant read or right........so it had to be tough. All to out advantage (After all, I'm not that bright, either.)

Sad thing is I know alot of our kids in uniform for us that have limited skills in that department.

I'd really like to see some evidence on that bold statement there. Ive been a Marine for only 2 years, but in those 2 years Ive met some of the most brilliant minds on this planet, and they were 03s. You were either a jealous REMF or youve never served.

You guys ever used gun butter? After the initial strip down and complete de-greasing of my three ak's, I coated everything with gun butter. I have fired almost 2000 rounds among these three rifles since applying gun butter, and when it came time to finally clean them, I was shocked to find that all the powder residues wiped clean with a DRY patch!!!

I was always a firm believer in CLP, for over 20 years. I won't use anything else but Gun Butter. The shit is meraculous, to say the very least!!

I'd really like to see some evidence on that bold statement there. Ive been a Marine for only 2 years, but in those 2 years Ive met some of the most brilliant minds on this planet, and they were 03s. You were either a jealous REMF or youve never served.

Wasn't meant to offend....just saying that they arnt getting the training and discipline they should.

I run a business in Killeen, Tx. (Ft. hood), and in my day you took you're cover off when u went indoors.......and never, never, screamed abusive language to a lady when in uniform. ( I've had some arrested for being vulgar with my employees.)

I have utmost respect for our kids fighting for us. If they were not fighting over there, I believe we would be having to use the Saiga for what its made for to protect ourselves over here.

I just believe that they deserve better training and discipline....and better debriefing (48 hours out of combat, and they're in the mall!)

Just my 2c worth, but if I misspoke , please forgive. I value my freedom, and even higher those that fight for it.

(And, No, I have never served over seas.)