Is it legal to put a thunblhole stock on a saiga?

Unfortunatly no its not legal

Because like adding a pistl grip you would have to put in a standard Kalashnikov trigger, and a regular pistol grip and butt could then be affixed as well as a drag stock. as far as the ATF is concerned a Drag stock is a pistol grip stock, its just a pistol grip stock that is 1 piece instead of 2.

Buck

That's the first thing I asked when I joined here. The only way I'd buy a Saiga-12 is if I could make it accept the stock you described or one like it. Installing one of them will be my next project. Here's the link I posted earlier that shows the process.

http://www.nouglyguns.com/saiga1.htm

Good luck

:osama::killer:

You'd have to postpone the project till Oct, 2004...

I'd rather have it NOW and enjoy it! ...and convert it after the "Sunset"...

I might even go to Russia, get Saiga-12 SWAT - convert it to a legal (montecarlo) configuration and bring it here... :) (or bring it as a kit or dealer sample...)

Unfortunatly no its not legal

Because like adding a pistl grip you would have to put in a standard Kalashnikov trigger, and a regular pistol grip and butt could then be affixed as well as a drag stock. as far as the ATF is concerned a Drag stock is a pistol grip stock, its just a pistol grip stock that is 1 piece instead of 2.

Buck

:angel:

You know thats an Internet rumor? The BATF "change of heart" on "thumbhole" stocks?

I've done well over a dozen conversions now, even selling some at gunshows. I know my local ATF agent REALY well and he laughed in my face when I brought this story up. Its the tin-foil hat crowd back at it again.

You know thats an Internet rumor? The BATF "change of heart" on "thumbhole" stocks?

I've done well over a dozen conversions now, even selling some at gunshows. I know my local ATF agent REALY well and he laughed in my face when I brought this story up. Its the tin-foil hat crowd back at it again.

I hear you my friend!

Here is the work in progress!!! Sweet!!!

BTW - did you have to "trim" the inside part of the ATI stock a bit to get rid of the gap in the back?

Progress.jpg

So, will the standard Choate thumbhole stock for a Mak90/AK work with the Saiga 12?( I don't like ATI stocks)

Given that original S-.308 reciever uses the same stock as S-12, what da ya think? :rolleyes:

done.jpg

Looking GOOD Makc, LOOKING VERY GOOD.

I finaly got to the bottom of the "thumbhole-as-pistolgrip" bit....the entire rumor started out because of an import argument- the BATF ruled that a RIFLE cannot be IMPORTED into the US with a thumbhole stock, and have it not count as a "evil feature". This has absolutly NO effect on us "guys on the ground" and was cited as a reason that no more thumbhole Romanians are seen around these days. The rumor itself was began as a way to rip customers off by making them believe that they HAD to convert all those thumbhole MAK 90s and ROMAKs to a US pistolgrip, and thus buy a SHITLOAD of US made parts.

My gun is in the shop to have the barrel re-attached perminantly and some small annoying finishing touches put on that I didnt care to waste my time on.

I'm not sure if on its return, however, I'll be keeping it. If I decide to sell it, it'll probably go for $375, complete with 100 rounds of 12ga slugs that work best in it.

I've got a real hankering for a scoped CETME and the wife says I have to thin the collection.

I'm not giving up my UZI, my other AK is a homebuilt that no one in their right mind would buy from me (they think that its nuts enough just for me to shoot the thing) and the rest of my guns are a smattering of $100 Schmidt Rubins, Enfields, Mosins and Mausers.

I also want to build a machine-pistol look-a-like using a slotted HiPower frame (so I can get around the SBR thing)

Regards,

Me.

Edited to add- yeah I have to trim. I added a spacer block in mine but yours looks a LOT better.

Edited by Gunfighter84

Hey Gunfighter, I've got a scoped CETME that I got from CENTERFIRE SYSTEMS. It's a good gun for the price, love mine (that's my avatar). Don't know if they still sell them or not, don't see em online anymore. If you need to know anything about em let me know.

www.centerfiresystems.com

My next gun will be a Saiga-12 like yours. I just have to wait till I get my M11/9 all paid for.

Um, how about sat down and talked to the ATF?

They were one of the agencies concerned when I posted a responce to the LEO/Entry shotgun competitions :)

Anyhoo- KY, yeah, I think they're great looking rifles. At the risk of sounding like a little kid, I want to rig one out like the G3ZF from "Stargate" (the movie, not the TV show) with the fat bottom handguards and the Hensoldt scope :)

WTF does entering a competition for the design of a LEO shotgun have to do with being one? The shotgun was designed by me and put to practicality by myself and a gunsmith friend of mine who works for several departments on their weapons. It was built, the 10" version, under his legal umbrella, even though I did the work in the shop. Right now the last remaining prototype in my hands is having a 19" barrel grafted to it so I can have it here at home with me. All the others are either at his shop, or still out for testing.

I heard a rumor that even Garry James shot one :)

Well, the reason I asked if you were a LEO was the fact that only LEO's and FFL's could own thumhole stocked saigas. I kinda get it now though, the gun is tecnicaly your freinds gun who has a FFl?? and tecnicaly you only boraw it from him?

I probobly shouldn't be opening my mouth about this but how is a saiga with a thumbhole stock your own design?

And to clarify the thumhole stock is OK for the 89' ban but conflicts with the 94' ban because sagas were not imported in the U.S. untill after the 94' ban witch makes the gun evil and therefore illegal.