Czechoslovakian 1953 7.62x54r Lead Core Heavy Ball

I purchased some of this a couple years ago when it was cheap. I was going through my steel case pickups from the last couple times I went shooting and found 3 or 4 with a large gash down the side. Looks like they blew out in the chamber. I was firing them from a Mosin Nagant which the reciever is mad overkill strong, so I didn't even notice till now.

Just be Careful

-E

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased some of this a couple years ago when it was cheap. I was going through my steel case pickups from the last couple times I went shooting and found 3 or 4 with a large gash down the side. Looks like they blew out in the chamber. I was firing them from a Mosin Nagant which the reciever is mad overkill strong, so I didn't even notice till now.

Just be Careful

-E

My son bought some of the heavy ball ammo with the same results. One out of every two where split, we realized what was happening when on one round we couldn't even open the bolt. We were finally able to force the bolt open and then had to tap the split case out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. I've read about "sticky bolt" problems on the Mosins' and I believe this is what's happening. The bolt sticking is due to the case improperly expanding whether it splits or not.

I believe the heavy ammo was designed for more modern machine guns and not the old rifles. We now purchase only the 150gr bullets loads and have never had a problem since. I also reload the 7.62x54r using Prvi Brass, 150gr (.311) Prvi and 150gr (.312) Hornady bullets and 53gr of IMR4350. They shoot perfect too.

Just be Careful

-E

My son bought some of the heavy ball ammo with the same results. One out of every two where split, we realized what was happening when on one round we couldn't even open the bolt. We were finally able to force the bolt open and then had to tap the split case out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. I've read about "sticky bolt" problems on the Mosins' and I believe this is what's happening. The bolt sticking is due to the case improperly expanding whether it splits or not.

I believe the heavy ammo was designed for more modern machine guns and not the old rifles. We now purchase only the 150gr bullets loads and have never had a problem since. I also reload the 7.62x54r using Prvi Brass, 150gr (.311) Prvi and 150gr (.312) Hornady bullets and 53gr of IMR4350. They shoot perfect too.

I'm just starting to look into expanding my arsenal a bit, and have been looking at the Mosin-Nagant as a pretty good (cheap) long rifle option. Looking around and reading online, I've been struck by how many people say to stick with the 148-150gr loads for the 7.62x54r, so that's what I'll be ordering.

My question:

Where are you guys finding good deals on it? I'm leaning toward the Hungarian or Bulgarian 440-round tins, but definitely looking to save a buck wherever possible. This rifle and ammo are really more for fun and hobby rather than any kind of competition or hunting purposes.

Also, who's got good deals on 7.62x39mm (either HP or FMJ are fine with me)? I've been using the Wolf ammo for a while, but I'm on my last couple hundred rounds out of a 1000-round brick I bought at a gun show a while back.

Thanks in advance, and any tips are appreciated,

Mike

i had a bunch of S & B brass cased ammo (5 boxes) and they were a bad case batch, i found a couple with splits on the neck when i was picking the emptys up, i looked at the unfired ones and they were all split down the neck. i called and emailed the US S&B branch and they basically blew me off .after 3 attemps, i gave up and pulled the last 82 bullets and threw away the brass. but needless to say Ill never buy their ammo again.

post-9054-1212616857.jpg

post-9054-1212616871.jpg

Edited by pacomdiver