I've begun gathering parts and tools to start PG conversion on my7.62x39 and if all goes well I'll do the same on my S-20. My question is, if I don't like the look/ functionality of reattatching the trigger guard with screws then grinding them down, what kind of rivets and tool shoud I buy to get an original as possible look? :unsure:

Thanks!

Find somebody in your area with an AK trigger guard rivet jig. They'll probably have the rivets, too.

Spending $100 on a jig you'll use once doesn't make sense to me.

Both of the screws will be covered, by the pistol grip and the magazine catch. I actually just wedged mine in there without screws and it holds plenty secure.

D'OH

Sorry, I'm in Kalashnikov build mode and didn't even click that the safety stop and trigger guard are different on the Saiga.

On the .223 and 7.62x39 you can definitely use a screw on the back end and wedge the front end under the mag release tower. The trigger guard is a non load bearing item and this method works quite well.

i sat for a while looking at my options when i did the conversion and decided the rivets and screw look was bad, at least to me, so i fired up the welder and closed up my unwanted holes and ground the excess flat with a dremel.

I'm on the way to Lowe's to get a Dremel tool this morning which I understand is what most people use to cut off the trigger guard. Which attachment in particular do you guys use to cut off the trigger guard? I want to be sure it either come with the kit, or I purchase it separately. thanks!

David

I used the high speed steel cutting tool. dont recall what it was made of... it wasnt cheap, though...I can recall that it was like 12 bucks for the part... but it ripped through the spotweld like nothing...

for the rest of the conversion I used the fiber cutoff wheels on all the other parts. I did my last conversion COMPLETELY with a dremel... no other power tool.

:smoke:

I used the high speed steel cutting tool. dont recall what it was made of... it wasnt cheap, though...I can recall that it was like 12 bucks for the part... but it ripped through the spotweld like nothing...

for the rest of the conversion I used the fiber cutoff wheels on all the other parts. I did my last conversion COMPLETELY with a dremel... no other power tool.

Cool,I just got the dremel 200 at Lowes. Its the two speed, 15000 and 35000 rpm. i also got the $9 accessories set for cutting. hopefully this will be all I need. I'm sure I'll be hollering for help though........

Cool,I just got the dremel 200 at Lowes. Its the two speed, 15000 and 35000 rpm. i also got the $9 accessories set for cutting. hopefully this will be all I need. I'm sure I'll be hollering for help though........

Just watch yourself with that Dremel tool Dude! You can get just as caught up buying shit for it as you can buying accessories for your Saiga!! :dollar:

• 3 weeks later...

I attached mine to the mag catch a little differently. I used a small black button head (rounded) socket head cap screw (#8 i think) on the inside of the guard, and into the mag catch housing. Looks like the factory did it, nice and clean. I did it this way cause I had trouble drilling up inside the mag catch mechanism.

No power tool necessary. I took my flat metal file and started filing, using the edge of the file, right where the trigger guard bends between the two holes. 30 seconds and get about half way through the metal and just bend it. It will snap off clean. No dremel needed for the entire conversion.