ammo self defense question...

I have a 9mm and my wife has a 38 for home protection. We live in a subdivision with the next house about 15 feet from wall to wall. There are lots of windows. Outer walls are siding. No other folks in other rooms aside from the master BR.

I have some Winchester Walmart Whitebox Hollow Points in 9 and 38+P.

Will HP in these calibers go through a bad guy? If i miss a BG, will it go through walls/windows and hit the next house? Any advise on what I can load them with so I'm sure I wont hurt a nieghbor? Are those shotshells any good?

Thanks in advance.

(The Saigas are for Zombies - and i'm sure that will go through stuff)

since no one else chimed in on this I guess I will. I guess the correct answer would be "it depends" It depends on what the walls are made of, etc, etc,

9mm and 38+p are both high speed penetrating rounds, hollow points will cause faster expansion but they will probably continue though a wall in the event of a miss. The best rounds for home protection if you are worried about what lays behind the target would be something like a safety slug or a shotgun with a lighter bird round #6 or #7 shot (or even lighter)

A .45acp or 45colt HP or Lead are pretty slow and generally wont over penetrate.

Just my opinion

-E

They will go through sheet rock easily. If you have a brick exterior they will not penetrate. If you shoot the window they will. Best bet is to be sure of your target and be sure that you achieve a solid hit (center mass). They wil probably penetrate target if shot in an extremity unless you hit large bone dead on. Too many variables to say anything definitively. Refer to bolded statement for only real advice I have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glasers are great for revolvers, but too expensive to test for reliable feeding/extraction in a semi-auto. I wont trust ANY semi-auto for defense until I have at least 200 rounds of carry ammo in it with zero malfuntions. 200 rounds of Glaser would cost more than the gun itself would. My 9mm Beretta is stoked with the inexpensive Federal standard-pressure 115 gr JHP's, I bought 400 rounds on sale for $12 a box. The gun runs 100% with them, recoil is manageable, and they are very accurate.

Edited by soberups