Question about the Saiga's gas settings

Hi. I just bought a Saiga-12 at the Crossroads show and have found that it came with no owner's manual. That's no big deal since it's just a big AK.

Anyway, I see that the gas plug has a setting "1" and setting "2". Which one should I be using for 2 3/4 shells? Is this an adjustment for standard and magnum shells or to step up the gas when the gun gets dirty?

Thanks!

This has been covered extensively. If you do a search on this forum with the key words 'gas setting' you'll get a wealth of information and links.

Also, make sure to THOROUGHLY clean your gun before use. These were shipped with a healthy coat of cosmoline and you'll want to strip it bare. . . . even to the point of disasembling the bolt and pulling the firing pin out. If you neglect this you'll soon run into problems, so get the grease out!

That said, have fun and report back when you're done breaking it in!

:super:

Makc, there is written that i have to use position "1" when fireing slugs ? Even when i use non magnum slugs i have to use "1" ? I have fired slugs only once, thats why i have no experience, but i used position "2" withno probs...is this wrong anyway ?

Is it possible the gun not to reload the next shell cause the pressure is too low ? (using "1" for non magnum shells, but slugs) ?