I finally got around to trying the case damage "cure" mentioned previously on this Forum. It involved glueing plastic door edge guard to the receiver cover to minimize damage caused by the case ejection into the edge of the cover. Please understand that this was a "test of concept" (Yup! I watch the MythBusters) so it ain't pretty just down 'n dirty.

I had an old piece of edge guard that fell off of my daughter's car and saved for this purpose. After trimming a couple of pieces with a razor blade I pulled out the old tube of "GOOP" from the drawer and discovered that it was a bit older than I thought. Nonetheless, I worked the lumpy stuff into the grooves and applied it to the receiver cover.

gallery_4307_183_156637.jpg

I told you it was ugly. After a day it was solid except for the very tip. The action worked smoothly with no contact.

Today it was off to the range. The first shot was not aimed. I was mainly concerned with where the case would land and what kind of condition it was in. Before the mod, my cases would eject a bit forward of my position. Now, they eject almost straight to the right. They were hitting my truck and I had to move it. Overall, I am very pleased. The Saiga still dings the brass. The dings used to have a very defined, sharp contour. Now, you can see that much of the energy has been spread out resulting in a very shallow ding.

gallery_4307_183_103245.jpg

This is a variety of spent cases. I wanted some contrast to display the dents but this view exaggerates them a bit. The "deepest" ones aren't really that bad. I won't have any qualms about reloading them another time. We'll see what they look like the next time.

Obviously, my Saiga brass will remain separate from my fire formed T/C Encore .223 cases. Now that I have proven to myself that this mod works, I will tear the stuff off and do it right.

My thanks to "MD_Willington" who suggested this.

Edited by pogy
  • Like 2
I finally got around to trying the case damage "cure" mentioned previously on this Forum. It involved glueing plastic door edge guard to the receiver cover to minimize damage caused by the case ejection into the edge of the cover. Please understand that this was a "test of concept" (Yup! I watch the MythBusters) so it ain't pretty just down 'n dirty.

I had an old piece of edge guard that fell off of my daughter's car and saved for this purpose. After trimming a couple of pieces with a razor blade I pulled out the old tube of "GOOP" from the drawer and discovered that it was a bit older than I thought. Nonetheless, I worked the lumpy stuff into the grooves and applied it to the receiver cover.

gallery_4307_183_156637.jpg

I told you it was ugly. After a day it was solid except for the very tip. The action worked smoothly with no contact.

Today it was off to the range. The first shot was not aimed. I was mainly concerned with where the case would land and what kind of condition it was in. Before the mod, my cases would eject a bit forward of my position. Now, they eject almost straight to the right. They were hitting my truck and I had to move it. Overall, I am very pleased. The Saiga still dings the brass. The dings used to have a very defined, sharp contour. Now, you can see that much of the energy has been spread out resulting in a very shallow ding.

gallery_4307_183_103245.jpg

This is a variety of spent cases. I wanted some contrast to display the dents but this view exaggerates them a bit. The "deepest" ones aren't really that bad. I won't have any qualms about reloading them another time. We'll see what they look like the next time.

Obviously, my Saiga brass will remain separate from my fire formed T/C Encore .223 cases. Now that I have proven to myself that this mod works, I will tear the stuff off and do it right.

My thanks to "MD_Willington" who suggested this.

Thanks for the first-hand-experience/update!

;>)

• 1 year later...

there is a rubber liquid product that is meant to dip tool handles in for added traction, that you could dip your charging handle into, as well. If you look at the various slo-mo videos out there of kalashnikov type weaponry, you will see that the shell hits the charging handle on the way out, as well.

Maybe doing that will help cut down on your case damage as well. Hell, wrap it with electrical tape a bunch of times, to see if it even is going to help at all, before you spend the couple bucks on the jar of stuff....

• 1 year later...

MY new saiga 223 is doing the same thing to my brass.I bought some small door molding to try and find out which part of the rifle the case is hitting.when I find out,I am going to use the drimmel tool to cut back that part until it stops.I ordered a new top with scope mount so if I ruen no problem but if I fix I will post..shagman

Guys, it really is not difficult to solve that annoying denting problem at all. I took a roll of regular standard black electric tape and cut 4 small pieces of around one and a half inches and placed them one in top of the other so it became thicker . Then , I placed the piece at the end of the cover , where the rds hit , and contourned it with scissors to the edge of the cover so it looks nice .. I go to the range , shoot the rifle , the rds hit the tape and when I come back I just slide out the outside piece of tape that has been marred by the cartridges and replace it with a new one, then , voila , a brand new , perfect unmarked cover. I must add that I don`t reload , but I was concerned with marring the cover. PSLs and SVDs have the same problem and since I was already using the tape with it ( I came up with the idea once when I saw a photo of a russian soldier shooting an SVD , and on the photo he had placed a piece of Velcro on the rifle`s cover. I assumed that tape would be even better ) very succesfully , I just did the same to my .223 Saiga.

Edited by josey88