Does 922r apply to the Saiga 30-06?

Does 922-r and all the '10-or-less' parts rules apply to 30-06 rifles, in particular the Saiga 30-06, or only to non-importable, "unsporting" rifles? Asked another way; can a Saiag 30-06 evenbe considered "non sproting" by definition?

Reason I ask is because in order to be an assault rifle, the cartridge case length must be 2.25 inches or less

("...Rifles chambered to accept a centerfire cartridge case having a length of 2.25 inches or less (includes .223 and 7.62 X 39); and...")

where a 30-06 has a case length of 2.494 inches (and an Cartridge AOL of 3.34 in, FWIW), which is of course longer than 2.25 inches.

Please school me on the intricacies of this part of 922-r; as i can find no reference specifically on it.

If the S-30-06 is "sporting" by definition, then can a conversion, a la Tromix- so far the only one known, be done with no regard to final parts count?

Thx,

C-

Does 922-r and all the '10-or-less' parts rules apply to 30-06 rifles, in particular the Saiga 30-06, or only to non-importable, "unsporting" rifles? Asked another way; can a Saiag 30-06 evenbe considered "non sproting" by definition?

Reason I ask is because in order to be an assault rifle, the cartridge case length must be 2.25 inches or less

("...Rifles chambered to accept a centerfire cartridge case having a length of 2.25 inches or less (includes .223 and 7.62 X 39); and...")

where a 30-06 has a case length of 2.494 inches (and an Cartridge AOL of 3.34 in, FWIW), which is of course longer than 2.25 inches.

Please school me on the intricacies of this part of 922-r; as i can find no reference specifically on it.

If the S-30-06 is "sporting" by definition, then can a conversion, a la Tromix- so far the only one known, be done with no regard to final parts count?

Thx,

C-

$.02...not a lawyer.. etc

Is the case length section in 922R? if it is, then it might mean it doesn't apply. If it is a law from somewhere else, then I think you'd have to follow the definition of "assault wepon" in 922r terms.

On the other hand, it is very easy to convert, and if you use the commonly available us made parts for it, you'll hit 922r compliance very quickly.

The 30-06 rifle is not easy to convert. Only 1 has been converted and that was by Tony himself. But to answer your question without answering, It's just easier to buy some USA parts than to worry about it.

Applies to all center fire semi auto...

Now if they made a .22LR Saiga then hey go to town

or

If they would ever import the straight pull bolt model you can get in Europe then you can go to town on that too

Applies to all center fire semi auto...

Now if they made a .22LR Saiga then hey go to town

or

If they would ever import the straight pull bolt model you can get in Europe then you can go to town on that too

+1

if its got an import tax stamp under semi automatic firearm, then 922r applies. rifles ten rounds, shotguns 5 rounds, etc.

technically, this topic should be in the 922/the LAW section of the tech section. no biggie

• 1 month later...
The 30-06 rifle is not easy to convert. Only 1 has been converted and that was by Tony himself. But to answer your question without answering, It's just easier to buy some USA parts than to worry about it.

sorry for hijacking the tread, but i'm looking for a pic of tony's 30-06 conversion. Anyone have a link to the thread?

You guys are missing the point to 922r.

922r only kicks in if you use 11+ capacity mags in it (as this makes it unsporting).

Until you stick an 11+ round mag in it, you can pretty much do what you want with it.

When I last looked, there weren't that many 30.06 Saigas in the country, much less 11+ round magazines for it.

• 3 months later...

An unmodified Saiga 30-06 or a Saiga in any of the stock imported configurations does not have to comply with 922® because it is approved for import according to the guidelines of 925. If you change that configuration by adding a high-capacity magazine or any features that would render it non-sporting and not legal for import as assembled, it must comply.