I want to begin by saying I am pumped up after recieving my saiga! I have quite a bit of rifles but the reason I am pumped up about my saiga is I want to build it up. I need some info and maybe some guidance to get started. I know I need to drop a new FCG in it and convert it to use a pistol grip. By reading this forum there are alot of you guys that know what you are doing. If some of you guys don't mind and tell me or lead the way to some info on how to convert it. Are any of the foregrips for Ak's fit on the Saiga? Is there a conversion kit/package I can get that will come w/ the FCG and everything I need for a pistol grip?

I appreciate it for any responses. Thanks

I got my front traditional ak style grips working using a bolt on retainer for the lower handguard, and a replacement gas tube with upper handguard brackets that I got from Dinzag . They work great. I got a 4 piece wood stock set from Matt at Ironwood designs . It is outstanding as well. The link from Dinzag says he may soon offer products for Saiga's, but I just emailed him and told him what I have (Saiga .308) and he made a set that works. He even hand cut a sling swivel cut for me on the right side of the buttstock, since I am left handed, at no extra charge, which was a nice bit of customer service that was well appreciated by me. It did require some minor fitting of the tenon on the lower handguard, but I think this is normal, to insure a secure fit, he leaves them slightly big. The upper handguard was a little bit tricky to install. You have to install it upside down, then I had to make sure that the grooves on the ends of the handguard were clear of any finish buildup, add some lube, and use a wrench to grab the gas tube as you twist it for all you are worth lol. It spins around into the proper alignment. Both pieces fit rock solid and really add a lot to the conversion in my opinion. Changing the front handguards is of course optional, and can be done at any time in the future after you complete the FCG, pistol grip, and buttstock.

As for "how-to" resources, the most helpful one I found by far was a video series on youtube that can be found here :

. The rest of the series can be found using the small link window to the right of the video screen. Edited by LKB3rd

Hey, glad to hear you are finding the info useful.

The part of your question about getting stuff from one source:

I originally planned to get all of my stuff from Dinzag, if possible, and he does have most of the stuff.. All of it for some styles of conversion. I emailed him about a wood stock set, and he sent me to Ironwood. I wanted to get his FCG, but the other parts I ordered needed custom fitting for the .308, and I wanted to start right away, so I got an RSA FCG. I got some parts from Midway as well.

Point being, finding parts kits or all of them from one vendor/builder is pretty tough, unless you are doing a basic/standard conversion. If you are, then you could probably get all of your stuff from Dinzag. I ended up ordering from 3 or 4 places to get all of the stuff for an old school wood furniture conversion.

Edited by LKB3rd

I originally planned to get all of my stuff from Dinzag, if possible, and he does have most of the stuff.. All of it for some styles of conversion. I emailed him about a wood stock set, and he sent me to Ironwood. I wanted to get his FCG, but the other parts I ordered needed custom fitting for the .308, and I wanted to start right away, so I got an RSA FCG. I got some parts from Midway as well.

Point being, finding parts kits or all of them from one vendor/builder is pretty tough, unless you are doing a basic/standard conversion. If you are, then you could probably get all of your stuff from Dinzag. I ended up ordering from 3 or 4 places to get all of the stuff for an old school wood furniture conversion.

Sounds like you are working on something good there! If you are done and don't mind showing a picture I would appreciate it. I have not ordered anything yet cause I am still overthinking the exact furniture I want. I think I am going to order the FCG this weekend. Thanks again

Sounds like you are working on something good there! If you are done and don't mind showing a picture I would appreciate it. I have not ordered anything yet cause I am still overthinking the exact furniture I want. I think I am going to order the FCG this weekend. Thanks again

I don't have any pics right now but when I do I will add them to the .308 picture thread. I am finishing up the finish on the stocks right now. I ended up doing yellow, under gunstock brown with a cherry tinted topcoat. Ended up a dark cherry-chocolate.

The above link is to the first part of a series of videos following the Cross-conn guide for conversion. They're pretty helpful to a conversion newb as it adds another visual aid. It also shows how is "so easy, a caveman can do it". I had doubts before attempting my conversion and these videos kicked those doubts to the curb.

The above link is to the first part of a series of videos following the Cross-conn guide for conversion. They're pretty helpful to a conversion newb as it adds another visual aid. It also shows how is "so easy, a caveman can do it". I had doubts before attempting my conversion and these videos kicked those doubts to the curb.

I saw that the other day and saved it for when I start the conversion. It's good to see other people passionate about their rifles, the wife still doesn't understand :killer:

I don't have any pics right now but when I do I will add them to the .308 picture thread. I am finishing up the finish on the stocks right now. I ended up doing yellow, under gunstock brown with a cherry tinted topcoat. Ended up a dark cherry-chocolate.

Now that sounds pretty dam nice! Did the stock come unfinished? I am still undecided w/ the stock. I have my SKS on a Draganov stock and don't want twins so I am leaning to the T-6 but there seems to be a drop from the end to the stock itself so I am not seing a comfortable cheeck hold. They are good on the M-4 which is my assigned weapon, but alittle different from a .22 round to a 30 cal round. I also want to try to get ghosts sights put on and move the front sight post back to the end of the foregrips.

Now that sounds pretty dam nice! Did the stock come unfinished? I am still undecided w/ the stock. I have my SKS on a Draganov stock and don't want twins so I am leaning to the T-6 but there seems to be a drop from the end to the stock itself so I am not seing a comfortable cheeck hold. They are good on the M-4 which is my assigned weapon, but alittle different from a .22 round to a 30 cal round. I also want to try to get ghosts sights put on and move the front sight post back to the end of the foregrips.

Yea the stock set came unfinished. I got the birch set, solid. He has laminated birch, laminated mahogany I believe as well as a few other choices. The butt is cut for the butt plate which has the little trap door for the toolkit. Very cool design. I still haven't found a military butt plate for it. The butt stock shape is excellent, and the hand grip cuts on the lower handguard are clean and very comfortable. I think the set is modeled after an AKM set. Clean lines and cuts all around.

I put a mojo micro click aperture rear sight on it and a front aperture that I got from midway with a little crosshair in it ( http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005 ). Both made for a really noticeable improvement in sighting, and are very clean visually, no noticeable change from the normal ak look.

Yea the stock set came unfinished. I got the birch set, solid. He has laminated birch, laminated mahogany I believe as well as a few other choices. The butt is cut for the butt plate which has the little trap door for the toolkit. Very cool design. I still haven't found a military butt plate for it. The butt stock shape is excellent, and the hand grip cuts on the lower handguard are clean and very comfortable. I think the set is modeled after an AKM set. Clean lines and cuts all around.

I put a mojo micro click aperture rear sight on it and a front aperture that I got from midway with a little crosshair in it ( http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005 ). Both made for a really noticeable improvement in sighting, and are very clean visually, no noticeable change from the normal ak look.

Hey LKB,

I keep looking at those KNS sight inserts. Is there anyway you could give us some pics of how that looks on yours?

Thanx,

HarvKY

Hey LKB,

I keep looking at those KNS sight inserts. Is there anyway you could give us some pics of how that looks on yours?

Thanx,

HarvKY

Yea, I am going to borrow a camera later today and try to get some pics online. I'll link the the .308 pic thread from here, which is where I'll post em.

ETA: The camera I borrowed was new and didn't have a memory stick, so the pics are still a work in progress, sorry.

Edited by LKB3rd

what helped me was printing out the pages of the sheik's conversion tutorial, and looking it over for a couple days before beginning. Helps to have the rifle there to compare to the photos, it makes a world of difference.

Also, i recommend purchasing all you need and having all your tools (dremel, punches, ect.) BEFORE you begin. You wouldnt start cooking without all the ingredients, right? That way you dont have to stop partway through and wait on parts or tools to arrive.

As for the hanguard, dont be afraid to get creative with the stock one. Drill it, cut it, whatever.

Here's what I used for tools:

hammer

small punch

drill

1/4 carbide bit (to drill out factory rivets)

#6-32 tap with drill bit

tap handle

dremel (for hanguard and bullet guide)

red loctite (for bullet guide screw)

hacksaw (for bullet guide)

you can do it, just go slow and ask LOTS of questions if you need to

Quick question for those of you who have converted-is it necessary (or even advisable) to replace the .223 stock? I want to add a PG to mine, and realize that requires moving and replacing the FCG, but what about the factory stock? Can I replace that at a later date if I so choose? TIA.

Quick question for those of you who have converted-is it necessary (or even advisable) to replace the .223 stock? I want to add a PG to mine, and realize that requires moving and replacing the FCG, but what about the factory stock? Can I replace that at a later date if I so choose? TIA.

I suppose you could keep the original monte carlo stock, but I don't know how well egonomically it would work with the PG. (Might look goofy too, but thats subjective). If your part count is ok, you could replace it later. It's an easy US part to put on though.

I suppose you could keep the original monte carlo stock, but I don't know how well egonomically it would work with the PG. (Might look goofy too, but thats subjective). If your part count is ok, you could replace it later. It's an easy US part to put on though.

Well, I'm liking the Tapco SAW PG in Dark Earth, and they carry this stock Linky as well. Any reason it would not be a good replacement for the factory one?

what helped me was printing out the pages of the sheik's conversion tutorial, and looking it over for a couple days before beginning. Helps to have the rifle there to compare to the photos, it makes a world of difference.

Also, i recommend purchasing all you need and having all your tools (dremel, punches, ect.) BEFORE you begin. You wouldnt start cooking without all the ingredients, right? That way you dont have to stop partway through and wait on parts or tools to arrive.

As for the hanguard, dont be afraid to get creative with the stock one. Drill it, cut it, whatever.

Here's what I used for tools:

hammer

small punch

drill

1/4 carbide bit (to drill out factory rivets)

#6-32 tap with drill bit

tap handle

dremel (for hanguard and bullet guide)

red loctite (for bullet guide screw)

hacksaw (for bullet guide)

you can do it, just go slow and ask LOTS of questions if you need to

I am right on track of what you are saying. At this time I am collecting the parts I am changing out...Tapco saw grip in OD, Tapco T6 collaspable stock in OD, and just purchased the Fusion grips in OD. I just need to get the single hook FCG. I am learning patience but pretty excited as the parts come in. But I do agree w/ ya about gathering your tools first ( ingredients ) and printing out the steps. Good way to go!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update...I got a Tapco T-6 OD stock, Saw grip OD, and Tapco Fusion hanguards OD. I just need to get the FCG ( single hook ) and I should be good to go! This may be retarded and impatient but I am thinking about going ahead and put the stock and grip on then add the FCG later. What do you all think?

Just an update...I got a Tapco T-6 OD stock, Saw grip OD, and Tapco Fusion hanguards OD. I just need to get the FCG ( single hook ) and I should be good to go! This may be retarded and impatient but I am thinking about going ahead and put the stock and grip on then add the FCG later. What do you all think?

If you want to use the manual bolt hold-open, I would get a modified G2 FCG from Dinzag. They work great.

You can put the PG and new stock on before installing the new FCG. Of course, you'll need to take care of removing the bottom cover plate and repositioning the trigger guard first.

I am thinking about going ahead and put the stock and grip on then add the FCG later. What do you all think?

It is up to you but I wouldn't. You might want to shoot the thing once or twice before all your parts arrive. I'm in the same boat as you, my s-12 is waiting on one part. It is killing me to have most of the parts and not start converting it. I just tell myself that it will be sweeter to get the parts, do the conversion, take it out and fire it, rather than stare at peices and say "hopefully tommorrow"

How are you gonna put a PG on it, without putting in the new FCG? Putting a PG on it requires moving the trigger group forward, which you need the new FCG for.

How are you gonna put a PG on it, without putting in the new FCG? Putting a PG on it requires moving the trigger group forward, which you need the new FCG for.

I don't think he means that he would continue to use the factory FCG with the PG in place (which wouldn't work). Instead, I think he just means that he would perform the conversion up to the point of putting the new FCG in while waiting for it to arrive. Then when it did arrive, he would install it.

I don't think he means that he would continue to use the factory FCG with the PG in place (which wouldn't work). Instead, I think he just means that he would perform the conversion up to the point of putting the new FCG in while waiting for it to arrive. Then when it did arrive, he would install it.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. I did some work on mine before all my parts came in too.

I was thinking he was talking about shooting it.

You are right....I just wanted to start the conversion which I did. I took it apart two days ago and ordered the G2 single hook yesturday from Tapco. I wanted to get the drilling out of the way but I am having trouble drilling through the welds on the trigger guard. I went out and got new drill bits but still can't get through. I used my dremel to flatten them out but the damn bits won't penetrate. I am using a Black and Decker bit.....is there a holy type of drill bit I should be using?