hey everybody

can anybody shed some light on the serial number suffix on my norinco sks?

factory 26 and a nice "P" stamped after the serial.

i've read that this MAY mean "precision" rifle and this may be true. it has the long barrel (20 inches i believe) and there was some sort of scope mount that was pinned to the side of the receiver that was cut off and ground down. what a shame to degrade a rifle in such a way.

i'll try to post pics in a bit.

post-987-1210821440_thumb.jpg

post-987-1210821454_thumb.jpg

Edited by TWGLADF
hey everybody

can anybody shed some light on the serial number suffix on my norinco sks?

factory 26 and a nice "P" stamped after the serial.

i've read that this MAY mean "precision" rifle and this may be true. it has the long barrel (20 inches i believe) and there was some sort of scope mount that was pinned to the side of the receiver that was cut off and ground down. what an idiot to degrade a rifle in such a way.

i'll try to post pics in a bit.

Isn't factory 26 a pretty common code. I agree, an sks is best in its origional configuration. No reason messing with it.

Not sure about the P stamp but these guys should know.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

thanks saigaboy, but i believe thats where i got the "MAY" mean precision rifle info.

now that you mention it i have seen more factory 26 rifles that any other. guess they produced the most out of the chinese factories, but this is the first that i've seen with the "P" suffix. it is the threaded barrel to receiver and milled trigger guard model.

recently picked it up from a buddy for $150 had a choate drag stock, pinned brake, and cheap garbage detachable mag. i've since converted her back to original form, only thing that sucks is the only matching numbers are the bolt, carrier, and reciever. but as far as shootability those are the ones that count. the rest are all for collectability which i'm not too worried about since i'm gonna shoot it. alot!

Your rifle is a type 56 carbine (thats what the 3 Chinese symbols say) made at factory 26 (number inside triangle) in the year 1967. The "P" stamp after the serial number stands for "Pakistan", as that is the country this rifle was originally built for. The Chinese pumped out millions of type 56 carbines to civil uprisings abroad that it had aligned itself with or sold arms through contract. There is also alot of old SKSs around with the "B" stamp after the serial numbers for "bagladesh".

I agree with keeping the rifle in its original configuration. Even if your going to shot it alot, there is no reason to change it.

• 3 years later...

Guys,

I came across this thread in a Google search.

I hope the original posters are still members.

I recently bought a Type 56 Chinese SKS in an estate sale and found something very interesting in the butt stock; a piece of cloth (see pics).

Not sure why it was put there but can only assume that somebody had a good reason. Also, this gun has NO IMPORT MARKINGS!!!

Is it a war trophy?

Which war?

Is there a way to trace the serial #?

346005616_photobucket_82766_.jpg

346005616_photobucket_82764_.jpg

I am intrigued, to say the least.

FTS