I made this post in the tech section about a stubborn .308 gas block last week:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=25933

I thought I would follow it up with a few pics of my progress. Whats the point without a few pics, right?

After I ordered my new gas block from Red Jacket, thanks again Will, I set to work cutting mine off. I scored it just deep enough with a fiber disc so as not to cut into the bbl. A few solid whacks along the seam with a cold chisel and it cracked right open, no damage to the bbl. What I like about this is it would be really easy to weld it back up to repair it if I had to, which I don't, and of course I didn't score the bbl. If you expand the pic you ought to be able to see where it cracked, right down the middle of the slice.

post-4495-1210952472_thumb.jpg

At this point I was able to remove it with my bare hands, ah, sweet victory. I found out why it was so stuck at this point as well. Apparently it had been pressed on along with some metal filings which had galled up the whole affair quite nicely.

post-4495-1210952493_thumb.jpg

Once it was off I was able to start making the HG retainer. I cut up an existing retainer and welded it all back together with a piece of steel conduit. I got this idea from Dinzag here: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...amp;hl=retainer At the time he was offering the same retainer for $75 shipped, well let me tell you, if he is still willing to make these things at that price it is a hell of a deal. There is no way I could make one for anywhere near that price, nor am I as good of a welder. I only did it myself because I just cant help it.

post-4495-1210952817_thumb.jpg

Next was to notch the bbl and fit up the retainer.

post-4495-1210952849_thumb.jpg

post-4495-1210952804_thumb.jpg

And here is what it should look like when I get my new GB from Will.

post-4495-1210952874_thumb.jpg

The .308 may be a little butch, but a blonde is a blonde and I like it.

Is that an M-14 mag? If so how did you work that out?

It is, but modded. I pretty much followed a tutorial that was posted here some time ago. I'll see if I can dig up a link.

The main differences between mine and the tutorial are that I welded instead of JB and I also milled out the trunnion slightly, just to make it wider, but not deeper. I chose to use CMI mags, they are pretty high quality and they are a little to wide at the front to fit. Others had tried to squeeze the mags to make them more narrow with pretty mixed results, so I figured it would be better to open the magwell slightly and avoid that whole mess. It's a mod to both the gun and the mags, mostly the mags, but it doesn't effect the use of stock or FBMG mags at all.

I did it when the FBMGs were harder to come by. I don't know that it was worth it, but it was fun and it works flawlessly. I got it to work on all 20 rounds also. This required a very slight mod to the bolt that I deemed safe, but might not recommend without a disclaimer.

I'll post a couple of pics and it will make more sense.

...and I just took the pics. Can you tell that I was just waiting for someone to ask? :D

The trick, it seems to me, to getting the feed angle right is to take all of your measurements off of the top round as opposed to the mag itself. Here are some comparison shots with an unmodded M14 mag for reference.

post-4495-1210968842_thumb.jpg

post-4495-1210968858_thumb.jpg

post-4495-1210968870_thumb.jpg

Here you can see that all I really did was square up the front of the magwell to just a bit larger than the front of the M14 mag. The shiny spots are just normal wear from the mag rocking in.

post-4495-1210968880_thumb.jpg

Well the pics aren't perfect but you get the idea, basically the same as in the above link. I don't know why anyone would do this at this point, it's just another example of how I can't help myself. I actually plan to make more, how sick is that?

• 6 months later...
...and I just took the pics. Can you tell that I was just waiting for someone to ask? :D

The trick, it seems to me, to getting the feed angle right is to take all of your measurements off of the top round as opposed to the mag itself. Here are some comparison shots with an unmodded M14 mag for reference.

post-4495-1210968842_thumb.jpg

post-4495-1210968858_thumb.jpg

post-4495-1210968870_thumb.jpg

Here you can see that all I really did was square up the front of the magwell to just a bit larger than the front of the M14 mag. The shiny spots are just normal wear from the mag rocking in.

post-4495-1210968880_thumb.jpg

Well the pics aren't perfect but you get the idea, basically the same as in the above link. I don't know why anyone would do this at this point, it's just another example of how I can't help myself. I actually plan to make more, how sick is that?

You definately got bragging rights there ArcFault!

FBMG mags are no more and the surefires won't stand the gaff and have a floorplate that makes them useless to me and I just happen to have a crate of 25rd CMI mags to work on so I will be joining the ranks of the metal magazine crowd shortly.

I like metal magazines better anyway since my S308 sports laminated furniture the plastic just looks weird in it.

Thanks!

I would like to make one thing more clear, that is, how I got the gun to work on a full M14 mag. The lower locking lug on the bolt is only a part of the problem.

What I did was polish the lug, not grind, polish. The polishing does round the sharp edges which slightly reduces the mating surface but not by much. What you are trying to do is just make the bolt slide over the top round a little smoother. I may catch hell for doing this, but I don't feel as though it was too big of a change as to render the gun dangerous. Just don't do it yourself unless you feel comfortable and most of all, remember, polish not grind. Say it over and over if you have to... polish not grind...

The other thing which is probably the most important is a slight mod to the mag follower. The follower has two legs on the bottom that limit the number of rounds you can load. What you want to do is grind the front leg down, say 1/8" - 3/16", maybe its more, I can't remember. This allows the follower to tilt just enough to ease the bolt over the top round.

One other thing I learned, don't silver solder. I welded the first few that I did, then I decided that it would be easier to silver solder, you see, I'm not the best welder and all I got is stick and MIG. I was right, it was easier for me until I loaded them up and started trying to cycle rounds through the gun. Silver solder just uses to much heat for to much time and this causes the mag bodies to warp. It took me an awful long time to get those mags working as a result. If you ask me spot welding would be the best, followed by TIG.

If you run into any trouble let me know, maybe I can help.

Well, good luck and have fun.