Is it illegal to have a 30 round mag in massghanistan. I was at the range today with my newly adapted Saiga and this guy freeked out cuz I was shooting with a 30 round pro mag magazine. He said possesion of these is a felony. Is this for real?

It would be best to contact a gun rights group in your state, and ask them. but if my memory serves me (and im on the other side of the country) the MA law was a continuation of the clinton crime bill, almost exactly, and has the same grandfathering. So, it all depends on how old the mag is, and if it is so called Pre-Ban. Now, be cautious here, because im not positive about this, and dont know when the MA ban went into effect, and have no idea how you would prove it. :cryss: but, say if you just bought the mag on tuesday, yeah, you need to dispose of it, as MA has banned the sale or transfer of high cap mags

again, get in touch with a local group.

If it's anything like New York (which I don't know if it is), we have damn near the same ban as the federal 10 year ban. We can only have mags over 10 rounds if they are pre-ban.

There's lots of screwy gun laws out there, and I know Mass. is one the states which has them, but your best bet is what Rev.Franz said; get in touch with some locals. I know we have some Mass. residents here.

• 3 weeks later...

Thats the "You can do what you want at your own risk, cause I dont care personally, and we as state troopers are probably too lazy to do the paperwork on that crime" attitude....

He is saying yes, its illegal, but chances are NO ONE will bother you unless you get really stupid with it...

Figure accordingly... :up:

:smoke:

• 1 month later...

The previous posters were correct. As a Massachusetts resident and having done hours of research on the subject I have found that the Massachusetts Assault weapon ban prohibits the possession and transfer all high capacity feeding devices (ie magazines over 10 rounds) made after 1994. This has several implications for you and I. Number one the easiest way to do a conversion and remain 922r compliant is to include the three magazine parts along with a US made stock. That means you either have to A. Replace 3 more parts on the gun itself and get a foreign made pre-ban magazines, B. Find a US made pre 1994 magazine (which is from what I've been able to ascertain almost impossible), or C. a combination of both and get a foreign made pre-ban magazine replace two parts on the magazine with US made parts and add one more (total of two) onto the gun. Personally the first option seems best because then you can find magazines on the streets throw it on and not have to worry if it was made in America (Although you do have to worry about WHEN it was made). From what I understand from experiences on this forum most people prefer to not rely on the magazine for compliance anyways. The shining light is that as a previous poster has stated the Staties probably won't give a damn if they catch you with it. And also if you ever got into such a situation where they actually attempted to check the manufactured date of the magazine the burden of proof is on the government. With that said from what I understand it is nearly impossible to determine the manufacturing date of an AK magazine. There are certain features (I'm not sure what those features are) that show up on certain post-ban magazines that don't show up on similar pre-ban magazines and very few are actually stamped with a date. (Although I can guarantee a prosecutor's argument in a courtroom would go something like this "This gun owner in an attempt to circumvent the law put a threatening item and dangerous magazine on his firearm. From what we have learned, gun owners such as this man often times have illegal ambitions and there is absolutely no reason for the average citizen to be in possession of such an item." In Massachusetts where most of the population is liberal and anti-gun a testimony like this would probably win over the jury despite the lack of factual evidence and citation of the law. So you better be prepared with a good attorney.) Considering all of the aforementioned facts, advice, and scenarios put a 30 round magazine on your gun at your own risk (If you know its made before 1994 you have nothing to worry about). I would recommend buying the 30 rounder hiding it in your closet and only going out in public with the 10 round clip. If the cops find it, its still very much illegal but if LEOs are already INSIDE your house you probably have bigger problems on your hand than a "High Capacity Feeding Device."

Edited by Edmond Dantes
Number one the easiest way to do a conversion and remain 922r compliant is to include the three magazine parts along with a US made stock and trigger. That means you either have to A. Replace 3 more parts on the gun itself and get a foreign made pre-ban magazines, B. Find a US made pre 1994 magazine (which is from what I've been able to ascertain almost impossible), or C. a combination of both and get a foreign made pre-ban magazine replace two parts on the magazine with US made parts and add one more (total of three) onto the gun.

Since we are talking about 30 round mags, I'll assume we're talking about Saiga rifles. That being said, if you swapped out the factory trigger group and stock, and replaced them with US made ones, you're compliant................regardless of what kind of mags you use. You have replaced 4 foreign parts, with US made parts, so you're good to go, to use foreign 30 rounders (being that they are preban, per the OP's state of residence).

Since we are talking about 30 round mags, I'll assume we're talking about Saiga rifles. That being said, if you swapped out the factory trigger group and stock, and replaced them with US made ones, you're compliant................regardless of what kind of mags you use. You have replaced 4 foreign parts, with US made parts, so you're good to go, to use foreign 30 rounders (being that they are preban, per the OP's state of residence).

My bad that is very true. You have the Hammer, Trigger and Disconnector that comes with the trigger assembly. If all of those are US made you only need one more and the stock is probably the easiest. Now does he want to use the single or double catch trigger? Whats the difference? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

PS. I'm going to edit my post up top. I think I mistakenly told him he needs 5 more US made parts instead of 4.

Edited by Edmond Dantes

My bad that is very true. You have the Hammer, Trigger and Disconnector that comes with the trigger assembly. If all of those are US made you only need one more and the stock is probably the easiest. Now does he want to use the single or double catch trigger? Whats the difference? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

PS. I'm going to edit my post up top. I think I mistakenly told him he needs 5 more US made parts instead of 4.

I agree that the trigger group and stock are the easiest ways to compliance. That's the route I went.

As for which FCG to get, the single hook will drop right into a Saiga. The double hook will require you to either 1) shave some of the second hook, or 2) cut a slot into the receiver to let the second hook fit.

You'll be fine with a single hook, and no mods are required. Some say they have a better trigger pull with a double hook. So it's really up to the individual as to which way he wants to go. I went with the single hook.