Hey... good info is good info no matter where its from... and if I happened to hijack it from arfcom... so be it! :lol:

I figured it would be worthy to post and share here too! :up: :up:

:smoke:

Hey... good info is good info no matter where its from... and if I happened to hijack it from arfcom... so be it! :lol:

I figured it would be worthy to post and share here too! :up: :up:

:smoke:

No, I agree. It's very to-the-point, and not as confusing as reading some of the other break-downs of NY gun laws I've seen posted elsewhere.

the state law in NY was always an infringement on my personal liberties, and still is, if I choose to return to the state to live. the perversion of a rich man's will over the law of the common people that happened back home is disgusting.

-Ben V.

edit to add - I see some errors in the Q+A. An interesting one is with ammo restrictions, or the "lack" of them. Ammo amount restrictions are not in the gun laws, but in the storage of hazardous material laws or some shit. If you store more than a certain amount of ammunition, it must be stored in a MAGAZINE, and this requires a little paperwork, and a periodic inspection by the friendly boys in blue. How do I know this? I was going to be an ammunition dealer once upon a time, and started doing research into what I needed to do. This also applies to black powder storage in large quantities. Just like the seat belt laws, you can thank the insurance companies for that one, even if they do make a little more sense than restrict your rights...

The guy also does not address the municipality rules/laws for places like the rochester, buffalo, albany etc areas.

It is always risky to go by information that is not you yourself reading the letter of the law.

The black powder pistol laws apply to antiques as well. The BP gun isnt a gun in NY's eyes until it has the metal, the powder, the shot, and the caps in the same residence. I had to have a friend's mom check the house before I evaluated a civil war era cavalry rifle, for instance, due to the barrel being 14" long, to ensure it was not considered a SBR in the state's eyes before I started with my research and phone calls. Yehp, I was even asked by one of the people I spoke to if the three components were in the house.

I also do not support the NYSPRA due to some standpoints they had on a local level to where I lived against assault weapons and pretty much anything centerfire and semi auto in terms of long arms.

22 shooter - yeh I pointed out to a dealer back home that his wasr-10's with the slant breaks that were not permantly attached were not exactly legal, do to the fact that they could be swapped out. I went in the following week, and they were all welded in place. I guess they agreed when they looked at the letter of the law themselves and fixed the problem in short order.

• 2 months later...

i have been searching this message board for days, maybe i just dont get it but ,i have a saiga 7.62 i would like to covert. i know next to nothing about rifles but i have been shooting my friends rifles for awhile and i wanted to get an ak for plinking. i after doing a little reading , realized that i could not get an ak legaly in ny. so i went with the saiga 7.62 . i thought i would be able to covert it to have a muzzle break,hi-cap mag,pistal grip and maybe even a folding stock. am i wrong? i see all the kits online and i thought if i use american parts i would be good.any help on this would be great . :D

i have been searching this message board for days, maybe i just dont get it but ,i have a saiga 7.62 i would like to covert. i know next to nothing about rifles but i have been shooting my friends rifles for awhile and i wanted to get an ak for plinking. i after doing a little reading , realized that i could not get an ak legaly in ny. so i went with the saiga 7.62 . i thought i would be able to covert it to have a muzzle break,hi-cap mag,pistal grip and maybe even a folding stock. am i wrong? i see all the kits online and i thought if i use american parts i would be good.any help on this would be great . :D

A Saiga is an AK. You can own an AK legally in NY all day long, as long as you follow NY's ridiculous ban.

As far as NY and Saigas are concerned, the only thing you can't have, that you listed, is a folding stock. You can have any kind of muzzle brake (no flash hiders though), as long as it is permanently attached. You can have 30 round mags, as long as they are pre-ban (you can actually have a mag of any size, as long as it's pre-ban). You can have a pistol grip in NY.

The whole American parts issue is 922r, and is a Federal law. Read the 922r section for more on that.

I'm from NY too, and the Saiga I converted (see my sig. picture below) is 922r and NY State compliant.

22 shooter - yeh I pointed out to a dealer back home that his wasr-10's with the slant breaks that were not permantly attached were not exactly legal, do to the fact that they could be swapped out. I went in the following week, and they were all welded in place. I guess they agreed when they looked at the letter of the law themselves and fixed the problem in short order.

Yeah, I've seen some unknowing NY residents with non-NY-compliant goodies on their rifles. I think it's usually more of a not-knowing kind of thing, as opposed to people flat out breaking the law (which, yes, I know wouldn't make a difference in court). I'll admit, if I were the type to have just gone out and bought some guns, I wouldn't have any idea of NY's AWB. But I usually research stuff for awhile before I get into it. So lucky for me, when I got into firearms, I found out about the AWB we have here, during my reading.

thanks for the info 22 shooter. i will be calling my local gunsmith soon to add some goodies to my rifle. if you dont mind me asking what type of modifications did you do to your rifle ? just hoping to get an idea of the parts i could use. it just looks like you moved the trigger new butt stock and added a big mag. looks cool though.

So.... :unsure:

When Km Jung Il dies, who will be incharge of New York (New England for that matter) and Kalifornia?

Will there be a power vacuum?

Will Scott finally propose to Laura?

Will Bart Sipmson finally turn 11?

All I know it that I live in a Constitution-loving (2nd Amendment-embracing), AMERICAN State and wonder how we lost the Civil War... :rolleyes:

Oh wait, preserving the Union was FARRRRRR more importants than preserving individual Libertied garanteed in the Constitution that Yankees are so eager (then as now) to give up... :wub:

Silly me - I forget sometimes.... :ded:

thanks for the info 22 shooter. i will be calling my local gunsmith soon to add some goodies to my rifle. if you dont mind me asking what type of modifications did you do to your rifle ? just hoping to get an idea of the parts i could use. it just looks like you moved the trigger new butt stock and added a big mag. looks cool though.

No problem.

I did what most would consider a basic conversion, and exactly what you said. I put in a new FCG, new buttstock and bullet guide to use regular AK mags.

As far as exact parts, most people use the Tapco G2 for the FCG replacement. When it comes to buttstock, look around and see what you like. There's lots of options out there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"All I know it that I live in a Constitution-loving (2nd Amendment-embracing), AMERICAN State and wonder how we lost the Civil War... "

Not to lecture you but we should be careful when throwing stones. While the Civil War happened long before all of our times, the loss of going to Atlanta Hartsfield Airport with your pistol just happened a couple of months ago. At this time, I can still legally go to the airport (in the non-sterile area) with my pistol (not locked in the case for travel). When In Florida statewide, I have to wait till I get off the airport proper to get my weapon out and I have to have my pistol locked up in the hard case before I get back to the airport too. I am however thankful that I am allowed to carry in your fine states, and I am sorry that you can not do the same here in NYS.

We have to remember, we are all in this together. While in the end, it did no good, I did write a letter to The Homeland Security folks regarding the proposed policy for your airport in Atlanta when this was being debated. I am sure that I made it to yet another "list" for doing so. I only hope that we can stop or even regain the infringements that have been placed upon our "inalienable" Constitutional and God given rights in regards to firearms. With that in mind, we all need to be cognisant of the possible outcomes of next weeks elections.

• 4 weeks later...
What i'm not sure on however is, how, if at all, would a $200 tax stamp affect any of the NY laws? Or is that simply for 922r compliance?

It wouldn't affect anything, because you can't get any $200 tax stamp goodies in NY. The only NFA item we can have (that I know of), is a Serbu Super Shorty (which is an AOW), because it's considered a "smooth bore pistol".

So if you've got a pistol permit in NY, you can pay the $5 tax stamp, and have one added to your license.

I wish we were at least allowed SBR/SBS toys :cryss: .

Clearly, the Tapco T6 is not legal in NYS. But what if its altered to prevent any movement with screws or epoxy?

I'm pretty sure with a collapsible stock you can pin it in place.

Calling 22_shooter :). I think he was doing something like that with his AR build.

I've got a Magpul MOE (which is pretty much a twin to the CTR) one of my AR's. You can pin a telescoping stock in place, making it NY legal. But NYS law doesn't define any specific ways to do this. So everyone that I've read about that has done it, just makes damn sure it will no longer collapse.

The general consensus is drill a hole so that it goes through the stock (at least one side of it anyway) and into the "ledge" on the bottom of the buffer tube (the "ledge" as in, the part on the bottom side of the tube, that has the 5 or 6 spots where the stock locks into when you change lengths). Then put a roll pin into the hole, epoxy over it, and touch it up the spot with some paint, if you're finicky :D .

Some people have thought about using a screw instead of a roll pin, but other say it might not be as permanent, and might be frowned upon. I'm going with the drill-a-hole/throw-in-a-roll-pin/epoxy-it-over method when I get around to pinning it.

I've got a Magpul MOE (which is pretty much a twin to the CTR) one of my AR's. You can pin a telescoping stock in place, making it NY legal. But NYS law doesn't define any specific ways to do this. So everyone that I've read about that has done it, just makes damn sure it will no longer collapse.

The general consensus is drill a hole so that it goes through the stock (at least one side of it anyway) and into the "ledge" on the bottom of the buffer tube (the "ledge" as in, the part on the bottom side of the tube, that has the 5 or 6 spots where the stock locks into when you change lengths). Then put a roll pin into the hole, epoxy over it, and touch it up the spot with some paint, if you're finicky :D .

Some people have thought about using a screw instead of a roll pin, but other say it might not be as permanent, and might be frowned upon. I'm going with the drill-a-hole/throw-in-a-roll-pin/epoxy-it-over method when I get around to pinning it.

Thank you! This is just what I was looking. And I really like your way of solving this :)

Thank you! This is just what I was looking. And I really like your way of solving this :)

No problem. I'll post some pics if mine when I get around to actually pinning it (it's not installed at the moment).

No problem. I'll post some pics if mine when I get around to actually pinning it (it's not installed at the moment).

Today at the range saw a guy who did to his stock exactly as you say with screw and epoxy although it was AR15. Another guy said it is ok to have just a screw going through the tube and the movable butt. I guess its better safe than sorrow

Edited by BKLYN_C

Today at the range saw a guy who did to his stock exactly as you say with screw and epoxy although it was AR15. Another guy said it is ok to have just a screw going through the tube and the movable butt. I guess its better safe than sorrow

Yeah, like I said, NYS law doesn't define any specific ways to pin a stock. So it's up to you really. If it no longer moves, and would need to be damn near destroyed if you tried to move it, you should be good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think it matters... magazine-fed shotguns can have "conspicuous pistol grips" which is a damn f'ing shame.. I literally bought one of these TD deals, cause they're sweet, and I had the same idea- pin it in the short position permanently. as it happens, no dice- since it's already got a detach mag, the pistol would be strike 2, and that's that. o well..

I've heard people talk about the B-110 stock, however I don't think they're looking too close- those are for romaks and would need significant dremel work or maching to be fitted.

Yeah, like I said, NYS law doesn't define any specific ways to pin a stock. So it's up to you really. If it no longer moves, and would need to be damn near destroyed if you tried to move it, you should be good to go.
I dont think it matters... magazine-fed shotguns can have "conspicuous pistol grips" which is a damn f'ing shame.. I literally bought one of these TD deals, cause they're sweet, and I had the same idea- pin it in the short position permanently. as it happens, no dice- since it's already got a detach mag, the pistol would be strike 2, and that's that. o well..

I've heard people talk about the B-110 stock, however I don't think they're looking too close- those are for romaks and would need significant dremel work or maching to be fitted.

Its that or the SLR-95 style buttstock, and thats made for a milled reciever. Either way, I have a friend who is a wizz around a AK thats already done the hard work of figuring out how to do it, and is imparting the knowledge to me(as soon as i get the rest of my parts in the mail, and he gets off working 70 hrs a week...)

• 1 month later...

"A flash hider or a threaded barrel that can readily accept a flash hider or suppressor"

Well, that seems easy enough to circumvent. Stud mounts are not mentioned, so one can still legally own a suppressible weapon, and so long as you don't mount a flash hider you don't have to go to jail.

• 3 months later...
"A flash hider or a threaded barrel that can readily accept a flash hider or suppressor"

Well, that seems easy enough to circumvent. Stud mounts are not mentioned, so one can still legally own a suppressible weapon, and so long as you don't mount a flash hider you don't have to go to jail.

"Assault weapons do not include:

* Any rifle, shotgun, or pistol that: is manually operated by bolt, pump, slide or lever action; or has been rendered permanently inoperable;

* An antique firearm as defined under federal law;

* A semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than 5 rounds of ammo;

* A semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than 5 rounds of ammo in a fixed or detachable magazine"

Does that last statement mean I can put a pistol grip on my Saiga 12 if I only use a 5 round mag?

I just want an answer from someone in NY, On a Saiga 12, can you move your FCG and put on a pistol grip or are you stuck with a skelatinized stock? I have asked a few gunsmiths and seem to be getting contradictory advice. Any help would be appreciated.

"Assault weapons do not include:

* Any rifle, shotgun, or pistol that: is manually operated by bolt, pump, slide or lever action; or has been rendered permanently inoperable;

* An antique firearm as defined under federal law;

* A semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than 5 rounds of ammo;

* A semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than 5 rounds of ammo in a fixed or detachable magazine"

Does that last statement mean I can put a pistol grip on my Saiga 12 if I only use a 5 round mag?

I just want an answer from someone in NY, On a Saiga 12, can you move your FCG and put on a pistol grip or are you stuck with a skelatinized stock? I have asked a few gunsmiths and seem to be getting contradictory advice. Any help would be appreciated.

I wanted to add a thumbhole stock to my saiga 12 and the guys at the ATF office and pistol license unit said it was a no go as it was considered a pistol grip :ded:

• 4 weeks later...
I wanted to add a thumbhole stock to my saiga 12 and the guys at the ATF office and pistol license unit said it was a no go as it was considered a pistol grip :ded:

So your saying its sporting enough for importation, while pistol grips arn't, but it is a pistol grip and is therefor illigal?

So your saying its sporting enough for importation, while pistol grips arn't, but it is a pistol grip and is therefor illigal?

Yup. OK to import with it on but considered a pistol grip for AW purposes. That's been a ruling since the beginning of the 'AW' Ban.