Pitsol grip location question

Has anyone here ever drilled out the rear trigger guard rivet and installed a pistol grip in that location? Then just carved out a small section of a US made butt stock so it fits around the bolt?

Has anyone here ever drilled out the rear trigger guard rivet and installed a pistol grip in that location? Then just carved out a small section of a US made butt stock so it fits around the bolt?

They make "thumbhole" stocks that fit without modification - that's basically what you are describing. I think they look like crap. But they do function well I guess.

One of the main reasons to do a conversion is to replace and improve the fcg/trigger pull.

If you are trying to avoid the "full" conversion, you'd be better off just upgrading the stock and be happy. But the conversion is really very easy and won't take you more than 2 hours at the longest and requires no special tools.

I've done three of them now and believe me, its not hard.

Edited by O.S.O.K.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm seriously looking into converting now. I want to replace the butt-stock, add a pistol grip, and I guess replace the FCG. I was reading earlier that the Tapco G2 fcg works well, but which one? The single of double hook? I'm also considering getting the Tapco furniture. I've got the tools and have studied the modifications necessary and agree it's doesn't look complicated at all. As far as mags go, I'll just use the Surefires and avoid adding a feed ramp.

That's exactly what I did - and either Tapco G-2 fcg will work fine - just your preferrence. The buttstocks are just "drop in" as are the pistol grips.

You may be interested in this youtube vid - this guy did a series of these and they are very good IMHO.

Edited by O.S.O.K.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm seriously looking into converting now. I want to replace the butt-stock, add a pistol grip, and I guess replace the FCG. I was reading earlier that the Tapco G2 fcg works well, but which one? The single of double hook? I'm also considering getting the Tapco furniture. I've got the tools and have studied the modifications necessary and agree it's doesn't look complicated at all. As far as mags go, I'll just use the Surefires and avoid adding a feed ramp.

This is exactly the work I plan for my .223. The piece of info I am missing is how the replacement stocks (traditional, not folding or modified) compare in size to the factory. The Tapco Dark Earth stock and SAW grip are in my budget, but I can't seem to find out how the buttstock compares with the one that would be replaced. Anyone?

This is exactly the work I plan for my .223. The piece of info I am missing is how the replacement stocks (traditional, not folding or modified) compare in size to the factory. The Tapco Dark Earth stock and SAW grip are in my budget, but I can't seem to find out how the buttstock compares with the one that would be replaced. Anyone?

The "standard" AK stocks both "wasaw pact" and "nato" length are shorter than the issue stocks. This is because of the trigger placement being much further forward on standard AK's and the converted Saiga.

Just look at the pics and you'll see.

standard:

HPIM1202.JPG

converted:

HPIM1212.JPG