How are .308 Saigas on brass, and a few other questions.

I'm looking at a .308 Saiga, after selling my 7.62x39 one a while back. I've only messed with the 12 gauge and the 7.62x39, the first fleetingly and the latter extensively.

I reload .308, so I was wondering how bad the Saiga is on brass? I don't want to get stuck shooting steel cased stuff for fear of mangling my good cases.

How is recoil? Closer to the G3 or to the FAL?

How reliable are the .308's? Would you trust it to use for self defense?

I'm in the market for a shorter alternative to my full-sized FAL.

My 308 dings the caseings a little but ther is a thred in her on how to fix that with a piece of door trim from an auto parts store look up case dings.

As far as reliability goes they have the legendary ak reliability. never had problem once broke in.

My 308 dings the caseings a little but ther is a thred in her on how to fix that with a piece of door trim from an auto parts store look up case dings.

As far as reliability goes they have the legendary ak reliability. never had problem once broke in.

How is recoil? Closer to the G3 or to the FAL?

How reliable are the .308's? Would you trust it to use for self defense?

I'm in the market for a shorter alternative to my full-sized FAL.

Recoil is probably closer to that of the 7.62x39... It is one of the lightest recoiling .308 auto loaders I have ever shot...

Reliability is on par with any other AK rifle and with decent mags, It would be completely dependable for whatever you wanted to use it for. Until Surefire gets the bugs worked out of their mags, I stick with FBMG mags. I bought mine as an alternative to my FAL and I love it.

Actually I was surprised at how low the recoil was from the 308, It is comparable to the 7.62x39. Maybe just a little more and louder. I havent seen any dings on my cases, though I don't reload, but have been saving brass for the day I get around to learning to reload.

I used some automotive "goo" on the spot on the dustcover that the cases get slammed into when they eject, and also on the charging handle, which I think they also occasionally hit.

I got the idea from a thread here where someone was saying "I wonder if 'goo' would work?" Well, I decided to see for myself, and it does work. It takes a beating over the course of a few hundred rounds, and looks like it will need to be redone at some point soon. Anyway, it keeps the brass undinged 90% of the time, and the 10% that get it have a pretty mild ding.

There is also a device called a "valmet ejection buffer" that is said to work pretty well, but you'll prolly have to spend some time finding it. I have seen them for sale from places I googled, but this goo method (that doesn't sound right) has worked pretty well for now so I have had that on the back burner.