I was at the range yesterday and an aquaintance of mine had his old 1950's/60's era bolt action .22 rifle of unknown origin... with that little tiny pencil thin optic on it... shooting 1/2 inch ragged one hole groups at 25 yards... my brand new GSG5 with iron sights couldnt touch that... LOL

I shoot my assault rifles off a sandbag rest, just to see what they are capable of...

I like to shoot the .50 BMG... now THAT gets the looks when you uncase that big fucker... and the muzzleblast is like nothing else... :up:

earlier yesterday, when I was scoping the GSG5 in the clubhouse... one of our directors, a rather grumpy old fellow walks by and loudly declares " We need to ban those imports!!"

I jumped at the chance to banter, so I asked him... "What kind of communist are you that wants to ban .22's?!?!?!?"

He replies... "I didnt say the GUN... I said IMPORTS!!! We need to ban ALL imports! If it cant be made in USA we dont need it!!! "

this continued for several moments, till I got him to agree that we were both in agreement on most topics of similar vein, and that his grumpyness wasnt going to work on me... he walked away grumbling anyways...

A few minutes later, when he was outside with his fellow trap team folks, I asked him why he didnt give the trap team coach a hard time for the beer he was drinking... IMPORTED... Labatt Blue... he just scowled... and shook his head... ROFL!!!

...now HES a funny one!!!! LOL :lol:

:smoke:

I know this is off topic, but what's a fudd? I keep hearing this term but i have no idea what it could mean.

As in Elmer Fudd.

Who hunted wabbits!

I thought "Fudd" was a mis-spelling of FUD (Fear Uncertanty Doubt)? :unsure:

You know, those kooky "survivalist" MF'ers you sometimes see at gunshows stocking up on MRE's in case Al Queda ( :lol: ) suddenly develops nuclear capabilities? :rolleyes:

How many or y'all actually go to a range, and how many of y'all just have a good place to shoot for free. There's a place called the FOP (fraternal order of police) range about 20-25 minutes out of town that I've been too, but they are super strict about how you shoot and whatnot, ie no more than 1 round a second, must have BHO, etc, so I don't really like going up there. Instead, I've found a spot about 10 minutes out of downtown Birmingham where I can totally wreck shit, or patiently shoot my .308 at what I perceive to be about 150 yards. I haven't measured it yet. But the place is super safe to shoot, with berms at the aforementioned 150 yards and also at about 50 yards perpendicular to the 150 yard line, easy to get to, even in my honda civic, and best of all it's free. I'll post some pics when I get my camera back from best buy.

I know this is off topic, but what's a fudd? I keep hearing this term but i have no idea what it could mean.

As in Elmer Fudd.

Who hunted wabbits!

I thought "Fudd" was a mis-spelling of FUD (Fear Uncertanty Doubt)? :unsure:

You know, those kooky "survivalist" MF'ers you sometimes see at gunshows stocking up on MRE's in case Al Queda ( :lol: ) suddenly develops nuclear capabilities? :rolleyes:

A "Fudd" is a older person ( maybe a young person, too) who thinks their Steyr M95 or Mosin-Nagant are the end-all to be-all and can't understand why anyone would need a .50 pistol or a rifle that reloads itself.
A "Fudd" is a older person ( maybe a young person, too) who thinks their Steyr M95 or Mosin-Nagant are the end-all to be-all and can't understand why anyone would need a .50 pistol or a rifle that reloads itself.

Ah, then everyone at the range i go to is a hardcore fudd, the bastards. Thanks for explaining that. Now at least i have a technical term to use on them.

I observed a turtle crawling across the range, between the shooter's stations and the targets. There are ponds on both side of the range, and I was told it was pretty common to see these turtles just going from one to the other every now and then.

I hope nobody gets funny ideas when one crawls across.

I haven't seen anyone be a dick and actually try to shoot one, but I don't go there often. It's a public range that rents guns, and they get a lot of people from NYC and big surrounding cities in NJ and whatnot, so I'm sure someone at sometime has taken a pot-shot at one :rolleyes: .

One of the range officers made it a point to tell people not to shoot them.

I normally like to sit back and amuse myself by listening to the "expert" shooter when they talk down to or make fun the guy tacticooled up or shooting 10" groups at 100 yards or using a ginormous scope to shoot 50 yards etc etc etc....

Cause I'd bet that at least those being made fun of are having more fun than those that are ridiculing them. And they are enjoying shooting and not the whole social ladder of "experts" and coolness.

jeff

I observed a turtle crawling across the range, between the shooter's stations and the targets. There are ponds on both side of the range, and I was told it was pretty common to see these turtles just going from one to the other every now and then.

I hope nobody gets funny ideas when one crawls across.

I haven't seen anyone be a dick and actually try to shoot one, but I don't go there often. It's a public range that rents guns, and they get a lot of people from NYC and big surrounding cities in NJ and whatnot, so I'm sure someone at sometime has taken a pot-shot at one :rolleyes: .

One of the range officers made it a point to tell people not to shoot them.

That must sound unusual. "Wear your ear and eye protection, yadda yadda yadda - oh and don't shoot the turtles"

I was at an indoor range years trying out an Auto Ordinance AutoMag III.

The other positions had people shooitng all manner of revolvers and semis.

That thing put out a huge (especially for its size) ball of fire and after a couple of mags I was laughing my ass off cuz everyone else had stopped shooting and was doing the peek around to see what I was shooting.

Wasn't that loud but did have that big flame.

that was the .30 carbine pistol right?

big boom!

Cause I'd bet that at least those being made fun of are having more fun than those that are ridiculing them. And they are enjoying shooting and not the whole social ladder of "experts" and coolness.

That's kind of true, but after being laughed at for a while it gets on your nerves. I'm seriously considering going to another rage in the other half of the country simply because they make fun of me for using an "unprofessional" semi-auto. I told them countless times i don't care if i can't out-snipe their bolts, i'm there to have fun, but they just keep going on.

I got turkeys doing that all the time at my range........so hard to not pop one and call it dinner.....but i resist.....barely....

Probably one of the funnier things i have seen was a sight in clinic before deer season, the sight in expert on duty that day was showing someone how to sight in, and touched off a shot with the guys gun....think it was a Win 300 mag or something....WAY over powered for deer in WI. But the guy was holding abit too close to the scope and got a mighty fine gash to the eyebrow from it.....bleeding like hell all over......to his credit, he pretty much shook it off and kept going all day.

I get a kick out the guys pulling out those huge .460 & .500, etc. revolvers with 6-7" barrels. They are so heavy they have to fire quickly or they start shaking from the effort of holding them. They flinch every time they shoot them. I've asked them what they use them for and most say just for fun, some say for hunting.

I've rented a .500S&W once. It didn't kick as bad as I thought it would but a day at the range with that monster is not something I would do on a regular basis, not to mention the cost!

Hunting? Why not just use a rifle?

in WI we have two hunting areas, shotgun and rifle.....high population density areas are shotgun only, northwoods you can use rifle. Shotgun area is also open to pistols for deer as well. I have taken a nice little buck with my GP100, but had i had something like a 30-30, or 45-70 chambered contender, man i could have had a few nice bucks that were just too far out for my shotgun or GP100.

Turtle, I had a freakin turkey cross the range and hang out while I shot at the 150yd literly over its head. It would not run from the shots untill i shot some dust up about a foot in front of it. Another time someone was shooting skeet with a OU and dropped a bird when he shot his clay.

The range I go to has deer run across the 100 and 300 yard range all the time.. It got so prevelant that they started telling people not to shoot them during their orientation.

yup....my club by-laws specifically state no shooting live animals on the property....

I forgot about the guy who drank beer while he was using the range.

The club officers told this guy he couldn't consume alcohol anymore while using the range.

Quote - "Their isn't any sign that says I am not supposed to drink beer while I shoot!! DAMMIT!!"

He didn't even make it a week and they caught him beering it up on the rifle range.

They gave him a 3 month vacation from the club.

After 3 months, he didn't last 1 week again and they booted him from the club forever.

Edited by BlackDog
I shoot my assault rifles off a sandbag rest, just to see what they are capable of...

Lemme clarify, watching guys run assault rifles habitually like they're in a bench rest shooting competition. "Hey there sniper, you gonna bring that 50-pound gun vise out to the field too?"

I too rest mine now and again to see what they are capable of, but really only if it's a new gun or new ammo. Most ranges here will only let you shoot sitting anyway.

but they are super strict about how you shoot and whatnot, ie no more than 1 round a second, must have BHO, etc, so I don't really like going up there.

Sounds like every range around here. Again, they won't even let you stand/kneel/prone shoot. Rifles are the least enjoyable to shoot because of this.

Well, we can stand up or sit down, we just can't go out acting ridiculous, which I understand. Honestly, I had my doubts about my yugo AK, as far as accuracy is concerned, until I went to an actual range and saw how it shot at an actual measured distance. Not to say that I want to go hang out up there, but it was definitely good to put a numeric value to what I was shooting.

I get a kick out the guys pulling out those huge .460 & .500, etc. revolvers with 6-7" barrels. They are so heavy they have to fire quickly or they start shaking from the effort of holding them. They flinch every time they shoot them. I've asked them what they use them for and most say just for fun, some say for hunting.

I've rented a .500S&W once. It didn't kick as bad as I thought it would but a day at the range with that monster is not something I would do on a regular basis, not to mention the cost!

Hunting? Why not just use a rifle?

Because some people like to hunt w/ handguns. Just like some people like to hunt w/ bows. It's the hunt, not the kill for a lot of people. Maybe they want to try something more sporting than a deer rifle, or are just seeing how many calibers/guns they can take a deer with.

And you can shoot big handguns w/o shaking a lot. I've got a 308 pistol I shoot offhand sometimes. I've got a couple of 14" Contenders (7mm TCU & 35 Remington) I shoot quite a bit on occasion. I've got a long barreled Super Blackhawk in 44 magnum. It just takes practice.

Don't get your knickers up, shoot what you want, hunt with what you want. I used to have a SB in .44mag. too. This post is about funny range observations and I think it's dame funny when I see goobers with giant hand cannons that can't shoot them. :killer:

How about a "Range Dance"???? That happened this past week when a hot, expended shell case from my Saiga went down the collar of the shirt of the guy next to me....................

Absolutely funny as hell.... those damn things are hot!! :P

:D

How about a "Range Dance"???? That happened this past week when a hot, expended shell case from my Saiga went down the collar of the shirt of the guy next to me....................

I have had this happen to me during a two day CQB class, the pisser is, it was my own brass from SBR. We were doing a some drills that required canting you gun, the brass shot straight up in the air, bounced off my finger and went right down my shirt. I didn't do the "hot brass" dance as I was on a hot range, but I cussed up a storm.

Best range dance I've ever been witness to was unfortunately my own. My friend and I were on lanes next to each other. I was concentrating on my shot, so I really wasn't paying to much attention to other things. I heard his rifle fire somewhere in the back of my mind. I sort of knew a case bounced off my hat... and part of my brain told me that something had touched my arm. I just wasn't paying attention. At least I wasn't until a few seconds later when the burning stampeded itself right to the forefront of my concious mind. What do you know, right there on the bare skin of my arm was my friends case, standing right on end like it had been set on a counter. Holy shit that little thing hurt. So I did what any right minded person would do. I flicked it with my other hand. The darned pesky booger didn't go anywhere. YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUCH! Holy crap owww! I've got a shell case that has attached itself to my skin. Okay, calm head. Just grab the sucker with my right hand and yank it off my arm. In 3.. 2.. 1 GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! Oh my gawd, I can read the head stamp on my arm!

And that folks, is why I now wear long sleeved shirts to the range in the middle of a Texas summer.

Don't get your knickers up, shoot what you want, hunt with what you want. I used to have a SB in .44mag. too. This post is about funny range observations and I think it's dame funny when I see goobers with giant hand cannons that can't shoot them. :killer:

It's going to take more than that to get me riled up. :haha: I laugh at some of them too. One of the funniest was the guy w/ a 10" Contender chambered in 45-70. I made the mistake of letting him shoot it over my chrony. He damn near shot it. he had the worst flinch I've ever seen in my life. :cryss:

I forgot about the guy who drank beer while he was using the range.

The club officers told this guy he couldn't consume alcohol anymore while using the range.

Quote - "Their isn't any sign that says I am not supposed to drink beer while I shoot!! DAMMIT!!"

He didn't even make it a week and they caught him beering it up on the rifle range.

They gave him a 3 month vacation from the club.

After 3 months, he didn't last 1 week again and they booted him from the club forever.

The range I go to is on goverment property and is unmanaged. Its not uncommon to go up there and find some good old boys with a cooler of bud shooting beer cans 10 feet in front of the stand with their ARs and listening to the ricochets scream over the berm out where there are people riding horses, squirrel hunting, bird watching... well you get the idea.

The range is 100 yds with a fairly good sized berm. One day a guy that was pretty well tanked up was telling me how him and his buddies decided that 100 yds wasnt enough of a challenge when they bought their new M1 Garrands, so they moved over and were shooting past the berm at targets that put at the tree line 400 yds behind the berm. Again, into the woods where people are riding horses, ............

Them people give all shooters a bad name

I leave and come back later when people like that are around.

Edited by waltham_41

I never wear collared shirts out shooting, so I've never done the "Range Dance" :D . But I have laid my arm/elbow down on hot brass before :ded: .

Pretty much every time I go to the range, I either approach people with nice guns or they approach me about mine. We usually end up trying each other's guns. There are some nice ones out there. However, 20lb target versions of the AR-15 are not cool, fun, or even interesting. They feel like toys, but when a guy offers to let you shoot his gun, you gotta pull the trigger a couple times to be nice. Just try to ignore how back heavy it is, and that really loud BWAAANNNNGG noise of the recoil spring rattling around inside his Pride and Joy Bushmaster. It's ok, he made fun of my AK and I kept my mouth shut about his baby.

Fudds usually only get within 20 feet and grumble and shake their head. It's just a minor annoyance, the real annoyance is knowing how they'll vote.

That reminds me of the FIRST DAY I had my PSL to the range... I was letting this guy shoot it, and I was standing behind him... there was a guy about 20 feet away to the right, out from underneath the shooting shelter... watching... The rifle went off... the empty ejected... and caught that same guy right in the corner of his right eye... the open section of the casing tore a neat little crescent shaped hole in the skin between his nose and his eye... blood everywhere... I felt like a schmoe... because it was my rifle... but then again... it wasnt MY FAULT... he should have been wearing eye protection, and its just one of them crazy shit luck things... so... what can ya do?!?!? :lol:

:smoke:

Yeah, an idiot I once new pulled up to far with his truck while i was shooting my Mini-14. I heard DING! and looked and the casing had nailed his truck. He conceded it was his fault though. I can't stand the "city boys" that probably sit around on their front porch drinking Colt .45 and stroking themselves to "Boyz in the Hood"! They come in and shoot like some real idiots! I leave when that happens! :evil: