'nother newbie

Hello,

Just bought a new Saiga .223 and it's my first AK/variant of any kind.

There's a daunting amount of info here, and what seems to be a really great group of folks.

My (first) questions:

Do all Hi-cap magazines require the addition of a feed ramp?

Does the addition of the feed ramp limit the use of any other mags?

I'm no gunsmith, but I'm pretty handy so the basic conversion looks like a fun project.

I just don't want to create a problem in the attempt to solve another one.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum. There are a bunch of very sharp members here and I'm sure they will chime in ,especially if I give you any bad info.

I did a conversion and I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express. I did not feel the need to go to hi-caps though but I'm ready if I change my mind.

I believe that SureFire makes hi cap mags that do not require a feed ramp. I'll let folks who own them comment on their reliability.

It is my understanding that if you install a feed ramp that the stock Saiga mags will no longer work.

Thanks for the advice, and thanks for the welcome.

I'll be careful to stay 922 compliant.

I've gotta say, althought this is my least expensive gun it definately looks like it's going to be the most fun.

Nothing else I have lends itself to customization nearly so well.

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome to the Forum. There are a bunch of very sharp members here and I'm sure they will chime in ,especially if I give you any bad info.

I did a conversion and I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express. I did not feel the need to go to hi-caps though but I'm ready if I change my mind.

I believe that SureFire makes hi cap mags that do not require a feed ramp. I'll let folks who own them comment on their reliability.

It is my understanding that if you install a feed ramp that the stock Saiga mags will no longer work.

Is that correct? If you install the feed ramp, the factory Saiga Mags no longer work?

Thanks,

Frosty

Is that correct? If you install the feed ramp, the factory Saiga Mags no longer work?

Thanks,

Frosty

Fluid

The Saiga factory mags have a feed ramp built into them. You have to do some filing on that area so the mag will fit your new feed ramp and it will work fine. Go to Dinzagarms.com for your feed ramp. His stuff is the best.

AK-MAN