While I have only been to Belgium a very few times and am, admittedly, lacking in gun law knowledge of the Belgiques, I lived for many years in Das Bundesrepublik Deutschland and was always impressed by their gun laws. Go to the proper admin office of the Polizei, fill out the forms and -- voila! -- you then have your waffenerwerbschein -- your purchase permit. Very similar to the pistol permit we get here in NC. You can then go to the gun shop and buy your handgun. Forgot -- you also get your waffenschein which is your permit to actually possess the gun.

To buy ammo, although it requires another permit (the munitionerwerbschein or ammunition acquisition permit), it's no big deal.

All in all, probably easier than in NY City, Chicago or SanFrancisco.

well, i do believe it became a little harder lately, but not by incredibly much.

Adding to the beauty of it are the 'sport' hotels scattered across the country where you can stay and also use their on-site pistol/rifle ranges and then enjoy a meal... with your firearms and ammo at the table!

well, displaying your weapons while eating or even just drinking is "not done" here. the law doesn't allow it.

also, have you ever been to the large ranges in Switzerland? now THAT is class. german ranges look meager compared to those. they're totally awesome. not only do they have a lot of long ranges (up to a mile or so), but they also have indoor (read UNDERGROUND carved into the mountain) ranges with 300m ranges, with -obviously- no wind at all. and coupled to that a nice bar and a restaurant. it's great, i wish we had stuff like that.

as a sidenote: how is your health holding up? i hope you're doing ok.

SuA --

Those ranges in Switzerland sound fabulous! You are absolutely correct when you say that the German sport hotels with their ranges are, indeed meager and that's even without being compared to the Swiss ranges you describe. I used only the pistol ranges and they were limited to 25 meters. As where you are, displaying your weapon while eating or even just drinking is not permitted. You used to be able to have them at you table provided they were properly enclosed in a gun case.

Health-wise? It's a long haul but progress is being made. I thank you for asking.

BTW, I recall going to Antwerpen (Antwerp) and getting a delicious brew called Martin's Pale Ale. Brewed in England, shipped in large kegs to the Rotterdam where it was bottled. Used to be able to get it near the train station. They color of deep, rich mahongany, it had a head of foam that seemingly would never go away. Delicious! Drink one? Do so slowly. It is a very heavy brew. One will not intoxicate but will stay with youfor quite awhile.

While I have only been to Belgium a very few times and am, admittedly, lacking in gun law knowledge of the Belgiques, I lived for many years in Das Bundesrepublik Deutschland and was always impressed by their gun laws. Go to the proper admin office of the Polizei, fill out the forms and -- voila! -- you then have your waffenerwerbschein -- your purchase permit. Very similar to the pistol permit we get here in NC. You can then go to the gun shop and buy your handgun. Forgot -- you also get your waffenschein which is your permit to actually possess the gun.

To buy ammo, although it requires another permit (the munitionerwerbschein or ammunition acquisition permit), it's no big deal.

well, i do believe it became a little harder lately, but not by incredibly much.

Adding to the beauty of it are the 'sport' hotels scattered across the country where you can stay and also use their on-site pistol/rifle ranges and then enjoy a meal... with your firearms and ammo at the table!

well, displaying your weapons while eating or even just drinking is "not done" here. the law doesn't allow it.

also, have you ever been to the large ranges in Switzerland? now THAT is class. german ranges look meager compared to those. they're totally awesome. not only do they have a lot of long ranges (up to a mile or so), but they also have indoor (read UNDERGROUND carved into the mountain) ranges with 300m ranges, with -obviously- no wind at all. and coupled to that a nice bar and a restaurant. it's great, i wish we had stuff like that.

SuA --

Those ranges in Switzerland sound fabulous! You are absolutely correct when you say that the German sport hotels with their ranges are, indeed meager and that's even without being compared to the Swiss ranges you describe. I used only the pistol ranges and they were limited to 25 meters. As where you are, displaying your weapon while eating or even just drinking is not permitted. You used to be able to have them at you table provided they were properly enclosed in a gun case.

Health-wise? It's a long haul but progress is being made. I thank you for asking.

BTW, I recall going to Antwerpen (Antwerp) and getting a delicious brew called Martin's Pale Ale. Brewed in England, shipped in large kegs to the Rotterdam where it was bottled. Used to be able to get it near the train station. They color of deep, rich mahongany, it had a head of foam that seemingly would never go away. Delicious! Drink one? Do so slowly. It is a very heavy brew. One will not intoxicate but will stay with youfor quite awhile.

SuA --

Health-wise? It's a long, sometimes hard haul but progress is being made. I thank you for asking.

BTW, I recall going to Antwerpen (Antwerp) and getting a delicious brew called Martin's Pale Ale. Brewed in England, shipped in large kegs to the Rotterdam where it was bottled. Used to be able to get it near the train station. The color of deep, rich mahongany, it had a head of foam that seemingly would never go away. Delicious! Drink one? Do so slowly. It is a very heavy brew. One will not intoxicate but will stay with you for quite awhile.

Edited by Aethelbert
Minor point of clarification here -

It was stated earlier that Islam is 5000 years old. That's false. Islam was founded by the Prophet Muhammed in 661 AD, and is the newest of the world's major religions.

Mike

weren't we talking about Judaism? anyhow, too lazy to look it up if we did or not, but your own statement is false.

since Islam recognises people like Jesus and Moses as their Prophets, that would put them earlier. sure, back then they weren't known as Islamists yet, but you could easily say that Islam was sprouted way before 661AD.

SuA --

drinking is permited AFTER shooting, not before. though i've never seen anyone argue about drinking a Tripel before shooting.

we did deny access to the range to someone who was drunk once though, but he hadn't gotten drunk at our bar, he just arrived that way.

Health-wise? It's a long, sometimes hard haul but progress is being made. I thank you for asking.

I'm very glad to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel :)

BTW, I recall going to Antwerpen (Antwerp) and getting a delicious brew called Martin's Pale Ale. Brewed in England, shipped in large kegs to the Rotterdam where it was bottled. Used to be able to get it near the train station. The color of deep, rich mahongany, it had a head of foam that seemingly would never go away. Delicious! Drink one? Do so slowly. It is a very heavy brew. One will not intoxicate but will stay with you for quite awhile.

I work in Antwerp. a shitty city if you ask me, i'm more of a Ghent kinda man. :)

i'll try to hunt your drink down, though importing beers into belgium is kinda like bringing buckets of water to the sea. :P

i think you might be refering to Kelly's pub, an irish sports bar near the station.

as for how strong it is, my usual poisons are Duvel (Golden Ale, 8.5%), Tripel Karmeliet (Abbey beer, Tripel, 8%) and Chimay Blue (Trappist, 9%). so i think i'll manage. :)