That was a reload I made. I must have screwed something up because 2 other the pieces of brass I just checked had some really, really flattened primers?

I usually reload a few grains of powder under the max recommended by IMR, but I also use all the crappy brass for my Saiga reloads.

I know my headspace is big, fired brass usually falls into the chamber that in comparison only drops about halfway into my mini?

I recently bought a new .223 die set because of the questionable resizing, this may have been from the old die. Hmm

Edited by BlackDog

When reloading, start with data at the bottom of the chart and work up to the most accurate load, checking for pressure signs as you go. I load 5 each in 0.1 gr increments when working up a load for .223 Remington. ANY signs of pressure, STOP and use most accurate of the lower-charged loads. Also, seat your bullets as long as your gun will allow, but stay OFF the rifling, as this will cause pressure to SPIKE. You want to size your brass the minimum amount necessary. Over-sizing your brass pushes the shoulder back too far and will create the same condition as excessive headspace. Since you know your headspace is "big", have it checked to see if it will close on a "NO-GO" gauge. If it does, it's time for a new barrel.

If you're going for an uber-hot load, FORGET IT. Buy a bigger caliber.

Stay within published loading data, and cross check the data before you use it.

Be safe.

I must have screwed something up with the reloading. :cryss:

I got to the range a few hours ago and shot 5 each of Brown Bear, Malaysian M193 and Winchester white box.

No signs of flattened or backed out primers.

I am usually very diligent and check the powder charge 4-5 times initially and then every 20 loads after.

I'm wondering if I looked at 1 powder load and used a different powder?!?

I probably don't even have 1000 rounds thru my Saiga yet, so the barrel shouldn't be spent yet.

• 1 month later...

I have to edit this post.

When I was pressing the bullets into the brass, something was occasionaly catching in the adjusting knob

of the die and that was causing the casing to crush and deform a little. I only reloaded 15 cases and I just can't believe that I didn't notice I had crushed them and then put them in the magazines without noticing.

As I pressed some more new ones yesterday, occasionally the same crush happened again a few times.

I just turned the knob all the way in and now everything is fine. I just made 200 reloads and all have been perfect.

I came to the conclusion that this brass just sucks!

I think it is Guat surplus brass, but I'll have to check.

I made some more reloads with this same brass for my mini 14 and

the brass was deforming behind the shoulder when the mini was trying

to cycle it after firing a round. 4 out of 15 rounds deformed and would

not even come close to chambering. I would have taken a pic of the

deformed rounds but I was pretty mad and threw them into the woods.

Edited by BlackDog