New guy with a quetion

The extra lug on my bolt puts a pretty good sized dent in the shoulder of every round that comes up on the right side of the mag. I'm wondering if this is normal. I've seen allot of posts on here about brass getting dinged when it's ejected, mine does that too, but I'm concerned about the denting the live round before it goes in the chamber.

The denting happens when the spent casings are ejected. So far as I can tell, they hit the rear corner of the dust cover , and occasionally the charging handle.

I used "goo" in those two spots and it 90% solved the problem. Occasional small dings.

Others use automotive slip on molding, or a valmet ejection buffer for the same purpose.

I get the dings on the empties from ejection from the top cover and a dent in the case head from the ejector. this isn't really a problem. What I'm talking about is when I fire a round the bolt puts a dent in the shoulder of the top round in the magazine as it goes back. I only see it if I eject the live round without firing it.

Hmmm... It looks like the bottom of the bolt or bolt carrier (probably the bolt) is hitting the case as it slides over the round. (probably on the return to battery stroke - ie: closing).

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a detenation hazard - But you may get some highly undesirable hot gas blown back at you, especially if it actually tears open the case, chambers the round and then fires the round with a torn case.

You might try making up some dummy rounds or use some snap caps & load 'em up in you mag. Take off the top cover and hand cycle them through the action and see if you can see where it's hitting and if it's on the opening stroke or return-to-battery stroke. It may be a simple fix like polishing the bottom of the bolt or carrier. Otherwise, I'd call RAA and see if it's something they'll fix...

Macbeau sends...

If nobody else has this problem I'm not surprised. I have a real talent for picking lemons. It shoots fine, less than 2" at 100 yds. I can ring a 6" gong at 250 every time. Several hundred round and I've only had one malfunction, empty case hit the top cover and bounced back inside backwards. I think for the sake of science I'm going to have to get a 22" and see if it does the same thing

If nobody else has this problem I'm not surprised. I have a real talent for picking lemons. It shoots fine, less than 2" at 100 yds. I can ring a 6" gong at 250 every time. Several hundred round and I've only had one malfunction, empty case hit the top cover and bounced back inside backwards. I think for the sake of science I'm going to have to get a 22" and see if it does the same thing

Nope, mine does it too. It occurs as the bolt travels rearward and is caused by the locking lug just as you say. It only happens for me with M14 mags that I modified though on account of the really heavy spring tension that those mags have, even then its only the first few rounds through the mag. I don't think its a huge deal, but I'm sure its not good for the life expectancy of the brass. They will fireform when they are fired and they will work harden, only a problem if you are a reloader though.

What kind of mags are you using?

I've got three factory 8 rounders and they all do it. Theres a killer spring in those little things, found that out the first time I took the floorplate off and the spring guide hit me in the mouth. I wasn't expecting a spring that long in such a short little mag.

Mine does it too. ther was a batch of saiga 308's that missed a step in the machieneing of the bolt another related thred was called failure to eject. some guys sent there guns back and got them fixed for free. and an extra mag.

Thanks. I did search on here first but I didn't look under failure to eject. Mine cycles fine just dents the rounds. I would like to see a picture of a bolt from a gun that doesn't do it. It should be a fairly easy fix if I know what it should look like.