Good fortune at the Fort Worth gun show.

I went to the Fort Worth gun and knife show today for no specific purpose except to browse and enjoy myself. Saigas are becoming a rare commodity these days at the shows and at this one they commanded from 335.00 to 375.00 when you found one (plus tax). I am just about to leave when I walk past three young men one of which is carrying a 20" X39 Saiga. I naturally inquired "Is your rifle for sale?". "Yes" he replied, "I'm asking 250.00 for it. As I examined it he added "I've never fired it, it's new". He was not lying, it is absolutely brand new with a Russian made side rail scope mount hanging on it (Weaver type). I offered (just for grins) 225.00 and he replied "Done". I went to the ATM there in the lobby and pulled the funds and about that time it struck me........ YOUR RIDING A MOTORCYCLE AND SPRINGTOWN (Where I live) IS 35 MILES UP THE ROAD. That did'nt stop me, I paid the man and got creative. Home and dry and contemplating a mod.

Good buy nice price. +1 on getting creative with the motorcycle. I have had to backpack a rifle in pieces before.

That's where a folding stock comes in handy. I guess they have a purpouse after all :P

Good buy nice price. +1 on getting creative with the motorcycle. I have had to backpack a rifle in pieces before.

That's where a folding stock comes in handy. I guess they have a purpouse after all :P

Yeah a folding stock would have been nice at the time but it was a lever action 30/30 I just took the stock off with about 6-7 inches of barrel sticking out through the zipper.

WOW, I bought mine at the Ft. Worth gunshow from a local shop and they were asking $300+tax. I paid $324 and that was four months or more ago!! I know I was had but I have been thinking about going to another one soon to see what I can find another x39 for. Who knows, I may even go .308 but I doubt it as I couldnt afford the ammo.

I don't think that it's hot. I think that it was more a case of disinterest in the Saiga and a fever for something else at the show (I need liquid cash NOW!). Anyway as far as the bike trip home, I bought a 3.00 gun sock and tied it up inside, unbuckled the top roll bag from my Nelson-Rigg mini touring pack mounted on my luggage rack and wedged the rifle sideways in between the roll bag and the pack. I sinched everything down and flew.

Hello, captzeno

I'm not aware of a situation where a registered firearm does not require a FFL transfer. If it were a relatively old gun that may have been purchased prior to registration requirements, you might be OK, but a Saiga is more than likely registered to somebody.

I would be concerned not only that you may have purchased a stolen gun, but that the legitimate owner (read: "registered owner") may claim it was stolen in a supposed burglary or whatever and you may be holding the gun.

I would definately attempt to track-down the registration history on it.....Just to avoid the unpleasant questions you may be asked while sporting handcuffs.....

JMHO....

guido2 in Houston

I'm referring to this statement:

I'm not aware of a situation where a registered firearm does not require a FFL transfer. If it were a relatively old gun that may have been purchased prior to registration requirements, you might be OK, but a Saiga is more than likely registered to somebody.
Edited by BobAsh

I'm a little perplexed too. FTF sales are common, and legal, in Texas. There is no gun registration scheme.

Hello

Well, maybe I didn't phrase it very well, and maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, either....

But, it seems to me, that any gun purchased new fairly recently is going to be registered to the buyer. My concern is not wanting to register the gun to me, (or the "new" purchaser) but rather "un-registering" it from the original owner. Much like a vehicle registration, only the DMV or whoever can effect that change (FFL here).

It seems that as long as the original registered buyer is listed as the owner, it could concevably be a problem if the gun were used in a manner that would have it's registration traced, or reported stolen, or etc.....

Does that make any sense?

guido2 in Houston

I'm a little perplexed too. FTF sales are common, and legal, in Texas. There is no gun registration scheme.

But, it seems to me, that any gun purchased new fairly recently is going to be registered to the buyer.

There is no gun registration in Texas. There is no paperwork required at all for a ftf private sale. However, I do recomend creating a reciept of sale just in case.

And I curse at thee Captzeno. I saw a .410 and a convert x39 at that show and both were stupidly overpriced. Curses upon thee!

j/k Great find.

...it seems to me, that any gun purchased new fairly recently is going to be registered to the buyer.

Not in Texas. The original seller (dealer) will have a bill of sale, but that's it. They don't actually "report" it to any organization (except of course the NICS check).

Texas requires no record for FTF transactions(Nor does teh Fed). The fed requires that transactions take place at address on record, or leased property on record. (IE, table at gun show.)if you have a FFL. ( I know this, my brother lost his FFL selling off site back in teh 80's. The "customer" was BATF.)

I personally ask for a copy of the CHL or DL of anyone I purchase a weapon from, or sell a weapon to, for my personal records.........Just my way of CMA, since they did come and talk to me when it happened.

Congrats on the good deal.

This thread made me laugh as a misplaced Texan i must be older than some of you other Texas guys cause i don't think i've ever been asked for my DL or

anything when doing a private sale.

The other thing that gives away you guys age is thinking a guns stolen because he got a good deal...... Before the interweb came along geting new prices for a used gun was basically imposible.