Good fortune at the Fort Worth gun show.

I hate it when people I know ask me "is it registered" and do not know what that means. Some states are open gun trading states, some countries are not. It is a good idea to get a receipt for a privet sale even if it is on a piece of T.P. Any FFL holder has to do a white form-back ground check. Not the same as registered like in NYC and other cities. I have only had one problem with privet sale in both directions, some people prefer it for "the day the GOV takes my GUNS" and just don't want any paper trail to them, not like a felon just a preference. But the problem I was speaking of was I sold a mossy pump to the manager were my girl friend works 2 months later he had a friend of his in town to stay with at his house. The friend lost the key and was given ODD instructions on how to get in. the neighbours called the police because it looked like a hippy guy B&E. The police came and so did the home owner. When the questioning the dumb ass and manager inside the police saw the mossy in the corner. He explained it was his and even told them I sold it to him and tried to give them my phone number. The police said because he had no receipt they took the gun? I didn't know that was possible but after talking to the local gun shop they told me it is a the officers discretion. that a registration exists in that city but it is voluntary and public record. ten dollars per gun... I have been stopped many times and have never had a receipt with me. I know the police always run the S# it see if it is stolen but to take because it is a FTF sale is bull. I felt bad for not writing a receipt but I had never heard of such a thing. If the officer did not even want the phone number of the guy who sold it to him even if he had a receipt they would most likely say it was not an "official" one. :rolleyes:

Everyone just breath deeply and relax. Face to face deals have been just that and no FFL transfer required in my 47+ years here in Texas. If so I am guilty of 100's of trespasses since age 18. The gun is not hot, I just got a good USED price on it seeing as it is second hand with no box or anything else though unfired. I sleep well.

Before the interweb came along geting new prices for a used gun was basically imposible.

I see I'm not the only one who has noticed that change.

Also, FWIW.. The right to not have to register or formally transfer a firearm in an private FTF deal is what keeps the gun shows in the cross hairs (so to speak) of the anti gun crowd. It's pretty absurd that it's even an issue for the anti gunners. If you were to instead call it a peaceably assembled gathering of private citizens exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights, then there's really no leg for the anti gunners to stand on...

The same crowd would never let you challenge one of their causes using such rediculous logic (even though their cause is likely are not guaranteed in the bill of rights - I don't see anything about global warming, gay marriage, national healthcare, saving puppies, etc when I read it)

I left a reply to this post last night but for some reason it did'nt take. I stated that in my 47 years here in Texas a gun deal between non FFL individuals has always been just that. No transfer required other than money to one person and the gun to another. I got a very good used price on a like new second hand firearm, not a stolen one. Our local shows are not known for harboring stolen goods as there is an upfront law inforcement presence before entering. You will hand any firearms over to a Fort Worth police officer for inspection and clearing of live ammo before entering the show. Not that there are not some idiots out there that might try it but you would have to be pretty stupid to lay a known stolen firearm into the hands of a Fort Worth LEO. I sleep well.