I have lost all feeling in my right thumb. (I'm a lefty, Thank God!)

It's a result of repeated movement from my screen printing over the past 10 years.

They want me to not use it..... If I stop, I make no money... the business dies.

I can live with a numb thumb, but it would be cool if it got better.

So if ya got a bit after you pray for the important stuff, can ya ask for some healing on this one as well....

Thanks guys.

You likely have carpal tunnel syndrome, common in situations of repetitive motion occupations. Antiinflammatories and physical therapy would be appropriate interventions initially, IMO. In addition to prayer, of course. :rolleyes:

Doc

Been sending good vibes since you told me about it before bro...Sorry to hear it's gotten worse. I hope you can do what it takes to get it back on the right track. Isn't there some way you can change your regular technique for what's causing the abuse to your thumb? Maybe stop sucking it at night? :haha: J/K! sorry man I know this is serious...just trying to lighten your mood some. Seriously though is there any kind of equipment upgrade or something that can save you from doing more of the same?

You have my prayers but I urge you to try and come up with some method that does not exacerbate this repetitive motion injury! Your opposable thumbs are obviously super important to keeping lower life forms in their place and you are effectively making yourself a cripple.

Best Wishes!

My knowledge of which Patron Saint covers which professions has pretty much eroded over time. If there is a Patron Saint for great guys and awesome screen printers, I'm asking him to lay down some prayers for you. Just in case there is no such saint, I'll say a few prayers, without the middle man (saint), for you.

I generally tell my kids that amputation is the best medical solution for most of their ailments (primarily to shut them up with their constant complaining) , but I don't expect you to pull a Ronnie Lott!

I do hope the thumb improves.

Will

I'm with you Drew... get better!!!

and as Doc says... I vote Carpal tunnel too... I had it *BAD*... so bad I was begging for the surgery date to get closer cause i couldnt take the numbness anymore...

It was a VERY SIMPLE surgery, recovery wasnt bad... and there is virtually no scar on my wrists from the incision... 2 stitches...

I went from a 30 pound grip strength in each hand to a 155 pound grip strength in each hand afterwards!!! (and after healing and PT of course... )

Good luck and God bless!

:smoke:

Hello, Juggs..

Be glad to send a couple surplus crimigrants your way to handle the Manuel labor while you recover.

Just don't let them around children, alcohol, car keys or realtors.

Seriously, very sorry to hear about that....Do you have any Comp. coverage for yourself? I think it's viewed almost exclusivly as a "workplace-related injury" anymore.

Positive thoughts and serious prayers your way.....

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

A quick search on google can turn up just about anything.

Alright Drew, my Mom was a big believer in Patron Saints, so I note that to assist you in this time of need, there is Saint Augustino of Hippo, the Patron Saint of Printers. Then, for added good measure, there is Saint John Chrysostom, Patron Saint of Preachers.

So, I will direct a few prayers your way through these Patron Saints. That will probably be of more value than a transplanted beaver thumb. Do beavers even have thumbs?

WJ

WOW! Thanks for havin' my back.....er.. well, my thumb in this case.

As far as comp..... I don't even draw a regular check yet... just a draw of the to when moneys there.

Sometimes, it better than a check.. others, not so good.. but no...no comp.

W.J. We just learned about Augustine of Hippo in my early church class.!!!

WOW! Thanks for havin' my back.....er.. well, my thumb in this case.

As far as comp..... I don't even draw a regular check yet... just a draw of the to when moneys there.

Sometimes, it better than a check.. others, not so good.. but no...no comp.

W.J. We just learned about Augustine of Hippo in my early church class.!!!

Ya gotta move up to an automatic press! I did, back in my screen printing days (20+ years). It saved my wrists and forearms - I kept getting tendonitis, resulting in lots of tearing of tendons in both arms). Unfortunately, the constant bend, twist, bend, twist then wrecked my back. I finally had to leave the industry, because the motion of loading and unloading 2000 times a day had left me unable to function without excrutiating pain.

Funny thing is, now I'm in a warehouse, where I move MUCH heavier stuff, and they worry about my back. I tell 'em, it's not the load, it's the motion...

Good luck, get well, and TRY to take it easy with the squeegee for a bit. Better to lay up for a little bit than to not be able to print at all.

Mike

Automated is a bit out of the price range right now.....

I want to get a tuf Javelin 8C 8S..... Untill then, it's my Vastex HD88!

I do have this old school "John Henery" mentality when it comes to printing.......

I'm gonna take on 7.62 with my manual.. and win! or die tryin'! :super:

Always good to swap horror stories with other printers..... there are quite a few of us around....

Automated is a bit out of the price range right now.....

I want to get a tuf Javelin 8C 8S..... Untill then, it's my Vastex HD88!

I do have this old school "John Henery" mentality when it comes to printing.......

I'm gonna take on 7.62 with my manual.. and win! or die tryin'! :super:

Always good to swap horror stories with other printers..... there are quite a few of us around....

If you ever decide to go auto, look at the M&R Challenger. If set up and maintained properly, they're a helluva press. We did a lot of four-color process work on one, and it was amazing. Once set up and locked in, it will hold registration for days!

Downside is it's all pneumatic, so you need a BIG air compressor. Ours was big - vee-twin, 150 gallon tank, and when you were running full-bore on an 8-color print, there were times you'd have to slow down so the compressor could catch up!

If I were in your area, I'd stop by and pull a squeegee for ya part time while you healed up. Hopefully you've got some good folks in your area that can help out.

Mike

You have my best wishes Juggernaut, I know all too well what its like for your body to fail you and to be unable to work.

Been there, as the MAN we throw our bodies into making a living. I "loose" 3 fingers on my right hand, they tingle and then become useless. I have found that the weight lifters leather gloves that leave the fingers open and have velcro wrap around wrist bands help a LOT! Ususlly a week or so wearing them gets things back in order.

Juggs,

Hang in there man. But you've got to figure something out because in the long run not only will you not be able to use your right hand, you'll have the accompanying medical expense just to be able to live with it. So if you can't rest it, try bracing it but make sure that blood's circulating ok?

And if an automated press is out of your range what about a monkey? They have opposable thumbs and will work for bananas.

And if an automated press is out of your range what about a monkey? They have opposable thumbs and will work for bananas.

Nahhhhh... You don't want any part of that grief. You'd spend your whole day dodging the poo they'd be flinging!

Hey, if you can't be better right now, at least we'll help you laugh. :)

Mike

both hands of mine started going numb a few years ago.

I know what it it's like, it is not fun.

At the time the docs told me the same thing, quit doing what you are doing.

Of course this would mean not doing my job, or maybe doing another job,.

a friend who knew about it showed me some hand exercises and ..... well,... massage therapy.

it took a while, but it did work! here I am 10 years later with no operations and no numbness.

I also did switch several jobs during the course to.

I also heard of a new minimal invasive surgery they do in Texas that works wonders and doesn't cost that much if it is carpal tunnel.

I also believe in the big guy upstairs and pray to him through his son Jesus C in his name (with anything possible) and I prayed for your thumb and you as well.

Man, I love you guys... y'all prayin' for my thumb... you guys rock~!

Don't forget to pray for the real important stuff either... like our nation, troops, families ect......