Re-install of bolt hold open?

I have been researching and learnign about the conversion process but have not heard much about the bolt hold open. Do all Saiga .308s come with this feature? When installing a Dinzag FCG for a converted .308 do you include the bolt hold open? Is this a feature that most of you put on your converted Saiga?

I have been researching and learnign about the conversion process but have not heard much about the bolt hold open. Do all Saiga .308s come with this feature? When installing a Dinzag FCG for a converted .308 do you include the bolt hold open? Is this a feature that most of you put on your converted Saiga?

From what I know it comes on all Saiga .308's. It can be installed on a conversion but I have heard it is tricky to put back in so some leave it out of the conversion. I am getting ready to do a conversion in the next couple days and I do plan on reinstalling the BHO. I personally like the feature.

-Derek

As far as I know, all Saiga .308s come with the manual bolt hold-open. Dinzag's modified FCG for a PG conversion .308 is made to be used WITH the bolt hold-open. I think that most people do re-install the bolt hold-open, it is nice to at least have the option of using it. Some people like to shorten the "tab" on the bolt hold-open that sticks out the bottom of the receiver so that it is just long enough to allow you to activate the bolt hold-open. The modification reportedly prevents the "tab" from interfering with your trigger finger (if you are right handed). Take a look at the Saiga conversion video series on Youtube. The parts about reinstalling the bolt hold-open can be helpful. The best tip I picked up from it was to use something (I used 20 lb.-test fishing line, while the guy on Youtube used multiple strands of dental floss) to tie onto the loop of the bolt hold-open spring to help you pull it down into position when inserting the trigger group retaining pin. Also, using an inexpensive gun vise REALLY helps to ease the conversion process, as it frees up your hands to work on (rather than to just hold) the gun.

As far as I know, all Saiga .308s come with the manual bolt hold-open. Dinzag's modified FCG for a PG conversion .308 is made to be used WITH the bolt hold-open. I think that most people do re-install the bolt hold-open, it is nice to at least have the option of using it. Some people like to shorten the "tab" on the bolt hold-open that sticks out the bottom of the receiver so that it is just long enough to allow you to activate the bolt hold-open. The modification reportedly prevents the "tab" from interfering with your trigger finger (if you are right handed). Take a look at the Saiga conversion video series on Youtube. The parts about reinstalling the bolt hold-open can be helpful. The best tip I picked up from it was to use something (I used 20 lb.-test fishing line, while the guy on Youtube used multiple strands of dental floss) to tie onto the loop of the bolt hold-open spring to help you pull it down into position when inserting the trigger group retaining pin. Also, using an inexpensive gun vise REALLY helps to ease the conversion process, as it frees up your hands to work on (rather than to just hold) the gun.

Wow, I never even came across the YouTube Bolt Hold Open videos. I have only seen the basic conversion steps. This gives me a real good idea on what it takes to install the bolt hold open. Thanks.

I suggest shit canning the BHO as it always pinches my finger against the receiver, and it makes the conversion more difficult. Besides, real AK's don't have them...

How about filing down the BHO so it will not interfere as much? I think another member recommended that.

The bolt hold open IS reinstalled with Dinzags kit. To be honest the BHO is probably the hardest part of the entire conversion (for me anyway). I ended up cutting mine down with a bench grinder, only took a few seconds. Mine is cut down as much as it can be and I find that my trigger finger is still touching it. Only takes a few seconds to do so I would recommend it.

-Derek

On You Tube the holding back of the 2 hammer spring ends with dental floss is a good idea. I used what I had handy which was medical forceps(?), dental pick and a screw driver. The forceps lock closed like a miniature vice-grip. I use it to grip the bolt hold open (BHO) spring. I've done this procedure at least a half dozen times.

I place the rifle on my lap and a small flash light in my mouth.

I put in the hammer first without the BHO. Then I put in the trigger. When I put in the trigger pivot pin almost all the way in. I grab the forcep with the BHO spring and press it down past the pivot pin. I push the pivot pin in the rest of the way. I use the screw driver to press down the long arm of the pivot pin locking spring and push the pivot pin in to completion.

Then I slightly push out the hammer pivot pin, slip the BHO in and push the pivot pin back in to completion. Using the dental pick I pull up the BHO spring and slip it on to the BHO. We're all done.

Modifying the BHO. After carefully marking the BHO with a white-out pen I used my dremel tool to cut the BHO both narrower and shorter. Now the BHO rarely touches my trigger finger and I'm very happy with the result.

Norm

Edited by storminNorm
I suggest shit canning the BHO as it always pinches my finger against the receiver, and it makes the conversion more difficult. Besides, real AK's don't have them...

+1, install it in the trash, see avatar pic.

That's the funniest avatar I have ever seen!

I just tried re-installing the BHO with the Dinzag FCG. I ended up having the same prob i had with my 223 conv, that being the hammer spring (on BHO side) kept sliding behind the disconnecter. I cut into my safety on my 223 to use as a BHO, and will do the same for this one. As for the spacing i just took the end off to use a a fill-gap on the front pin.

• 2 weeks later...

After shooting my PSL, I just wish the Saiga BHO worked automatically... sure is a nice thing to have.

I left mine out and think I will one day get around to reinstalling. Bolt is pretty snug on those FBMG 20 rd mags.

Surprised nobody linked to this - its the Youtube vid that was referred to - really good - he's got many others on Saiga conversion as well. I recommend checking it out.

I have the BHO installed on both my .223 and .308 Saiga conversions - neither are done up as a traditional AK anyway and then there's the empty slot if you don't put it in....