I was browsing Numrich's website and ran across a M-1 Garand tanker kit, 18" bbl. I soon realized I really needed one so I decided to build it myself. This is the first and so far the only gun I have built from scratch. I jumped through all the hoops and ordered a receiver from CMP, got the kit from Numrich, and the stock and other miscellaneous parts from Fulton Armory. I had to buy an action wrench, barrel vice, a jig to put the barrel on straight so the front sight/gas cylinder wouldn't be canted, chamber reamers, and headspace gauges.

I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. It took a few months of getting a piece here and a tool there to get this thing together. Counting the parts, tools and my labor I have at least five maybe six Saiga's tied up in it. It's not cost effective to buy the tooling to build just one gun but I'm a DIY kind of guy and I am very happy with the results. I also got a rack grade Garand from CMP that I plan to restore so I will get to use all this stuff at least one more time.

This gun turned out exactly like I wanted it. It will shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I have put over 500 rounds through it so far with no malfunctions and I killed a fairly decent eight pointer with it this past hunting season, it was the first for this gun and both my Saiga's, All proved worthy and I have a freezer full of meat to show for it.

post-11555-1213446990_thumb.jpg

looks like a really "special" weapon (in a good way).

i'd loose the scope though (while switching the mount for more wood), and get an even blue (read black) on all the metal parts though. but that's a matter of personal taste.

The metal needs to be refinished but I had to stop somewhere. Maybe someday I will tackle parkerizing, I have several guns that need it. The scope has to stay. I built this gun to hunt with. The deer around here move the most just before dark. In the woods I lose almost a half hour of prime time because I can't see the sights.

G-ray,

For a parts gun that you assembled yourself, and shooting the way it does, it's a nice piece of work. I did the same thing but with a full size kit and a Winchester receiver. The colors you chose were a matter of personal preference but the quality does look good.

Forgive the quality of the shots...

Everyone should have at least one Garand. Mine shoots within the 9 ring at 100 yds open sights. That's just me putting the black in the sight picture, I can't see at 100 yds except for a black dot! :eek:

nyclu3

Edited by nyclu3

Those garands have really grown on me. G-ray, yours looks super sweet, how's the recoil with that short barrel?

My buddy bought what he calls a "hot rod" a few months ago, none of the numbers match on it, but it's a bad ass machine. From what I understand it was micrometered and worked in all kinds of fashions, it shoots sooooo good. It's not even my gun, but I'm hitting all 10 ring shots at 100 yards with iron sights. I've gotta get one of those things.

if you like Garands, be sure to also check out SAFN-49's. great old war rifles.

it's hard to believe that the Brits turned down the design during WW2, when FN's designer Saive fled to the UK with his design team and offered them the design. the brits forced them to redesign it to .303, but since that's rimmed, it had reliability issues... the design was shitcanned.

as soon as belgian industry was starting to recover from the war, Saive put the SAFN-49 in production (in 1949 obviously). it was later used in Korea, where belgian and luxemburgian soldiers armed with SAFN-49s were serving next to US soldiers wielding Garands. turns out that quite a few US soldiers expressed preference for the SAFN in the end...

anyhow, they're the Rolls Royce of old war rifles. check them out, they'll complement your Garand nicely. sadly not too many nice ones are up for grabs in the USA.

post-5168-1213519548_thumb.jpg

Don't be hatin' cause nobody makes a camo laminated stock for an AK lol

Oh, that's camo? What's it for, hiding in a candy shop? :haha:

You may need to adjust your monitor. I've never been to Hungary but in this country the trees are gray and brown and the leaves are green. (hahahaHAha)

Those garands have really grown on me. G-ray, yours looks super sweet, how's the recoil with that short barrel?

My buddy bought what he calls a "hot rod" a few months ago, none of the numbers match on it, but it's a bad ass machine. From what I understand it was micrometered and worked in all kinds of fashions, it shoots sooooo good. It's not even my gun, but I'm hitting all 10 ring shots at 100 yards with iron sights. I've gotta get one of those things.

Even with 6" chopped off the barrel it still weighs 10 1/2 lbs so the recoil is not that bad but 30-06 coming out of an 18" barrel does make allot of noise.

if you like Garands, be sure to also check out SAFN-49's. great old war rifles.

it's hard to believe that the Brits turned down the design during WW2, when FN's designer Saive fled to the UK with his design team and offered them the design. the brits forced them to redesign it to .303, but since that's rimmed, it had reliability issues... the design was shitcanned.

as soon as belgian industry was starting to recover from the war, Saive put the SAFN-49 in production (in 1949 obviously). it was later used in Korea, where belgian and luxemburgian soldiers armed with SAFN-49s were serving next to US soldiers wielding Garands. turns out that quite a few US soldiers expressed preference for the SAFN in the end...

anyhow, they're the Rolls Royce of old war rifles. check them out, they'll complement your Garand nicely. sadly not too many nice ones are up for grabs in the USA.

I think Shannon got one of those really cheap a year or so ago. I think it was Cobra, but they got a minty FN49 for 650 or around that price.

I think Shannon got one of those really cheap a year or so ago. I think it was Cobra, but they got a minty FN49 for 650 or around that price.

usually those in the US are worn out Egyptians or hacked up South-Americans. he's lucky if he got a really mint one.

as for cost? a totally mint one goes for 500 euros here. but by mint i mean totally mint. :)

post-5168-1213641627_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1213641634_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1213641640_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1213641645_thumb.jpg

You may need to adjust your monitor. I've never been to Hungary but in this country the trees are gray and brown and the leaves are green. (hahahaHAha)

Yeah? And what's the blue and peach for? lol

Yeah? And what's the blue and peach for? lol

Seriously? I thought you were just kidding around but there must really be something wrong. The stock is gray, brown, and green. The metal is parkerized dark gray, original finish. It has some wear but not much. The gas cylinder is stainless and the original black finish is gone so it's a lighter gray than the rest. There's nothing blue or peach on the rifle or in the picture I see on my monitor. I am not color blind, my eyesight gets tested allot.

Can anybody vouch for me or is everybody seeing this in pastel technicolor?

Hahaha, I can't believe I like that! Apparently anything "scout-esque" I'll fall in love with. If the metal was all finished park or blue, that thing would be amazing. Right now, I give it a 9 out of 10. Nice work man!

I think it looks great... :up: :up:

and the Richards microfit stock on the girls 10/22 looks good too... and if you look close... she is one SHORT little girl... LOL She makes the ruger10/22 look LARGE in comparison...

:smoke: