shooters reactions on the range

i want an attention getter.

Then get a S12 and convert it. I get offer(s) to buy mine nearly every time I take 'em out. The range I go to is full of AK's and AR's, nothing really remarkable until you start shooting 12 gauge slugs...

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

In California, I get too much attention. LE also train at my local range and always want to shoot my converted Saigas and always have positive feedback. Luckily, I live in the last conservative stronghold in California and the local sherrif is pro 2nd ammendment and the deputies are properly trained on current firearm law; unlike many other "union hack" sherrifs that people elect in other counties, my local sherrif encourages CCW and gun ownership. I do not shoot my Aks, ARs, or FALs at ANY other range in California because Im not entirely sure I will not be squeezed by local law enforcement, it happens. When people first started shooting converted Saigas in California, there were even range masters that would call the police on their customers or ban them from the range! I do most of my shooting at my buddy's 800 acre ranch way back in the hills, where I can bump-fire in peace :rolleyes:

When I train in Nevada and Arizona, Im just another guy with an AK. No one even cares. Full auto is about the only thing that draws attention from these folks.

Hello

Yes a lot of questions about both my Saiga & my RRA AR-15. It seems I always get asked if they are full auto with the standard anwer "Hell No" I dont want to go to jail.

This past weekend I got Spray & Pray comments because we were firing full 30 round magizines one shot after the another.

Former soldiers always want to fire the AR-15 and I sometimes let them.

My Saiga is so strange looking most people think it is some Black Ops type rifle.

Kevin

post-9422-1213715459_thumb.jpg

im just curious as to how many stares or questions you who take your modified saigas to the range get each time. i wanna know what i have to look forward to. i want an attention getter.

Uh, no stares, I shoot with guys/gals that own AR's AK's, SKS's bolt guns etcetera... We're a diverse group.. LOL :haha:

I rarely shoot my S12's at a range, but they get a lot of questions and comments when I do. The biggest comment is all the people clarifying/asking that it is a shotgun vs. a rifle. It's amazing how many people have never seen an "AK Shotgun". I think S12 values would really jump if more people new what they were looking at. To the untrained eye I can see how it would warrant a double take, especially for the one on the bottom.

12cs.jpg

So far I've just had a couple questions. Usually it's just grouped in with the usual AK stuff and you'll get shown their Yugo or Norinco.

But...get the Saiga 12 and things get interesting.

I think S12 values would really jump if more people new what they were looking at.

Too late, already have.

Hey...you could always bump fire it. That gets some grins at my range. Provided you're 'allowed' to do it.

Edited by chris in va

Although its a 7.62x39 section... you said attention getter: S-12

Big guy training his girlfriend how to shoot a glock the booth (indoor range) next to mine. I even said to him, its gonna get loud...he payed no mind but didnt see me pull out the Tromix from the case.

His comment after my 10 buckshots (fast) : "Jesus man, I nearly crapped myelf".

Most expressions are "whoa". Some shocked, some gasping, but some smiles with a big thumbs up.

Essentially, its like the movie Saving Private Ryan when you see the 20mm roll around the corner...various pistol fire then a deep....boom boom boom boom boom. Its certainly a show stealer.

(compared to just punching holes, when they see your target waving like a flag in the wind from the blast (10 yards out), its a sight for sure!).

Typical questions:

I thought AK's weren't allowed in here?

What is that?

Do they have that for rent here?

Where do I get one? ............etc etc.

You get all that, and one hell of a weapon. I call it my wall-o-death for home defense.

.........But for attention getting with a regular AK? Generally its the enthusiasts (who know what their looking at) that spark the conversation.

For me, its seeing the "quality" in the build that matters most.

~S

Edited by whatmanual
Although I'm not really a fan, the "fully loaded" guns get a lot of attention, too.

I pay attention to those guys at the club myself. When I see a guy with an ACOG, I gotta go ask him about the gun. I have to find out how much he spent and how bad he is with his gun.

Although its a 7.62x39 section... you said attention getter: S-12

Big guy training his girlfriend how to shoot a glock the booth (indoor range) next to mine. I even said to him, its gonna get loud...he payed no mind but didnt see me pull out the Tromix from the case.

His comment after my 10 buckshots (fast) : "Jesus man, I nearly crapped myelf".

Off Topic but........The last time I was at a indoor range a guy was teaching his girlfriend how to shoot a Glock too.

She fired teh first round , panicked, continues to fire until she had put three in teh ceiling and had all of us tight to the deck.

I nearly crapped myself!

(Moral to teh story is, when letting someone shoot a semi for the first time, JUST PUT ONE IN THE MAGAZINE!)

I shoot at the local national park range, and I often get "What the heck is that?" comments about my converted 16" 308. Also, one or 2 people usually come from the other end of the line come down to see what the racket is. It's pretty plain, I've got a M4 SOCOM stock on it, no muzzle brake, so that throws it a bit out in left field, I guess..

Loud and proud,

Acer

At the range I go to, I fired off 10 rounds from my S-12 (not particularly fast) and when I stopped the entire line was looking at me. First question from several of the LEO that happen to be there was "Is that legal?"

Their second question invariably was "where did you get it?"

One of the LEO's was ex-military and was very complementary of the concept. His take was that the few AK's he shot when in service were not very accurate.. So... why not make a shotgun out of it. When I told him that they HAD been retailing for $399, he was very surprised he hadn't seen/confiscated them before. I think thats a big +1000 for the "Saiga" crowd.

Usually people start packing up their shit and leave when they see me take my Saiga out. Lots of fuds shaking their heads and packing up their .22's to run home. It's great! I usually get the place to myself.

Had the SAME thing happen in NJ. Some gun owners have been nutered into full blown Girlie-Men by this radically leftist state.

Usually people start packing up their shit and leave when they see me take my Saiga out. Lots of fuds shaking their heads and packing up their .22's to run home. It's great! I usually get the place to myself.

Had the SAME thing happen in NJ. Some gun owners have been nutered into full blown Girlie-Men by this radically leftist state.

What's especially funny is when the ex-LEO's come over and start chest-thumping about how "illegal" it is to posses in the state of NJ on you. :lol:

Pick four fingers for me to fold under, Deputy Fife. :haha:

I get a lot of questions about my 7" AR15, but I don't get much comment on the Saiga. I had my SAR3 out one time, complete with m4 stock, black furniture, red dot and VFG and the guy next to me was like "you don't need that to go squirrel hunting". All I said was "Nope" and popped a 30-rounder in and went to work.

The coolest comment I ever got was from a buddy's wife about the shorty AR. "It looks like something out of a video game!"

Essentially, its like the movie Saving Private Ryan when you see the 20mm roll around the corner...various pistol fire then a deep....boom boom boom boom boom. Its certainly a show stealer.

(compared to just punching holes, when they see your target waving like a flag in the wind from the blast (10 yards out), its a sight for sure!).

That's the reaction I get. I shoot at an indoor range. When I start opening up with a 10 rounder with 3" shells the smoke billowing alone will get attention let alone the noise and the looks... Lot's of folks coming up asking to shoot it...