has anyone tried welding maglip?

Hey guys,

So I got some standard metal ak mags.

I was wondering if anyone has just welded up the lip of the ak mag to match the stock saiga mag, instead of using a bullet guide?

Has anyone done this? It should work right?

I figure that way I can still use my original saiga mags if I want to.

thanks,

skins

Yes, the Surefire magazine company offered welded foreign magazines before they came up with their current US made polymer offerings.

Thanks nalioth,

hmm I'm thinkin I think I may just do that. I could always "undo it" if I don't like it.

I have a spare I'll try it on first

Ok this is wierd,

so before I welded up the maglip, I thought hmm, maybe I should try throwing a bullet guide on the gun real quick. So I made one real quick and put it on. I cycled it without ammo. works fine. I load 3 rounds into my metal m

Ok so I take the bullet guide out. put the steel mag with 3 rounds back in, and cycle it to see what happens. should slam the round in the bottom of the barrel,and not load right?.... wrong. it cycles fine! I try it again, and same thing. It cycles perfect.

So not only do I not need the maglip welded up, but I don't need a bullet guide either! And I can use both stock saiga mags, as well as milsurp without a problem! I wonder whats up with that? maybe the specs are different on the newer guns???

I'm stoked!

Some guns are more forgiving than others in this regard. On my hunting rifle I welded up the front section on a bunch of the low cap AK mags and filed down the locking tab and they work great. Hardest part was in cleaning up the welds with a file and dremel-took couple minutes apiece. I also cut down the followers on some Chinese 5 rounders and made them into very good 8 rounders.....I have had good luck in finding the shorty AK mags at gunshows for a couple-$5 apiece and have had fun in converting them for my rifle. At last count I think I had 10 mags- They run very well.

not sure if they are soviet. Sorry,but my camera is down.

I got them from cold war shooters. you can see a pic there of them. they are the 30/10 ak mags

http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?m...products_id=341

nothin special lookin about em. I think it may be the gun??

That is a 10/30 mag... apparently they are not a standard magazine....

I welded my mag up and it works fine. I had to do very little filing or grinding. I just got lucky with that weld. The only thing is that I can no longer use that mag in my Romy G. Oh well I will just have to bite the bullet and make or buy a bullet guide. Anyone ever weld the guide in or is this just trouble?

I welded my mag up and it works fine. I had to do very little filing or grinding. I just got lucky with that weld. The only thing is that I can no longer use that mag in my Romy G. Oh well I will just have to bite the bullet and make or buy a bullet guide. Anyone ever weld the guide in or is this just trouble?

Try grinding down the weld a little bit at a time so that it works in both rifles. It can be done.

not sure if they are soviet. Sorry,but my camera is down.

I got them from cold war shooters. you can see a pic there of them. they are the 30/10 ak mags

http://www.coldwarshooters.net/index.php?m...products_id=341

nothin special lookin about em. I think it may be the gun??

That is a 10/30 mag... apparently they are not a standard magazine....

Yep, 10-30 saiga mag. Even though not the factory ones, these are converted. rusmilitary used to offer these.

Ok this is wierd,

so before I welded up the maglip, I thought hmm, maybe I should try throwing a bullet guide on the gun real quick. So I made one real quick and put it on. I cycled it without ammo. works fine. I load 3 rounds into my metal m

Ok so I take the bullet guide out. put the steel mag with 3 rounds back in, and cycle it to see what happens. should slam the round in the bottom of the barrel,and not load right?.... wrong. it cycles fine! I try it again, and same thing. It cycles perfect.

So not only do I not need the maglip welded up, but I don't need a bullet guide either! And I can use both stock saiga mags, as well as milsurp without a problem! I wonder whats up with that? maybe the specs are different on the newer guns???

I'm stoked!

Mine would cycle without the guide to, or so I thought. About 2 in every mag would hang up. Not so reliable,and thats what an AK is about. It's just to easy to install a guide to not do it.