Sporting Clay!

I bought a Saiga-12 at the Crossroads Gunshow in Denver and finally got it to the range today. I did shoot a box of slugs and a box of buckshot through the gun right after I bought it but that was just to make sure it'd function. Anyway, I shot a round of sporting clays with it this morning and had a great time. I've never shot sporting clays before and have had very little time on the trap and skeet range so I was pleased with my 50/50 score on clays.

The Saiga shot fine and busted birds when I did my part. I fed the gun two boxes of cheap Winchester #8's and two boxes of Estate #8's that I bought at the range. The only thing I don't like about my particular Saiga-12 is the price I paid for it. I've since found the same gun $75 cheaper from another dealer. That's not a complaint about the gun and reflects my own stupidity.

:( ...uhh... Did you read the front page of the www.Saiga-12.com? There are prices there (and I think they are even lower now) and the explanation on where to get the best deal........

Tokarev.... dont feel too bad about the price you paid for your gun...where i live , the local hardware store sells the S-12 'over the counter' for $440.00 and you can get the .410 for about the price i 'special ordered' my S-12 for.....had i not found this site i would have paid that price in a 'New York minute' , like some of my friends who have more money than brains....just wait till you have someone with a $2k gun ask you what you paid for that monster and you will forget all about the $75 you might have saved....the truly bright side is , now that you are familiar with this website , you have access to parts and info that most people dont , and you will pretty much be assured that you will know where to get things most people dont know even exist , at the best prices available.. :ph34r:

Tok, what barrel length did you get? 19" or 22"? Also, did you get the threaded barrel? Can someone explain what the different chokes are good for? Is the full choke good for trap? I want to get a 12 only to shoot trap and jackrabbits, but I also would like to be able to shoot slugs every once in a while. What kind of choke would I want for these activities? Or would the non-threaded barrel be ideal for this? THanks.

I have the "deluxe" 19 inch model with the ventilated rib and choke tube. Mine came with a cylinder choke installed, which is mainly for slugs and riot-type stuff where a large spread is needed for close up stuff. I think ideally a modified choke would be fine for most shotgunning activities and a full choke will keep the pattern tighter for longer range stuff.

When I get around to it, I'll order a modified choke from EAA and then try the clays game with some #7 1/2 shot and see how I do. I think a cylinder bore is a handicap on trap and skeet, etc. because you really can't let the bird get too far away or else you'll miss it.

• 3 weeks later...

i only shoot clays with full chokes...pattern might be a little tight for new clay shooters tho. try a modified choke first and see if you like that at the longer ranges. might leave a little meat left on your jackrabbits too if you are eating them. the .410 is really the best way to go for jazzy jacks in my opinion.

as for prices on the saigas...they shouldnt be more than 300 for you to buy one from cdnninvestments.com and shipped to your local FFL.