Few questions on barrel work

So i'm close to completing my conversion. I removed the FSB in lieu of an ACE clamp on front sight (i prefer the look). This leaves me with a 16" barrel (i think it's actually 16.3"). I'd love to just thread it, but as you know, the end of the 308 barrel is tapered. That tapered part is about 1/2" or so. Obviously i can't cut all of that off, but how else am i supposed to thread the end of the barrel.

A few more questions

1. For cutting the barrel, can i use a Saw-Zall or should i stick with a regular hacksaw. Either way which type of blade is the best?

2. I have the thicker barrel ( 0.671" i think?) so i believe that leaves me with only being able to thread 17x1. Which seems to limit my options a lot. I saw the 74 brake on Dinzag, but do you guys recommend any others?

I know there are threads about this but none seem to cover cutting and crowning a shorter barrel. I of course want to stay legal so any input is appreciated

I don't know much about it, but I've heard that Dinzag has ak-74 brakes that are threaded extra deep to get past the taper. When you go to thread it, just thread it past the taper a ways. That's what I've heard anyways. It's probably not much help, but it's all I know.

:-\

Acer

if that's the case, then that would help a great deal. thanks

Check out picture #180 in the 308 pictures section. I used Dinzag's M17x1 tap and TAT, with his '74 brake. Works like a champ. Dinzag was GREAT :super: to deal with and has a wealth of knowledge.

Joe,

Alias Over DaHill

I had Vector arms out of North SLC, UT do my 16'. They moved the FSB back after tapering down the barrel diameter. I had them thread the end of the barrel for 14mm reverse because that was the flash hider threading for the SVD style. (I also have a fake silencer suppressor that fits 14mm reverse). Then they re-crowned the barrel. Cost me about 90 bucks plus tax. Well worth it to me for the business end of my MBR. I really liked the idea and look of a barrel to suppressor line that did not bulge out or seem bulky at the end of the rifle.

It looks great, it shoots great, what more can I say.

i looked a bit closer at Dinzag's brake. His 74 is threaded deeper to take care of that taper, so i ordered that, a washer (bc i removed the FSB completely) and the threading kit. Shouldn't be much longer and i'll be done :)

• 2 weeks later...

I threaded mine and a freind of mines 16" .308's. I pressed out the barrels on both of them and chucked 'em up in the lathe nad turned them down to accept an AK FSB with the detent and threaded them 14x1.0LH to take standard AK muzzle attachments. They both look like factory configured rifles and shoot as well as they did prior to the conversion. If you can go this route, I highly recommend it.