APG first gen mags

From what I understand, the main difference between gen 1 and 2 mags is the followers on gen 2 mags have a bit more material removed from the front section. There's a diagram floating around the forum that someone made on how to mod your gen 1 followers to mimic gen 2 followers. I personally haven't had any feeding problems with my gen 1 mags while others have, it seems to be hit and miss.

Gen1 had a bad run of to much scrap:new material ratio in which the locking tabs would break off and mag would drop while shooting. AGP sent me a new mag body and I just moved over all the internals.. no probs! They added the "GEN2" to the mold so they could track the defective mags as being GEN1 and could clean out the system and start with proper scrap:new material ratio. This is what they told me on the phone.

Gen1 had a bad run of to much scrap:new material ratio in which the locking tabs would break off and mag would drop while shooting. AGP sent me a new mag body and I just moved over all the internals.. no probs! They added the "GEN2" to the mold so they could track the defective mags as being GEN1 and could clean out the system and start with proper scrap:new material ratio. This is what they told me on the phone.

You should call AGP, I hear they will help you out. I've heard people here where able to get new followers that solved the problem.

Hello

I've noticed that tha AGP mag's that I have trouble with (especially in one of my S12's) have a much "flatter" angle on the shell entering the breech. It appears to be the follower that makes the difference.

There's an obvious difference between the AGP and the factory angle, the 5's and 8's both have the front of the shell higher as it enters the chamber.

My AGP mag's with the "flatter" followers send the bottom edge of the shell (the crimp) into the face of the breech, where they deform and jam. A couple of degrees steeper angle would have 'em working fine, I believe.

I wonder if AGP makes redesigned followers....

guido2 in Houston

Hello, 1911 and Will

While I do agree that it was an exemplary gesture on Will's part to post the link to that thread :angel:

I had already been there....Mostly "call AGP and talk to Kevin first before posting" or "I LOVE these AGP mag's!" posts....

I was just wondering if the problem was with the S12 that wouldn't use the questionable mag's or if it may have been a problem experienced by others with different guns than the one I was having difficulty with. The fact that one of my S12's used 'em. while the other flat refused to be fed a single shell from 'em had me wondering...

I didn't want to talk to AGP if the problem was my particular S12.

I loaned one AGP mag to a co-worker that got a new S12 a few months ago, he says the mag is too wide to fit in his receiver.

I need to get it back and see if that is a gun "tolerance" issue or a mag issue (I'll see if it fits both of my S12's)

Thanks,

guido2 in Houston

Hello, Will

Now yer' talkin"....I noticed you started the thread on the Gen. 1 vs. Gen. 2 followers....Did you perform the mod's, and if so, did they perform OK for ya?

I suspected it was nothing that couldn't be remedied with some judicious Dremelition.

Thanks,

guido2 in Houston