.308 receiver question

ok im just checking out my saiga and preparing for a conversion. in my receiver i noticed i already have a square that looks like the pistol grip nut would go into at the very top of where the trigger comes thru now. if thats what its there for my concern is will it compromise the position of my pistol grip depending on which one i chose to use? i noticed on dereks conversion he had to cut his slot out for the pistol grip nut and its further back and i was going to use the same tapco saw grip. i probably didnt explain this very well but if you understand what im talking about then let me know if its going to cause a problem with my conversion. i dont want holes everywhere on my receiver like some i have seen tony repair. if this is a noob question sorry. ill be the first to admit i am a noob with this kind of thing and want to be well prepared before i jump into it. =X

Edited by Dale

Before I converted mine I took the reciever cover off and looked down where there was the trigger cut and also the square cut. It was cut about 1/2 inch behind where the trigger is supposed to go.I went ahead with the conversion. Once I got it stripped down and the plate off. Was able to use a pistol grip nut and bushing just fine. The square was slightly bigger than the nut but once I got the trigger guard on(welded mine) it lined up fine and everything came together. Can you post some pics of where it is located

Yeah that position looks right to me. It really shouldn't obstruck any of the ak pistol grips you put on it. Mine looks pretty identical The pistol grip cutout should start right in front of the trigger cutout starting from the fcg assembly then 1/2 inch of space then the cutout and then trigger line cutout for the old trigger.

Edited by Xpur3L0g1cX

well thanks for the help. i think ill be ok. if anyone else has some insight then please let me know it will be a couple weeks before i start anyway. i just want to see what some people had to say about it.

well thanks for the help. i think ill be ok. if anyone else has some insight then please let me know it will be a couple weeks before i start anyway. i just want to see what some people had to say about it.

yw, THe conversion should go very smoothly for you. When it comes to metal I dont know the first thing about it. I was trying to shorten the factory stock and when I accidently chopped it all to hell, I realised that I needed to go ahead and convert bc i had an extra ak stock on hand, then took all the parts from my ak and just removed the plate and stuck them in. Really didnt expect it to work so well.

Hey just heads up since you mentioned my conversion..... I actually set the pistol grip hole back just a bit on mine to achieve a better trigger position. The hole is actually supposed to be more towards to new trigger hole as shown in the pics above. If the hole is already cut on yours then you are golden, nothing to worry about.

-Derek

Edited by xjedix

I also cut mine slightly further back than the factory cut, not on purpose. Turns out it works just as well, no problems at all.

So, there isn't an *exact* location it has to be to work. You can flex the trigger guard to fit a small range of locations, and as long as the trigger guard fits, and the PG doesn't hang off the back of the receiver, I think it will work fine. Mine does.

i was thinking it could affect the distance of my fingers to the trigger a little bit. probably not tho. i figured i would just ask first to see if the precut square for the pg nut at the top of the factory trigger slot is common or not and to see if it would affect my build.

thanks for all the replies guys you restored confidence back in my conversion im planning.

Edited by Dale