krebs ghost ring vs. hk sights

It's hard to beat the Krebs Ghost Ring for sight picture.

I don't have the HK sights, but the I will second what Bob said... The picture on my Saiga with the ghost ring is intuitive and easy. It creates a ring around another ring (the front sight guard is rounded) with an AR15 four-prong post in the middle.

A side note:

Adjusting the Kreb's sight post (stock A2 style) was hard as hell to get started since mine was all the way down when I recieved it. The tolerances were so tight that I needed a jeweler's screw driver to adjust the post up and down because there was no gap around it and the indentations were so small on the sight post.

As an additional option, I would also look into Dinzag's sights as he has one that is similar to the Krebs.

Krebs no doubt but to make it even better get a KNS cross hair front sight, to replace the AR front sight post. I know otherrs differ on this but the HK is attached to the dust cover the dust cover is not securly mounted ie it moves, that could throw off your slug shots by a lot. Go with the Krebs and up grade it with a KNS Cross hair front sight that is a tough combination to beat. http://www.coloradoshooting.org/kns.htm I use this on my AR also

Edited by topmaul

Installation isn't a problem (Tromix is doing this) so mainly just wondering along the lines of functionality. I like the Krebs idea of a small circle within a circle. How do the HK sights function? And is the difference also in where they're mounted on the gun?

Does theKNS Duplex screw into the front raised Krebs sight in place of the original peice?

Are the threads the same?

Thanks,

Krebs no doubt but to make it even better get a KNS cross hair front sight, to replace the AR front sight post. I know otherrs differ on this but the HK is attached to the dust cover the dust cover is not securly mounted ie it moves, that could throw off your slug shots by a lot. Go with the Krebs and up grade it with a KNS Cross hair front sight that is a tough combination to beat. http://www.coloradoshooting.org/kns.htm I use this on my AR also

I've got the KNS hooded crosshair post in my Krebs sight and while it works great I gotta say, its just about impossible to get a good grip on it to screw it in between the "ears" of the front sight. Its an extremely tight fit, I think this may be because I got the hooded post instead of the regular version. The hooded post is a bit thicker and leaves almost no clearance to get it screwed all the way in. Major PIA.

Anybody else have this issue?

OK, lets see if I can get this pic thing to work. Sorry about the crappy pic, didn't take it intending to show the crosshairs.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee129/L...ns/IMG_0190.jpg

Remember this is the hooded version; it has a thicker protective hood than the regular version. Also I mistakenly got the Duplex version (has a vertically adjustable dot) which is great for a rifle but seems pretty unecessary on a shottie. I was originally going to sight the crosshairs for shot and the dot for slugs but after experimenting a bit I think this proved unfeasible.

Edited by DistalRadius

Does anybody have a picture looking through the HK's or Krebs Ghost Ring's?

The HK XS sight system Tony mentioned does sound nice, but I'd like to see what the other two setups offer. The pros vs. cons on the HK sight being on the dust cover but close to your eye has got me even more undecided now too :cryss:

HK XS Sight System

XSsighLg.jpg

Where does the rear HK XS Sight system ring mount? On the receiver or in place of the original Saiga rear sight?!?

Is the HK XS compatible with a top gas tube welded rail?!? Anybody has a pic of a gun with that system on?

Edited by ilsrwy27

OK. Here's some better pictures of the KNS crosshair sight post in a Krebs front sight tower. Please remember that this version is the Hooded Duplex. Hooded meaning the ring is thicker. Duplex meaning it has an adjustable dot in addition to the crosshairs. If I could do it again, I'd just get the regular crosshairs. The Duplex dot is about useless for S-12 and the thickness of the Hooded ring makes it a bear to install completely. To be honest I'm not completely sure I've got it in all the way. Notice the scratches on the top of the post? Very little clearance around the "ears" of the sight tower. Oh, and keep in mind that you're trying to depress the front sight detent pin at the same time.

post-6253-1215043964_thumb.jpgpost-6253-1215043984_thumb.jpgpost-6253-1215044000_thumb.jpgpost-6253-1215044008_thumb.jpgpost-6253-1215044019_thumb.jpg

post-6253-1215044029_thumb.jpg

Ooo-kay, well for whatever weird reasons I cannot seem to be able to upload the last two pics. Odd. Oh well, anyway heres a link to photobucket to see what the sight picture looks like with the KNS post.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee129/L...ns/IMG_0367.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee129/L...ns/IMG_0368.jpg

Side note: You know, I just realized something; I think this may be the first post where I actually had something useful to contribute. I may have actually even helped someone. Feels kinda good. :D

Hah!

I went and bought the same set up at your reccomendations!

I had a hard time getting the double hooded KNS cross hairs in the Krebs front too, I had to make a special tool out of aluminum.

It is pretty sweet! Thanks for the advice!

I am digging it. Mine did not have the adjuster on top just smooth round, but it turns up and down,. and the Krebs is adjustable left to right,..

Field report is in order here,..

Ooo-kay, well for whatever weird reasons I cannot seem to be able to upload the last two pics. Odd. Oh well, anyway heres a link to photobucket to see what the sight picture looks like with the KNS post.

Side note: You know, I just realized something; I think this may be the first post where I actually had something useful to contribute. I may have actually even helped someone. Feels kinda good. :D

My Krebs/KNS fit but it was tight, now my KNS is one my AR-15 because I put my Krebs on my son's Saiga because he had that stupid rail thing and was complaining, I did put the plastic Tapco orange front sight in there for him. What I don't like about front sight posts is that some times I would sight in on a brush guard not the post so something had to be done. Same with my Saiga Rifles so I ordered the AK front sight post kit form Tapco via Blackjackbuffers.com now that problem went away.

THANX for the great pics.

Ive beenn holding off getting one b/c I wasnt sure what it would look like

Cheers, HarvKY

XS rear (H&K) sight is really an upgrade sight. You have to weld HK sight base on your reciever cover first.

here is Tony HK sight set Tony HK sight

If you look at the picture you will see what I mean. rear sight

here is the XS sight

tactical4.jpg

Thanks, that is a great setup! Which one of the two option does Tony/Tromix use? I think I prefer the upper HK MP5 but both look great to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out with the new Krebs Ghost Ring sights this last weekend and am impressed. I consider myself a novice still and have only shot slugs with my Mossberg with the bead sight and of course my Saiga with the factory sights so being able to look down the barrel through these Kreb's and hit a soda can at about 40 yards felt real nice. I'll post pics when I get a chance.