krebs ghost ring vs. hk sights

Here's a pic of the Krebs Ghost Rings I got on here now. I wish I could match real life depth of field because it's not so shallow looking down the barrel of this thing:

066.gif

I love these sights! Haven't had experience with other sights on a shotgun but these are really nice! I admit my first instinct was to have my eye a little closer than it should be to the rear sight and the first time I pulled that trigger the receiver told me to "back off a inch or so". I got touch cheek bones though.

068.gif

Edited by ernestmayhand

Looks great man! :smoke: Glad they're workin for ya.

Did you know that you can punch out the rear aperture to get a much larger ghost ring? I just found this out recently. Comes right out and allows for more rapid target aquisition at the cost of slightly reduced accuracy. I used em as-is for a good while but, with the crosshair front post it was just a bit too much like rifle sights. Now it feels more like a shotgun.

Kellysguy,

I believe KNS only makes AR-style posts to the best of my knowledge, however the Krebs front sight tower uses AR posts as opposed to AK-style.

I wasn't sure which sights to buy, so I followed Tony's recommendation. I like!

100_0153.jpg

100_0151.jpg

100_0150.jpg

Notice the high tech Koozie Mark I Shark Brake Bad Guy Repellent Case Protection Device. Simply slide the koozie over the end of your shark brake and like magic, your case is protected from the pointy end of your authentic Shark Brake. If you are interested, I am sure I could procure a prototype of this protection device for you. Just send $99.99 plus shipping and handling to the WJ Ronco Kevlar Koozie Company of Walla Walla, Washington. No part of your purchase is tax deductible. (just kidding! No such company; no such product)

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge
Just send $99.99 plus shipping and handling to the WJ Ronco Kevlar Koozie Company of Walla Walla, Washington. No part of your purchase is tax deductible.

WJ

You're in Walla Walla? How does it feel being so close to the border of fully automatic land south of you there (I think Oregon is fully auto legal isn't it)? I'm in Seattle and trying to talk my buddy into doing a fully auto S12.

I had to punch the aperture out of my Krebs, I liked the bigger ring. My target acquisition time is down tremendously.

I tried to punch my aperture out and it wouldn't even budge. The weird thing is that I've gotten used to aiming with the threaded stud that was under the sight rib. Any tips on how to get the plug out of the sight?

That's odd to me that so many people are having trouble with the small ap and how to get it out. It just pushes out the open side...

There is a threaded hole under it that, from what Tony said once, there's a set screw that was supposed to be included but was usually not.

Could that be the problem with you guys not being able to get yours out easily? Ive got a set here and it is no problem to press the small ap in and out with a dowel or small socket.

D.R. I thought for sure I told you about that a while back. :unsure:

Make sure you're pushing the right direction.

Dear Bob,

I'm planning on knocking mine out as well.

The "right" direction is determined .....how??

Thanx as always. Keep up the great work.

Cheers, HarvKY

EDIT:

just saw your post Cobra. I'll look for that tomoorow when I get to it

Thanx as always

Harv

Edited by HarvKY
D.R. I thought for sure I told you about that a while back. :unsure:

You did. I had the same issue with it not wanting to budge. I finally got it out by finding a dowell closer to the actual aperture diameter than the punch I originally tried to use. I also had to smack it way harder than I would have thought necessary which I think is why it didn't budge the first time I tried.

FWIW, the aperture comes out forward (muzzle end) being punched from the rear (stock end)

It depends on whether or not the installer put the thing in correctly. You want the "KCI" logo facing the shooter. If you have it in the other way, then the recoil of the gun is going to want to walk the insert out the front. Especially if you never installed the set screw from the bottom to retain it. When you get them from Krebs, the set screw is not installed.

To remove the insert, drive it out toward the KCI logo.

Tony

Does anybody have a pic. of the rear sight for the hk sights? I have seen side views of it a lot but no aiming views. I know that warrior judge put a pic.. up but that was with the upgraded sights. Are the normal hk sights that way also? thanks

It depends on whether or not the installer put the thing in correctly. You want the "KCI" logo facing the shooter. If you have it in the other way, then the recoil of the gun is going to want to walk the insert out the front. Especially if you never installed the set screw from the bottom to retain it. When you get them from Krebs, the set screw is not installed.

To remove the insert, drive it out toward the KCI logo.

Tony

I installed my sight "Backwards" but I did so on purpose. Didn't want the Aperture, and with KCI towards me, light reflecting through the hole and onto the sleeve caused a glare I didn't like :)

Hello

Anybody know of a way to use the Krebs front with the older-style EAA rib (ramp?) style sights? A buddy of mine just bought the gun, and I have a spare Krebs setup I was trying to set him up with, but with no dovetail rear sight it looks unlikely....

TIA for any advice....

guido2 in Houston

• 2 months later...
I tried to get the plug out with a different tool and it worked! I used a socket adapter and it came right out after a few good whacks. Now I don't feel completely retarded. :exciting:

I installed mine thinking that despite what others have said, that I would like the smaller aperture. Way to small and slow for a shotgun, for me anyway. Still I was worried about whacking the thing out of there, I did not want to mar it, or damage my dovetail.

So, I made a tiny jack out of a 2.5" machine screw that went through the hole in the sight, a small socket for a spacer and a washer. I just kept tightening a nut on the screw till it pulled the aperture out for the sight.

Quick, clean and easy!

Edited by Azrial
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing I notice about the Krebs sights is that the front sight clamps onto the barrel. With a shotty I suppose precision isn't too important, but doesn't the barrel expand after being fired through? Doesn't this throw the front sight off, either quickly or over time? And does it weaken the front sight after repeated expansion/contraction?

Edited by Molten Tuna

No Quota,

To get the site that's in the Kreb's out when you get it,

I used a square driver bit (for screws) while depressing the retent pin with a small diameter brass rod, then I took an old aluminum tube from a tent pole (The tent was long gone) and cut a groove out of the middle with a hack saw, and sanded it down to just fit over the KNS Site and inside the Krebs front site, then while pushing the detent pin down with the same small brass rod, I used it to screw the KNS double hooded site into the Krebs. I was much happier when I pushed out the plastic ring in the rear Krebs ghost ring too it is easy the right way, and a bitch the wrong way.

Molten Tuna,..

You are thinking too much about it,

the clamp on sight expands and contracts too,..with the barrel, put loctite on the screws so they don't come loose,...

the biggest thing to worry about is knocking it hard against something,.. easy to adjust otherwise,..

I have shot mine a bunch of times and it is still dead on.

One thing I notice about the Krebs sights is that the front sight clamps onto the barrel. With a shotty I suppose precision isn't too important, but doesn't the barrel expand after being fired through? Doesn't this throw the front sight off, either quickly or over time? And does it weaken the front sight after repeated expansion/contraction?
Molten Tuna,..

You are thinking too much about it,

the clamp on sight expands and contracts too,..with the barrel, put loctite on the screws so they don't come loose,...

the biggest thing to worry about is knocking it hard against something,.. easy to adjust otherwise,..

I have shot mine a bunch of times and it is still dead on.

Looks exactly like the answer I was looking for. Thanks!