OK, for a short term drop cache, like under a log with matches and .22 rounds, how would a nalgene bottle fare? If packaged in a dehumidified area, would there still be chance of condensation from temperature changes if sealed tightly? I see bottles with survival kits in them and wonder how well they would last.

And I thought about double ziplocking within the bottle. Condensation is the biggest fear. Also, would temperature change loosen the tightened down lid eventually? I just had a bottle of bug repellent open up yesterday in a bag while I was kayaking because of jostling action. What a mess! I did find an awesome wide mouthed nalgene bottle in great shape that was abandoned at the campgrounds. Experiment time! B)

OK, I planted mine in the backyard because I didn't want to have to look for it in the woods to see how all went. Placement, we have sandy soil here so I buried it under a brick under where the drain comes off the roof. I want to make sure it has plenty of wet in that area so it will be like a wet moist woods. Inside, I did use the hair dryer trick, placed a book of matches and a blued, unoiled bolt inside, along with a napkin,a notecard and a piece of adding machine paper with the date on them in ink. Inside a ziplocked freezer bag I put another book of matches and the untreated .99 cent swiss army knife. Experiment on! :up:

Now I finally have something useful I can do with my BPA laden nalgene bottles. Stainless steel for my H2O needs from now on, those nalgenes tasted like plastic if you left water in them for a month or so (still better than no water, but why poison yourself).

Let us know how it goes. I may drop a few around the yard, while I'm "installing a sprinkler system".

I saw on the internet bear safes made from same material but larger. Tough stuff. We've had alot of rain the last couple days so the more the better for the experiment, speaking as my cache floats away....... :lolol:

http://www.bearvault.com/

Read some stuff online about nalgene, some scary shit for sure.

Edited by THE_HUNTER

Currently my bottle is buried under a ditch and the ditch has 4 inches of standing water in it from the extremely heavy rains today. I think when we hit a dry day, I will dig her up and see how she's doing. Then I may place her in the woods for duty. Where I will place it is extremely well drained and way up on a ridge line. Easy stuff for it to weather, as opposed to the initial test this week. :up: A week of heavy rains, that will test it well where it is now. Can't say in winter conditions how it will go but for now we'll see. I'm planning on burying it under a big rock so I can find it and the critters won't dig it up either.

I like your shadow pic, makes me think of "The Thing" :up: I think the water won't be a problem there in Vegas for you. Probably will evaporate so quick it won't have a chance to even get inside, even if you had a faulty seal. Remember Terminator 2 and the Mexico gun stash? Deserts are great places for that!

The ditch dried enough that I dug her up today. When I opened her up, she hissed from the vacuum within and was bone dry! I am quite happy with that week long torture test so I will bury her back in the hills and forget about her unless needed. I like calling it a her! :lolol: I sound like I buried a body or something. :drevil:

Dude, up here in MT we have a lot of people that burry all kinds of stuff for just in case. Favorite method seems to be to use heavy schedule-40 PVC pipe and glue caps on each end with Moisture and Oxygen absorbtion packets inside (Yes, there are two different types of packets to absorb each which can both cause problems with stored goodies mail order them from a packing goods catalog) that combined with a blast of helium (easily obtained in gas bottles already set up for inflating balloons from your local party rental store) before sealing the final cap with PVC cement seems to do the trick nicely. You can usually get most things into the 4" size and if that don't work it also comes in 6" and 8" sizes which can easily swallow most long-guns.

Also easy to bury just take a post hole digger out into the woods dig down as deep as possible drop your tube in and then fill in on top -- very little dig foot print just as big around as a post hole.

Edited by turbo1889

I've heard about that and that sounds like the best long term plan but 2 problems. In a SHTF scenario, you have to have a saw to get to your stuff, also if people see you walking around the woods with a post hole digger, kinda obvious. PVC pipe wouldn't be wide enough for some things, like AK variety firearms........ great for other stuff though! :up:

Ah! Now that's an excellent idea! Very smart! I checked out an area today that I though of burying a nalgene bottle under a big rock but then realized when freeze came the rock would be cemented down with ice! That would suck and the ground would be frozen too so I couldn't dig under it. hmmmmmmmmm....I know trapper supply places sell an anti-freeze to add to soil but I'm sure that would wash out to quickly. If I just place a bottle under or in a log the critters will either gnaw through it or carry it off. I'm stumped......

Just stick it under the rock and quit your whining...

No one said when the SHTF that everything would be EASY... If it was... the S wouldnt really be hitting the F, now, would it?

LOL

:smoke:

• 3 weeks later...