S-308 accuracy vs. M1a

i got 3 S-12 ordered. but because of the delays in shipping, im wondering if i should get a S-308 instead of 1 of the S-12s.

how accurate is the 16" .308? how comparable is it to a M1a? i have a loaded match Springfield M1a (for reference).

how disappointed would i be with the .308? 75% of my shots are within 100 yards. 155 grain ballistic tips or coreloks. im thinking about it b/c im tired of playing with a bolt when my hands are FREEZING.

and as the pic goes, my gf at the time took the pic (she is now my ex), the brunette is now my gf (was my ex's bestfriend), and the redhead is the brunette's friend. she unfortunately is dating a little cocksucker, oh how i hate him....

how disappointed would i be with the .308? 75% of my shots are within 100 yards. 155 grain ballistic tips or coreloks. im thinking about it b/c im tired of playing with a bolt when my hands are FREEZING.

and as the pic goes, my gf at the time took the pic (she is now my ex), the brunette is now my gf (was my ex's bestfriend), and the redhead is the brunette's friend. she unfortunately is dating a little cocksucker, oh how i hate him....

I have a 21 inch saiga 308 and I shoot the South African bulk ammo and I see about a seven to eight inch group. every shot hits the paper. but the saiga 308 is more about kicking up dirt than accuracy and precision

I have a 21 inch saiga 308 and I shoot the South African bulk ammo and I see about a seven to eight inch group. every shot hits the paper. but the saiga 308 is more about kicking up dirt than accuracy and precision

you need to change your ammo i got a stock 22" 308 saiga only thing on it is a 3x9 40mm scope and im getting 1"@100yrds with a factory load fed power shok 150gr SP

i got 3 S-12 ordered. but because of the delays in shipping, im wondering if i should get a S-308 instead of 1 of the S-12s.

how accurate is the 16" .308? how comparable is it to a M1a? i have a loaded match Springfield M1a (for reference).

get the .308... and if ya get tired of it. i'll buy it off ya :P

I have the longer barrel one and it is fun out to 200 yards or so and with decent accuracy, not bolt gun or M1A accuracy though. So goes about the hotties. I've ALMOST been married 2 times, thank God that didn't happen! Now I'm back in college surrounded by hot dittses. I feel like I'm 18 again! ;)

I have a 16" barrel Saiga .308 that I converted myself (Thanks for the FCG Dinzag!). I have a 3-9X40 scope on it. So far, I have achieved 2 MOA with it. My opinion is that, with decent optics and the right ammo., 2" groups at 100 yards should be attainable on a regular basis. If you get one, I highly recommend converting it. With Dinzag's .308 FCG, it is easy! The factory FCG is a POS in my opinion.

you need to change your ammo i got a stock 22" 308 saiga only thing on it is a 3x9 40mm scope and im getting 1"@100yrds with a factory load fed power shok 150gr SP

Have a 16in red jacket convert, 1-1.5moa with steel cases and psop 6x42DPRO.

Okay... I'd have to say go with the .308. True, in stock form they aren't as accurate as an M1A but still a great rifle. Now, chew on this for a while... with a recrown of the muzzle and the addition of a red star adjustable triger group, along with a mojo sight / decent optic I feel that the accuracy my Saiga .308 is superior to my old M1A. Maybe I'm just lucky and I got a good one or maybe my M1A wasn't all that. I don't know. But my Saiga .308 is definetly dinging "paint can" size targets at 400 yds. -A great rifle. Never once a malfunction and very accurate for a semi auto.

As with any rifle ammo plays a big part in accuracy. Def. go with a .308 if you've got the dough. The mags are a little pricey though. That's the only draw back. I've got 3 factory 8rd mags and 2 of the surefires that are like 30 or so at near 50 bucks a pop. 5 mags are enough for me considering I don't shoot it very much(ammo is too expensive to blow).

Accuracy is comparable to a standard M1A. A match will probably do a little better. In my experience the Saiga is very sensitive to ammo choice. You'll see anything from 8 inch "groups" to 2 inch groups depending on what you choose to feed it. A 2 inch group is pretty good from a $350 gun, wheras the $1600 match M1A will only shoot a little better, if at all better.

I've shot next to the M1 socoms and my saiga just happened to outgroup that gun on that day. If I had to choose between the two and cash was no object, I'd go with the M1A as it's got far more potential, and is also very reliable.

i have both an m1a and an s308 the saiga isnt as accurate but let me tell you its more fun to shoot, i can give her whatever ammo i happen to be able to afford and plink away. the m1a is too expensive to be shooting garbage wolf ammo through

I get about 5" groups with South African and about 2" groups with handloads. Federal match and one oddball batch of surplus would give me around 2.5" groups.

They're not tackdrivers, but with some experimentation they are reasonably accurate.

I get pretty decent accuracy wiht Lithanian Surplus. 520 for 1000rds OUCH but it's damn fine stuff. I bought 1000rds of Brown bear and although not as accurate, I am still in the 2.5" groups.

Your choice. $500 for 2-3" gun or 1500 for a 1.5-2" gun.

I have to say a 21" is every bit as accurate as a non-tweaked M1A. Here are a couple rapid fire targets at 100 yds. from my PSL and Saiganov... shooting Czech light ball out of the PSL (those are sighting in groups) and South African surplus out of the Saiga.

Only gripe I have on both is they tend to vertical string in rapid fire as the barrel heats up.

Saiga off a bipod, PSL off a bag. PSL has a 4X scope, Saiga has a 6X...

post-3216-1214947647_thumb.jpg

If I slow down and relax some, it pretty much makes a ragged 2" hole with 8-10 rds. The PSL surprised me with the factory trigger and all. Note that the sight in holes are pretty much double taps.. kinda all over figuring out the PSOP scopes... duh!

I get pretty decent accuracy wiht Lithanian Surplus. 520 for 1000rds OUCH but it's damn fine stuff. I bought 1000rds of Brown bear and although not as accurate, I am still in the 2.5" groups.

Your choice. $500 for 2-3" gun or 1500 for a 1.5-2" gun.

i "stole" my M1A, got it for $900 about 5 yrs ago. the place i bought it from wanted to sell it b/c they wanted to make room for a HK SL8. a loaded match M1a, and it has a synthetic stock....just what i was wanting.

3 yrs before i bought it from them, a guy had them order it for them and he never came to actually purchase it.

just a little history, sorry for rambling.

I had my TROMIX 16 in Conversion out this past weekend with two buddies who both had SOCOM 16s... And truthfully out shot both... We didn't do any testing or were trying hard but I could tell they were imressed with the Saiga 308. At 300 yrds with my MOJO Peeps, I could hit the target where I wanted EVERY time.... They had several misses, with little consistency. I think I'm allot more familiar with the Saiga than they are of the SOCOMs though.... We're all prior militarty also, so training shouldn't be a big factor... They Army, Me Marine... Well training may be a factor now that I think of it... ;)

I had my TROMIX 16 in Conversion out this past weekend with two buddies who both had SOCOM 16s... And truthfully out shot both... We didn't do any testing or were trying hard but I could tell they were imressed with the Saiga 308. At 300 yrds with my MOJO Peeps, I could hit the target where I wanted EVERY time.... They had several misses, with little consistency. I think I'm allot more familiar with the Saiga than they are of the SOCOMs though.... We're all prior militarty also, so training shouldn't be a big factor... They Army, Me Marine... Well training may be a factor now that I think of it... ;)

id chalk their inconsistence to either natural ability, or they didnt retain the training. some of us were just born to shoot. kinda like people at the range near where i live were shocked at my groups/distance with my M44 nagant. i know plenty of marines that couldnt hit shit with a shotgun from 5 yards away.

I'm looking for a .308 21" Saiga.

What are you guys finding is the best performing ammo?

I haven't tested many kinds of ammunition, but I get 2" 100-yard groups with Federal Premium loaded with 150-grain Barnes TSX bullets. I really just use the .308 for hunting hogs, so I can afford to use expensive ammunition for that. I got just about as good accuracy with regular 150-grain Remington Core-lokt ammunition. Those results were before I converted my .308. With the new better FCG, it should do a little better.

I'm looking for a .308 21" Saiga.

What are you guys finding is the best performing ammo?

I haven't tested many kinds of ammunition, but I get 2" 100-yard groups with Federal Premium loaded with 150-grain Barnes TSX bullets. I really just use the .308 for hunting hogs, so I can afford to use expensive ammunition for that. I got just about as good accuracy with regular 150-grain Remington Core-lokt ammunition. Those results were before I converted my .308. With the new better FCG, it should do a little better.

Mine shot so good right out of the box that I didn't want to change anything. It now has the trigger in the normal AK location and there's a Thumbhole stock on it, but I never bought any new FCG for it. I like the Russian one. I don't use High-caps so haven't bothered with dealing with 922r on my .308.

+1 for Federal Premium. I got 100 rounds when Midway had it on sale for $15. It groups the best out of the ammo I have tried. A Saiga 308 will run right with most MBR when using a good sighting system, either optics or a Mojo peep sight.

I just had mine to the range a couple weeks ago and shot some Federal blue box 150 grain sp loads - basic, hunting ammo.

I had the TC 4x scope installed (this is intended for muzzle loaders but works great on an AK - compact) and I printed 1.5", 3 shot and 2", 5 shot groups with it.

It's a 16" conversion - here's a pic:

HPIM1165.JPG

and here's the scope mount that I use - very solid and mounts low:

HPIM1168.JPG

I can't say how this compares to the M1A as I don't own one... but I can say that this rifle is good for 500 yards easy - mechanical 7.5" group at that range with off the shelf hunting ammo... should be able to keep them inside 12" at that range.

One of these days, when I have a lot of time I am going to do a cold bore shoot. bam, wait five minutes, etc etc. I want to see what the Saiga can do then.

In the mean time I have done better, way better with a 21" to the tune of 1.5 inches five shot groups at 100 yards with milsurp. My 16 does a lot worse - 2.5 inch - but I think thats because of the MB, maybe. Interestingly enough Federal GM fared no better than milsurp. When I get my reloading bench set back up I am going to try the 155 grain bullets, particularly the lapua, and see what they do.