Problems feeding Federal Low Brass 1oz loads

I have a saiga 12 I converted myself. It has always ran 100% with Winchester bulk packs and Remington Bulk packs 1oz or 1 1/8. With federal low brass I would get ftf's and stovepipes constantly. I recontoured my hammer some to decrease the resistance on the cycling bolt carrier. It now runs with Federal 1 1/8 oz loads but still has ftf's with the 1oz. It does not seem to stovepipe any more since that mod.

The FTF's is always the shell catching the area on the barrel shaped like a ramp for the extractor to ride over. I have no idea if it would be a bad idea to polish or round this part. I'm thinking that or just barely open the gas ports. More like polishing the ports with a drill bit almost.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know I am being anal but I want it to function reliably with all the major low brass shells.

Edited by SaigaFodder

I was at the range today to check reliability of low brass stuff. I also got a ftf with federal after some pretty rapid strings and a really bad on with a Fiocchi Heavy 9 Spreader Load (looked like it actually sweged the plastic). The Spreaders ( I have about 6 boxes) all have a pretty poor crimps (six point and deeply recessed) and in fact loose pellets sometimes in the box. The Federals are also pretty "soft" plastic. I have also polished the ramp up, etc. and don't seem to have problems with ftfs with rounds like Rem Nitros.

hrmmm I converted my shotgun and had no change in reliability with the federal bulk ammo... although I've always shot 1 1/8 oz loads soo.

I find that shooting some Buck or slugs 2 3/4" on gas setting 2 gets the gun worked in :)

hrmmm I converted my shotgun and had no change in reliability with the federal bulk ammo... although I've always shot 1 1/8 oz loads soo.

I find that shooting some Buck or slugs 2 3/4" on gas setting 2 gets the gun worked in :)

I only took it out once before converting it and I don't think I used Federal.

Last night I broke the sharp edge I was talking about with a long skinny stone in my dremel. I was very conservative/light, but could feel a huge difference. I put 50 Federal 7 1/2 size 1oz load shells through it today and had no failures of any kind. I rapid fired, shot it as limply as I could, etc to try to make it malfunction. So recontouring the hammer and breaking/rounding the edge solved my issues.

Edited by SaigaFodder
  • 2 weeks later...