Reloading Full AGP's on Closed Bolt

:victory:

Check out my vid. My editing skills are bad so the sound disappeared for some reason when i edited out the extra film from me picking up the gun and me turning off the camera. Anyway, beat that reload!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RMCUVlTrjjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHw4oipfRLs

BTW. Post # 1000

Had to get there before my 1 yr anniversary here... which is tomorrow.

Edited by SaigaNoobie
If you are counting... leave one in the chamber... you dont have to rack the bolt... pulling the trigger will do it for ya! :up:

:smoke:

Precisely Indy. But yes, if you went empty, you can rack the bolt on a 10rd mag... it's TOUGH and you really have to plow it down but yes, you can.

I've actually run into issues with the first round out of the mag not chambering if I loaded with 10 on a closed bolt and one in the chamber. Trying to rack it manually, I almost have to combat rack it. But then we know, these guns aren't the most consistent from batch to batch, or even within the same batch.

Edited by SinistralRifleman
I've actually run into issues with the first round out of the mag not chambering if I loaded with 10 on a closed bolt and one in the chamber. Trying to rack it manually, I almost have to combat rack it. But then we know, these guns aren't the most consistent from batch to batch, or even within the same batch.

I don't doubt it. It's at least 5 times harder to get the bolt back on the top round than on the subsequent 9.... Might be better off running empty and manually cycling to make sure there aren't any FTEs because of the increased resistance.... or you could load a 3" magnum as the 10th round :)

10th round? come on, now. ALL rounds.

LOL but how would that give me EXTRA energy to get over that first round in the 10rd mag? Silly.... gotta remember, the first 9 are 2 3/4... so that 3" is gonna kick on gas setting 2 ><

I've sat the range for probably 15 minutes trying to do that even once. I've failed every single time I tried, and not once was it ever even CLOSE to locking in.

Unusual, mine go in pretty easy though I'm practicing to improve my speed and fluidity. I'm using my RAK-12 right now, my stock Saiga was a bee-aatch to get it in there and pull the bolt back afterwards. I have a feeling there was some tweaking at Red Stick though I've never compared them. Might be that the new gun was more amenable to it. What size shells are you using?

2 3/4"

That's all i had at the house. Target load for shooting trap/skeet/5stand.

Twin, try using your right hand. I can't get a full mag to lock in with my left no matter how hard I try... I don't know why but If my right hand gets eaten by zombies, i'm gonna be F*CKED!

Down load a mag, say put 7 or 8 in it and don't be afraid to use force! After you get used to it add another shell or two then you'll have it another thing you might want to get a chest rig so you can go through all the motions.

Down load a mag, say put 7 or 8 in it and don't be afraid to use force! After you get used to it add another shell or two then you'll have it another thing you might want to get a chest rig so you can go through all the motions.

I'm considering a chest rig and dump pouch so i can practice fully.

I've sat the range for probably 15 minutes trying to do that even once. I've failed every single time I tried, and not once was it ever even CLOSE to locking in.

One other thing I thought of though you probably already know it. The load is a series of movements. First you slip the front of the mag in and compress the shells downward into the magazine. Angle is critical here, if you're off by very much you'll fail. Then you slide forward slightly to lock in the front lug of the mag. After the shells are compressed and the front of the mag is seated you rotate back hard to finish by locking the rear lug into place.

If you smooth out your bolt like Tony and Mike show in the "what needs to be smoothed?" thread, the loading of a full mag to a closed bolt is easier.

With an extended mag release, acccessible with your strong hand remaining on the grip, a weak hand load is the fastest way to go. Getting out on the range with a timer and doing it a bunch of different ways is the only way to figure out what is fast. There is always a little time lost between dry fire using a par time and actual time of live fire. You can't feel how fast something is. Actually, when your really going fast, things appear to happen without "speed" attached to them.

When thinking about the shotgun reload for competition, you have to take it on the move. You'll rarely see an instance of a static (stationary) reload by a good shooter. That's how tube gun shooters are fast. They reload whenever they move. To take full advantage of the Saiga, you have to do the same. Furthermore, you have to shoot on the move as well.

In a match, I start 10+1 and load to 9, unless the stage scenario dicates that having a 10 round reload is a great benefit that outweighs the potential of a difficult reload.

If you smooth out your bolt like Tony and Mike show in the "what needs to be smoothed?" thread, the loading of a full mag to a closed bolt is easier.

With an extended mag release, acccessible with your strong hand remaining on the grip, a weak hand load is the fastest way to go. Getting out on the range with a timer and doing it a bunch of different ways is the only way to figure out what is fast. There is always a little time lost between dry fire using a par time and actual time of live fire. You can't feel how fast something is. Actually, when your really going fast, things appear to happen without "speed" attached to them.

When thinking about the shotgun reload for competition, you have to take it on the move. You'll rarely see an instance of a static (stationary) reload by a good shooter. That's how tube gun shooters are fast. They reload whenever they move. To take full advantage of the Saiga, you have to do the same. Furthermore, you have to shoot on the move as well.

In a match, I start 10+1 and load to 9, unless the stage scenario dicates that having a 10 round reload is a great benefit that outweighs the potential of a difficult reload.

I can time myself without being on the range. BUT I cannot determine if my shot will have enough juice to cycle the bolt against a full 10 rounder off the range.

I started with my weak hand and I can do it but it's slower, more awkward.....

I was worried that my time onto target from the end of reload would be slower with the strong hand grip... they're about the same.

Ok, my comments on this video......

First off, practice how you fight. You should get some mag pouches from somewhere and practice reloading drawing your mags from the pouches.

Second. You can hit the mag release and drop the empty with another magazine. This works well with tactical reloads, reloading before your empty because you know your low. That way you can keep the weapon oriented to the enemy or target. If your swinging your weapon arround or pointing up like that.... its just not good.

Three.. You should invest in a extended magazine release so you can drop the mag with your trigger finger while you are getting a new magazine out.

Nope I bought it from Oleg at Rusmilitary.com 3 or 4 years ago before the dollar sunk. The trick to this is the elastic strap that goes across the mag pockets it holds them pretty secure, you can get a chest rig and add the elastic I think Ronswin did that to his.

This is the way I learned from Gabe Suarez to reload the five rounder but I adapted the technique to the ten rounder. Your method works the same way.

Well pretty fast, but does Gabe teach the tactical use of a bed as a mag carrier?

Seriously, pretty fast. :D

This is the way I learned from Gabe Suarez to reload the five rounder but I adapted the technique to the ten rounder. Your method works the same way.

Well pretty fast, but does Gabe teach the tactical use of a bed as a mag carrier?

Seriously, pretty fast. :D

LOL Azrial. I don't know what Gabe teaches... I plan on pushing my bed around in SHTF scenarios so I can reload fast. :)

In all seriousness though, I don't wear a mag vest to bed so in a home invasion, I'll probably be reloading from the bed or dresser or table.... Train like you fight?

.......In all seriousness though, I don't wear a mag vest to bed so in a home invasion, I'll probably be reloading from the bed or dresser or table.... Train like you fight?

Fair enough, well that gives me a product idea for bed spreads with built in mag pouches. Or maybe I will just go with a Molle fastener bed spread that will be infinitely customizable....

I don't have any real problem getting fully loaded 10 rounders in, excepting the fact that I just don't practice, so it's not smooth. They go in, though, and I don't have any problem racking the bolt. I always have to rack it because I'm still having so much fun just shooting the thing that I run it dry, and know it's time to reload because of the disappointing "click". I do have a mag pouch that I got The Vest Guy to make for me. I never tried it shells up. I have an extended mag release and just hit that with the trigger finger while getting the new mag with the left hand. I just load it with the left hand and then grab the Galil cocking handle over the top with the left hand.