Newbie going to buy Saiga 7.62 x 39...First rifle.

I'm familiar with shotguns and handguns, but not rifles. I found one at a local shop for $365...what are the things I should look out for on the rifle? I've seen it, haven't held it, but the end of the barrel had some stuff on it (discolorification or some gunk). It was NIB.

I always field strip my pistols before I buy them...I look to make sure everything is clean and infact NIB. Is it recommended to do the same or just buy it?

thanks

A few things to check for:

Canting of the sight block and gas block

-ensure the rifle is unloaded, then stand the rifle on its butt--look straight down at the muzzle and see if everything looks straight

Check for a precut pistol grip hole

-open the top cover, shine a light into the internals and look for a square cutout just in front of the trigger (hard to see, but if you see part of it, its there)

Both of these are easily remedied but if you check first, it may save you a bit of headache--esp since its your first rifle

AP

Well, I doubt they will let you 'Field Strip' before you buy like they did on your pistols...... plus you don't have a clue on how to 'field strip' an AK I'm guessing at this point (instructions here, do a 'search). Just make sure it's NIB from a reputable dealer and you you should be OK. Mine was real Clean, no Cosmoline or anything (Cosmo, is a preservative that some Russian rifles are packed in... Just be sure to clean it Real Good before firing.... If no Serious Cosmo, just Clean the Bore W/ Hoppes #9 and finish with Break Free CLP on the action...then wipe it clean...... ( I like a 'Boresnake' in .30 cal for my 7.62 AK Cleaning)

I would suggest a .30 cal 'boresnake' to pull thru from the chamber side to clean it (Hoppes#9 near the brushes of the boresnake & gun oil on the end)....break in the bbl by shooting a few rounds then pull it thru...shoot a few more, then do it again until you shoot about 75 rounds....... now you're good to go

$365 sounds sort of high. Have any gun shows coming into your area anytime soon? If not and you're not in a rush I'd hunt gunbroker for awhile. Just be picky what seller you purchase from. <$300 shipped is very reasonable.

I inspected my iz-132 a good amount when I got mine. As far as getting it into firing condition it was fine. Its easy to see why many people take it right out of the box and put hundreds of rounds down range.

Thanks guys...great help. Three Questions.

1. So some scum that I might see near the end of the barrel is that preserver stuff that should come right out?

2. Also, some pros and cons between the 16" and 20" barrels..The 16" is the original AK length, right? I'm assuming the 20" is a heavier barrel and more accurate.

3. Will it be obvious if the reciever is dimpled? I'm not sure what to look for here? just a small recess above the magazine well?

thanks again

Thanks guys...great help. Three Questions.

1. So some scum that I might see near the end of the barrel is that preserver stuff that should come right out?

2. Also, some pros and cons between the 16" and 20" barrels..The 16" is the original AK length, right? I'm assuming the 20" is a heavier barrel and more accurate.

3. Will it be obvious if the reciever is dimpled? I'm not sure what to look for here? just a small recess above the magazine well?

thanks again

Try to smudge the scum on the muzzle with your finger and see if it smears, if it does, its likely a preservative--though Cosmoline is usually brown.. Should not be a big deal..

The 16" is of the same profile as the 20" so they're the same thickness.. I'd be opening a can of worms, but my logic tells me the 16" is more accurate since it will be more rigid, being of the same thickness and all.. The 16" is the original AK length. 20" will net you about 100fps of more velocity, but you may or may not sacrifice a negligible amount of accuracy (not even enough for most people to measure).

If the reciever is dimpled, it will be very obvious, you will see two pill shaped indentations about 1/2" in length just above the magwell--you can't miss it. But if it is not dimpled, don't worry. Aside from collector value, dimples do little for a saiga aside from looks since undimpled saigas have magwell shims welded in place to act as dimples.

The pistol grip hole I was referring to is only important if you plan to put a pistol grip on your rifle, no need to look for one if you don't want to convert it. But from my observations most undimpled 7.62's have the hole precut for some reason..

AP

Look for the PG hole......You WILL convert it. Now that you're reading here , you're already hooked! :rolleyes:

The dimples are cool, but meant nothing for function.

I've always been curious why the no dimples are stamped like a AK, PG hole , etc. and the dimps ( that are spossed to be more AK) don't have it.

Oh well, its a great weapon, you'll love it and want more.............I'm looking for me a 12 now!