Import stocks - Thumbhole, PG, Dragunov

OK, folks... let me ask anyone that cares to respond to this a quick question.

When you buy an AK, or WASR, or similar design rifle, that is imported with a pistol grip stock, It is obviously legal in that configuration. Since you can also buy them brand new in the configuration of a thumbhole, or a dragunov style stock, they are also legal as well!

So... would that mean, then, that any imported AK style or variant ( not including the saiga) could have the stocks switched up, from the original PG to a thumbhole, or from a thumbhole to a PG, or a Dragunov style without being in any violations of any laws?

No! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

If it's pistol grip, you can go thumbhole, as you are removing an evil feature. If it's thumbhole, however, it doesn't have enough US parts in it to be legal in pistol grip configuration, as that would add an extra Bad Feature and turn it into a Imported Assault Weapon rather than a "domestic sporting rifle."

Hmm.... interesting...

I always thought it was almost the same thing as far as ther BATF went... considering the PG and the thumbhole and a dragunov style stock design.

I forget which thread had it listed, but the BATF actually replied to someone about their question of a Choate dragunov stock as being "pistol grip protruding, and therefore evil"

But, I guess a "thumbhole" is considered a "sporting" stock... so its in the "good parts" category.

SO... as long as my AK came with a pistol grip standard from the motherland, I can put ANY type of stock on it I want, without having to change up ANY internal parts.

Thats what seems to be the case here...

SO... as long as my AK came with a pistol grip standard from the motherland, I can put ANY type of stock on it I want, without having to change up ANY internal parts.

Depends on the importer... the SAR-1s have the US PG as one of their US parts... if you switch it to a foreign-made PG you're over the limit for foreing parts...

Well, thats good to know... cause mine came with the muzzelbreak, and a bayonet lug and bayonet, as well as the high cap removable mags straight out of the box... It was legal to buy ... so it must be legal!

Otherwise they couldnt have sold it to me.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/assault/treasrelease.htm

After April 6,1998 all semi auto rifles imported can only use a 10rd or less mag. They can't have the ability to use a hi cap mag. They are modified by the importer after being imported to use hi cap mags. US parts are added to get the number of imported parts down to 10. Then the rifle complies with 922r and is legal for the importer to sell.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardw...tf_letter32.txt

Covers the stock swapping.