If you're set up to use the Galil orlite mags, will these work without any modification? I'd like to get some, but I don't want to have to make any mod that renders my orlites unusable or unreliable.

Stick with your Orlites.

The Weigers require your mag latch to be ground.

Some folks grind just enough to get the Weigers to fit, which leaves them with loose (but functional) Orlites....

Have fun.

If you're set up to use the Galil orlite mags, will these work without any modification? I'd like to get some, but I don't want to have to make any mod that renders my orlites unusable or unreliable.

Stick with your Orlites.

Some folks grind just enough to get the Weigers to fit, which leaves them with loose (but functional) Orlites....

Have fun.

That's what I figured. Thanks for confirming.

You can use Bulgarian .223 waffles w/o disturbing your Orlite setup.

There is a tab sticking out of the back of the magazine well that needs to be ground off (has nothing to do with mag latch).

magw2gl6.jpg

The area in red on your saiga should be flat. After it's flat, Bulgarian 5.56x45 waffle mags should fit fine (they do in my Saiga .223 after removing this tab).

Flat like this (at the back of the mag well):

MilBtm.jpg

Edited by nalioth

Given the choice between Wiegers and Orlites I would go with the Orlites, because if you take a little JB Weld and build up the front of the mag a bit, you can get away without a feed ramp. You will have to sand the sides of the mags a bit just do it slowly so you can get a good snug fit. That said I have 5 Weiger mags which also require a bit of grinding they work fine the but are much heavier and only hold 30 rounds comparied to the Orlites which hold 35 also your going to need a feed ramp with the Wiegers.

Given the choice between Wiegers and Orlites I would go with the Orlites... [the Weigers] are much heavier and only hold 30 rounds comparied to the Orlites which hold 35 also your going to need a feed ramp with the Wiegers.

I'm an Orlite fan (I got mine when they were $5 each, and I love 'em ;>), but just on principle, I would go with a steel mag over a plastic mag, any day of the week. Steel lasts; plastic simply 'degrades.' They just didn't have Weigers for $5 each when I was converting my Saiga...

(Which brings up PLAN B: IF YOU CAN BUY A SH!T-LOAD OF MIL-SPEC PLASTIC MAGS FOR THE PRICE OF A FEW STEEL MAGS, THINK ABOUT PLASTIC [THAT'S WHAT I DID] - OTHERWISE GO WITH STEEL... ;>)

• 4 weeks later...

Stick with your Orlites.

Have fun.

Slightly wrong. The mag catch stays as is, but either the mag gets a trim to allow it to fit under the extended bolt lugs (a charming way of making a non-high-cap importable gun), OR grind the aforementioned lugs to what amounts to normal, bulgy or SAR 3 height, which is what I did (the latter) so all my .223 mags fit all my .223 AKs (Romy, Bulgy, Russian, etc.). I have posted pics on this thread so may times, you should be able to dredge them up in threads or my gallery.

Enjoy the wondrful world of "conversion" and Americanization (don't forget the 922 parts).