My oldest dog dies this evening. She was always a sweetheart, and had an infectious grin that always pulled me out of a bad mood.

She was 12 years old, part full size Chihuahua, part Austrailian sheep dog.. I remember back when she was a tiny puppy and fit in the palm of my hand. I hand raised her and she was a part of me.

She had been listless the last few days, and she just layed down and died. Very sudden

Its like loosing a member of the family. That is the bad thing about dogs, they die so soon and you have to deal with the hurt.

I had just got her rabies parvo and all the other shots and all of that, could it have had something to do with it? I am just at a loss at to what happened.

Sorry to put it on you guys, just needed to get it off of my chest.

Happy 4th everyone.

Dammit, waltham_41

I'm sorry to hear about that. Kind of ironic, I just returned from the Emergency Vet where I held my Alpha male German Wirehaired Pointer Dekin's head in my arms for the last time as he headed to the Happy Hunting Grounds. He had a bad (dyslexic) hip that finally caught up to him when the carpet in the living room was replaced with slick-as-ice laminate and his hip displaced. He was a bit over 13.

-I try to be proud for giving 'em a great life more than sorrowful for their loss, but I know it still hurts. 'Specially those ones that manage to crawl right next to your heart....

May they both be chasin' squirrels together (and in Dekin's case, finally catchin' em!)

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Shit man I'm sorry. I really feel for you. My entire world is my Saint Bernard and my Husky and if anything happened to one I'd be crushed.

Don't worry, talk about it till you're blue in the face because we're all some listeners around here. And yeah dogs die soon and we have to deal with it but it's worth it 1000 fold in exchange for everything the dog gave us.

With as many dog people as we got... we could second as a dog board....

We understand what you are going through and are here for ya.....

I'm sorry about your dog ...

Our pup (13 ys old) Petey is diabetic with a bad neurological disorder.

is is in every way of the term "on the clock"....

Keeping you and yours in our prayers.....

Many thanks guys. I hope there is a place they go that is pain free and they can play and hunt all day long..

Its funny how guns and dogs seem to go together so well.

Mods, I just realized I put this in the wrong section. My bad, head is not thinking right now. Could one of you guys move it to the any topic section. Thank you.

Edited by waltham_41

Many thanks again guys, its good to know that I have friends that I can talk to about things like this.

Jeaux E you may very well have a point, but I sure was at a loss of what do while the wife was sitting there crying like a baby and I didn't know what to tell her because I was tore up inside myself.

I don't know how many of you guys are superstitious, but we recently acquired a young pit bull, and in the last two weeks the wife found a pup on the road near our house that someone had thrown out and it chased her so she stopped and brought it home.

It has doubled its size in 2 weeks and has paws the size of half dollars.

All the vet could tell me was that he is a German Shepherd mix with another large dog, he is a PITA but he needs a home so we took him in. They had cropped his tail, cant see why someone would do that and then dump him.

I named him Winston after Winston Churchill, you would have to see his eyes when he knows he is in trouble.

Anyways, part of me feels that I put the mojo on myself by bringing in the new dogs after having a set amount for so many years.

I guess its just me trying to blame myself for my dogs death, (her name was Shotiz BTW) because I don't know what killed her and that makes me mad.

Again, thanks for listening guys, really appreciate (and need) it.

No man, you can't blame yourself for your dog's death. It was her time to go. And remember, they are pack animals, they will hide the fact that they are injured until they succumb to their injuries. I had the same thing happen with a rottweiler mix who was only 3. She was bleeding internally and hid it until it was too late. Just like your dog, she just layed down and wouldn't get up. We were able to get her to a vet and even went so far as to have a transfusion done. It was no good because it was just basically too late for her. My wife and I were quite torn over missing signs that something was seriously wrong with her. I administered the dose that finally put her down myself (with the vet next to me). I felt that since I was the one that picked her out of the litter that I should be the last one to hold her.

It was just her time to go.

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colours. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.

Author Unknown

Sorry about your loss. That is the only problem with dogs, we generally out live them. I have buried my share and understand your pain. Best Wishes!

Wow man. I am so sorry. It was not so long ago that I lost I lost my own buddy, Max to the happy hunting grounds in the sky.

Thank you for sharing your loss and don't worry at all about it. And PLEASE don't blame yourself. Guido2 I'm sorry to hear about your dog too. This weekend is a huge batch of mixed emotions for me. One of the holidays I usually celebrate with the most enthusiasm, and also one filled with many losses. I'm sending good thoughts your way bro.

That is really something about the new pup too. Wow. Don't even blame yourself for that! You have given another dog a chance where he might otherwise have died himself. It is odd how that happened. The same thing...well sort of...happened to Sandi and me when we lost my shepherd, Max. The very day we found him along the roadside near here, where he took his last breath, we were burying him in my pet cemetery by the pond, and this cute little shepherd / lab mix came trotting across the back yard to meet us. She was surveying the property intently, like she had a purpose and was on a mission. She came up and checked us out, then ran all the way around the pond and all over the yard. We finished what we were doing and went up to the house. She was still hanging around. I had never seen this dog in my neighborhood before, and here she was coming straight to us in a huge time of need and didn't want to leave. After a couple of days and she was still hanging around, I offered her some food and water. She's still here and we named her Sasha. I did have her checked for a chip and walked her around the whole area asking neighbors if they had ever seen her or knew who she belonged to...nothing. She was sent to us, I really believe that. Now she's about the happiest mutt I ever saw! As a lot of you know, I have since adopted another full blooded shepherd, and they now get along great. They sleep together and share food with each other, and are excellent security dogs. NOBODY comes on, or even near my property now with me knowing. They even sound an alarm, just a low "woof" when they hear my room mate's car coming up the road...from about two hundred yards away and inside even.

Once again guys, I am sorry for both your losses and I'm sure today is a difficult day for you both. Know that you have good friends here thinking about you and share that rest of that love, that you may now find backing up, with your other fine dogs.

They also miss their buddies. Welcome Winston! If he's part shep, he'll be a great dog.

Hello, Cobra

Thanks, man...sure put a damper on my celebrating. 13+ years is quite a while...

Hey, we have to work on getting some sterilization goin' on over there...No wonder Sasha and Max II are such good friends... :wub:

The best,

guido2 in Houston

Wow man. I am so sorry. It was not so long ago that I lost I lost my own buddy, Max to the happy hunting grounds in the sky.

Thank you for sharing your loss and don't worry at all about it. And PLEASE don't blame yourself. Guido2 I'm sorry to hear about your dog too. This weekend is a huge batch of mixed emotions for me. One of the holidays I usually celebrate with the most enthusiasm, and also one filled with many losses. I'm sending good thoughts your way bro.

That is really something about the new pup too. Wow. Don't even blame yourself for that! You have given another dog a chance where he might otherwise have died himself. It is odd how that happened. The same thing...well sort of...happened to Sandi and me when we lost my shepherd, Max. The very day we found him along the roadside near here, where he took his last breath, we were burying him in my pet cemetery by the pond, and this cute little shepherd / lab mix came trotting across the back yard to meet us. She was surveying the property intently, like she had a purpose and was on a mission. She came up and checked us out, then ran all the way around the pond and all over the yard. We finished what we were doing and went up to the house. She was still hanging around. I had never seen this dog in my neighborhood before, and here she was coming straight to us in a huge time of need and didn't want to leave. After a couple of days and she was still hanging around, I offered her some food and water. She's still here and we named her Sasha. I did have her checked for a chip and walked her around the whole area asking neighbors if they had ever seen her or knew who she belonged to...nothing. She was sent to us, I really believe that. Now she's about the happiest mutt I ever saw! As a lot of you know, I have since adopted another full blooded shepherd, and they now get along great. They sleep together and share food with each other, and are excellent security dogs. NOBODY comes on, or even near my property now with me knowing. They even sound an alarm, just a low "woof" when they hear my room mate's car coming up the road...from about two hundred yards away and inside even.

Once again guys, I am sorry for both your losses and I'm sure today is a difficult day for you both. Know that you have good friends here thinking about you and share that rest of that love, that you may now find backing up, with your other fine dogs.

They also miss their buddies. Welcome Winston! If he's part shep, he'll be a great dog.

guido2 I tried to post while the forum was down, I am sorry to hear of your loss, on the same day even. I read your post, and it didnt register in my brain that I didnt acknowledge your loss like I should have. You were brave to do it yourself, a lot of people could not, and I dont know if I could of with this dog.

I held my girl and petted her about 30 minutes before she died, I knew it was comming but was in serious denial.

I know both of us will never look at the 4th of July the same again.

Cobra, Winston is growing like a horse, he had doubled his weight and size already. The ankle biters are scared to death of him. I think he is a grizzly bear/ shepherd mix to tell you the truth. If I come up missing call animal control for me. (bad joke)

Thanks again guys (and thank you for the PM while the site was down racegal) it has been a difficult weekend, hoping the week will get better. Have a Enfield No4 Mk1 and lots of ammo comming in this week. Shooting is always good therapy.

Guys, all I can tell you is, it WILL get better. Only time will allow you to stop hurting so much, but you'll start remembering the good times more than the bad, and in time, you'll smile when you think of how great a dog you were blessed enough to have in your life - and how lucky they were to have found you!

All this death lately has me feeling a bit down. I lost my dad 3 months ago, and the day I got home after his memorial service, my oldest dog, Daisy (a black Lab I'd had since she was weaned), was sick and had to go to the emergency vet. She didn't make it. I'd tried to be so strong for my dad, because "real men don't cry" was part of his creed and our upbringing, but having Daisy go so soon after really took me off guard, and I broke down.

I take solace in the fact that Daisy was 13 years old, and she was a puppy every single day of her life, up until that last day. Her liver failed, her blood went septic, and he system just shut down, and she couldn't understand what was happening to her. I held her while she breathed her last breath, and she knew she was truly loved. Luckily, I got to do the same for my dad; I was holding his hand, talking to him, telling him that I'd shoulder the load for him from here on out, and he could finally rest for a while. I think he understood, because he let out one last breath and just didn't breathe in again. He fought liver cancer HARD for over two years, when they had given him literally weeks to live, and most of those two years were good.

I can't help but feel that Daisy decided he'd need a dog when he got where he was going, so she decided to meet him there. I know they're not hurting any more, and that helps.

Another dog definitely helps, but don't rush things. You'll know the right dog when it finds you. Sounds like Winston just might be your answer. :)

Hang tough, and remember all the great times you had with your dogs. All they ever really wanted to do was make you smile and make you happy, and it sounds like they did a great job of that.

Mike

I'm realizing now that life is about dealing with changes and enjoying them if possible. You lost a close friend, you know you'll find another if you want to, and you know you haven't really lost her.

Sorry for your loss, good luck.

sorry I missed this one, somehow...

my biggest dog ever, my bestest ever pet (I can spend a couple of hours naming them all and telling you stories about them see below for a few), was BORN on july the 4th. he died on august the 5th at 840pm.

I have gotten over it, but I stop and think of him almost every day, and I go to mcdonald's and get him a burger on his birthday still, and expect to sit alone for the day again, this year, on the day that he died. he was really like my child.

one of the only things that comforts me, is that he had NY strip steak for dinner the night before, and enjoyed a life of freedom, and that I gave him the best life any dog could ever have.

the big dog, he would retreive cord wood in the dead of winter, on command, to feed my only source of heat, the stove. you shoulda seen him go after 8 footers. LOL hed HELP me, in a big way. couldnt ask for a better retriever than him, and have never even met another canine capable or willing enough, to duplicate his performance. I am missing part of my soul since he died, that I cannot replace, and he sits beside me to this day, in his urn.

guido - he was the only pup his mother had. we kept him. no still births, etc, the ONLY pup in the litter. he rammed a car he HATED (HATED) at full speed, with the same car going about 30 mph, and gave me one of the best laughs of my life, when I realised he was ok, but a "bit" stunned. he also enjoyed his hourly helping of fresh chiken shit. I would not let him lick me!

lulu - nicest female poodle/terrier halfbreed you ever could find. she hated men with hats or helmets, but she was the most gentle dog I think I had ever met, before the big dog. she would rescue baby rabbits from the cats (I have always had vicious wild cats that eat small rodents) and bring them over incredibly gently, that it was shocking. her motherly instinct I have never even seen in a human. GOD FORBID a woodchuck showed up in the yard. holy cow, that dog would LOSE it. It really was a dr jeykle and mr hyde thing, for real. lulu would froth at the mouth and not even look at you, the whole bit, once she even SAW a woodchuck. I have yet to see an equal transformation of character, in any thing or any one.

my point - these animals all leave thier mark on us all, if we care to take the time to observe it, and I know that all dogs do indeed go to heaven. they make our lives so much happier and better, it is a shame to remember them in a bad way, and often, we cannot even remember the things we got mad at them about. It was good to know these friends of ours. As much pain as I have over losing them, the happiness they shared with me, has also stayed with me. The best way to remember those that we have lost, is to think of them in a humorous or loving way. That is the best dignity that we can give, in the end.

I look forward to seeing them all again, at the end of my days.

Ditto that, Bvamp....

Thanks for the bump.

We all need a "refresh" once in a while to put that dogger-induced smile back on our faces as we re-live some of the memories in our hearts.

I've always maintained that you will recoup double whatever you put into your dogger. Of course, if you put nothing into it, well...But, if you invest just a little time and love and respect, WOW!!! do they ever pay back.

In his younger years Dekin would hold a rock-solid point on the backyard squirrels for 30-45 minutes at a time, only moving to occasionally turn and look back at the house as if to ask, "you gonna shoot this sumbitch or what?" before he'd get bored or one of the bitches would get let out and "flush" his squirrel.

After a while the squirrels just ignored him, 'cause unlike the other two dogs, Dekin would just freeze-up in a non-threatening point! I guess if squirrels could laugh....

Bless his heart, I bet he's catchin' those laughin' squirrels now! Or, maybe he's got somebody backing him who will actually shoot 'em for him!

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

The best way to remember those that we have lost, is to think of them in a humorous or loving way. That is the best dignity that we can give, in the end.

I look forward to seeing them all again, at the end of my days.

It is great, I think that is why so many people prefer the company of pets to the company of people.

I have been screwed over by so many people over the years that I could write a book using just their names, but I cannot remember one pet that ever turned on me.

Edited by waltham_41