Stupid question here....my brother gave me a 3" H&R ultra slugger and I have a boatload of 2 3/4" slugs and want to make sure it is ok to shoot them. The slugger is marked 3" so just checking!

As long as the gun is marked for 3" you can run ammo up to and including that size*, so blast away. Course you might not like your shoulder in the morning :ded:

*this doesn't count with old damascus barrels

the H&R Ultra Slug is great ,i have a 20Ga., i am shooting 2100Gr. slugs, yes almost 2 Oz. slugs from it :eek: i am shooting M193 PD (Point Detonating ) 14.5mm arty trainners you cant even crimp a 3" shell on them but at 100yrds they are very accurate and will sink more than 3/4`s of the 2" lenght into a steelbelted 18 wheeler tire and such a heart warming BANG when they hit with a bright flash and a nice dense smoke mark cloud :super: :super: :super: the poor mans M-79 but the 193`s dont fragment so if you miss you will scare the heck out of them :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

That is what I thought, I appreciate it guy's! I just got my boys a H&R combo w/ the 223/410 action. My oldest fell in love w/ the 410 his first shotgun shooting. I fell in love w/ how accurate both barrels were. I am already looking into getting one in a 308 and then adding barrels to it. I wish I could add barrels to the ultra slug but I read from the H&R website you can not add to the shotgun recievers/stocks but you can add shotguns to rifle stocks. That sucks now since I have the 980. At least it was free and it sounds like I ripped my brother off by accepting it for free.

I love big bore rifles and had a Benneli that I shot plenty of slugs through it. I have 60 slugs to go fire...I will respond tomorrow!

• 1 month later...
the H&R Ultra Slug is great ,i have a 20Ga., i am shooting 2100Gr. slugs, yes almost 2 Oz. slugs from it :eek: i am shooting M193 PD (Point Detonating ) 14.5mm arty trainners you cant even crimp a 3" shell on them but at 100yrds they are very accurate and will sink more than 3/4`s of the 2" lenght into a steelbelted 18 wheeler tire and such a heart warming BANG when they hit with a bright flash and a nice dense smoke mark cloud :super: :super: :super: the poor mans M-79 but the 193`s dont fragment so if you miss you will scare the heck out of them :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

2100 grains is closer to 5 ounces...an ounce=437.5 grains.

i havent done a Gr. to Oz converstion but i bet you are right and they weigh 1200 Gr not the 2100Gr so they are just over 2 Oz my ultra slug hunter loves them at 100 yards they group in about a 4" area ,i definately would not put them thru any other shotgun barrel especialy an unrifled one, no choke, it has to be full bore because these Arty sims work on deceleration to set them off and they do go off in the barrel rarely with no damage but i couldnt in good concern suggest the use of any lesser built shotgun than an Ultra Slug Hunter it is the most solid single shot shotguns i have ever owned , the barrel is 3 times thicker than any smooth bore barrel, it is built like a tank and i like it .

Edited by belt fed frog