saiga-12 or mp-153

A co-worker who is not just a duck hunter but a duck hunting fanatic got a MP-153 and used it all last season. Functioned 100% all season and even when his buddies with $1100 Benelli SBE's that froze up in the same duck blind. He didn't clean it all season till almost the end of the season after it fell out of the boat into the mud and water. He shot doves and teal with it so far this year. It functioned 100% with no adjustment to the gas system with the light dove loads and 3" loads he used on the teal. He has shot dove loads,3" steel and hevishot for ducks ,and 3-1/2" steel for geese without a single problem.

Now that EAA has come out with the MP-153 synthetic stock model he is thinking about getting one for the really bad weather days. The walnut stock on his really has some nice figure to it.

if you are a hunter looking for a hunting gun , and you mostly hunt ducks , geese or other small game at longer ranges , you may want to go with the MP-153..people on the S-12 forum have said that the long range pattern on an S-12 with a 22in. barrel and full choke is surprisingly good ( i have a 19in. threaded barrel that seems to work pretty well )..but the MP-153 has the longer range advantage by being chambered to accept 3 1/2in. shells and has a longer barrel (26in.)...the automatic bolt catch is a bonus too , too bad we dont have one on our Saigas , YET! ( i have seen a new Saiga model coming out , the S-12 SWAT , that DOES have one :ph34r: ) , considering the automatic bolt catch would be more practically usefull on a mag-fed gun...

The determining factor in ME buying a Saiga was its versatility , as well as its dependability , but , i wasnt nescessarily looking for a hunting gun...the S-12 is a great , affordable , "all around" , shotgun ..although there are better choices for "specific purpose" guns , the Saiga is the 'Jack-of-all-trades' and will do pretty well in most roles...but , if you are duck hunting , a duck hunting gun ( like the MP-153 ) will do better for you...

of course , if someone broke into my house in the middle of the night , im reachin for my S-12 first...if it ends up bein a duck , im fairly confident he will be history anyways. :devil: ...but , if you are hangin around the woods wearing camo and carrying guns , it may be easier to convince someone you are hunting birds if you are carrying the Baikal. :angel: .lol...

Edited by Silverfox