post-3915-1215753052_thumb.jpg

post-3915-1215753033_thumb.jpg

Come on guys! Quit screwin' around and get something fun! Which is cheaper doesn't matter, what matters is "Are we having fun yet?". I took a 650 lb. Waterbuck Antelope at 100 yards with iron sights with the above pistol............if you need, I'll add a pic of it hanging on the wall. I hope that doesn't offend anybody especially since the pistol is based on John Moses Browning's 1911. :) How the heck this ever got onto the Saiga Board is beyond me. (L.A.R. Grizzly .45 Win Mag)

.44mag is the shiza for big game. For man sized animals and target, go .357 unless you can reload .44 cheaply.

Yup, 44 magnum is overkill for humans unless there are a couple of them conveniently lined up in a row. If you might need something to tackle big, nasty creatures that might want to chew on you and can't take a rifle or shotgun the 44 magnum on up is usable. Folks have taken black bears with a .357 but then they've also taken bears with .22 calibers. Possible but not the best approach.

So far as using it against humans... The 44 magnum is downloaded on defensive rounds to service pistol levels. It will have roughly the same power as a 9 mm / 40 S&W / 45 caliber but costs far more per round. As mentioned previously, the .357 can also shoot 38 specials which are pretty minimal in terms of felt recoil or you can go with something spicier if desired. The other thing with both the magnum rounds is that they tend to suffer more in short barrels since the barrel isn't long enough to fully burn the powder and take full advantage of the expanding gases. My 44 magnum has a 7 1/2" barrel and would be a tough carry weapon to conceal! :lolol:

will a desert eagle .357 shoot 38's?

Interesting question. They should chamber but it's hard to say if they have enough pressure to cycle the bolt. I'd guess they do, shouldn't hurt to try them though it might be safest to call them first.

No question for me, I'd go for a 44 if you are set-up to reload, if stuck buying commercial ammo the 357 is a better choice. If I could only have one handgun it would be my Ruger 44mag (4 1/2" Vaquero). It will do anything I could ever ask a handgun to do, and it isn't too awfull to carry concealed, about like a full sized Glock (I would miss my Glock 26 though). If I WAS stuck to only one handgun, I would get a 3" barrel that I could swap back and forth. :devil:

Thanks to Elmer Keith the godfather of handgun hunting the 357mag and 44mag has killed every north american game. I have both the 357mg and the 44mg. I was carring both in bear country at times before i purchased my 338winmag. after that i no longer need a handgun too.

I reload my 38 special with semi wad cutters and my 44 special rounds with semi wad cutters too.(lead) We get a higher performance out of the shorter case with lead rounds. There a faster fpm in the shorter case over the longer cases. I save my 357mg and 44mg cases for jacketed bullets.

As far as auto's go i like the 357SIG round. The 357 SIG 125gr JHP has the same ballastics as the 357mg 125 jhp.

I have heard hospital stories about the 40cal doing wounds like seen in vietnam by one of the vet doctors who was there. I also have seen a guy gut shot with a 1911/45acp 5 times and live. So bigger is better.

Edited by Unknown Poster
Besides more power in the .44 is there any real advantages of one or the other?

You have to be kidding me (us)!.!.!.!....

Okay... The difference is like driving an '84 Toyota Corolla (.357) and then a "69 Hemi 'Cuda" (.44 mag) with blower, nitrious, and great transmission... :rolleyes:

I gave up on .357 mag when I figured out that there was nothing I couldn't do better with .44 Mag than a .357....

To that end, .44 mag is about the top end of what I can handle in a handgun cartridge in terms or power, recoil, "stopping power", reloading components, "carry-a-bility", "contolability" and overall function... your results may vary...

Macbeau sends...

It really depends on what you want out of it. Just about all 44 mags are too large to carry, and there are many 357 mags that you can carry around with ease. If carry isn't part of the equation, and you do your own reloading, then the 44 is probably what I'd lean toward. Part of the reason is that a 44 mag cast lead bullet from wheel weights is still going to be very effective, whereas the same in 357 mag is not so much so.

Then, you should consider the eventual lever gun companion and it's abilities. The 38/357 is a really nice lever gun for everything from deer to squirrels, but the 44 mag lever gun is much better for deer and bears (but probably too much for small game unless you really download and use cast bullets).

Both of them have some real advantages over auto guns in that you can load them hot or mild without worrying about spring rates, and you really don't need to worry much about the bullet profiles and if they will chamber as you do in an auto. I'd call the 3 to 4 inch 357 mag the best all around gun for woods work, and the 44 mag as better if you live where mr griz lives. Personally, I like the fact that I can load 44 mag for my lever gun that can reach out to 200 yards with carbide dies at the rate of about 200 an hour on an inexpensive turret press. The same gun with cast bullets is good to around 150 yards, and the cost to load with wheel weight lead bullets is still very very cheap.

• 1 month later...
post-10790-1219869010_thumb.jpgWell I have both. I first bought a Taurus SS66 6" barrel .357 magnum. Nice shooter once I sighted it in. .38's are almost boring to shoot considering the lack of recoil. Then later I got a Taurus Tracker .44 magnum with a 4" compensated barrel. It's way over kill as a PDW against humans except for the occaisonal Sumo wrestler. They are both fine revolvers and reasonably priced. I guess it depends how you want to use them if you had to make a choice. If you fish in areas where bears might pop in on you, by all means get the .44. Heck they are both fun to own and shoot so I got both. I have not done any hunting but may at a later date. Edited by Berzerker
will a desert eagle .357 shoot 38's?

Interesting question. They should chamber but it's hard to say if they have enough pressure to cycle the bolt. I'd guess they do, shouldn't hurt to try them though it might be safest to call them first.

I had the same question a long time ago and I was sent this link for it, http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIIB4.html

Should still work,havent checked it in a while

I have .357 and .44 mag and have a blast with them both.Ammo is of course the big money spent on them,I use .38 special to play but .357 when I shoot more serious.

I have several Smith & Wesson revolvers including those chambered for .357 and 44. The .357 is a little more controlable and the 38 in easy to shoot and cheap. The 44 barks loud and there is no doubt that it will cause damage to whatever target it comes in contact with. What is the gun to be used for? That makes a huge difference in the decision making. For myself, I would probably be using that type of handgun for home defense and shooting for fun. In that case I prefer the .45 LC. It is a big slower moving round that is also fairly cheap to reload. It is also very easy on the shooter and depending on the load very accurate. I shoot 45LC Smith twice as much as either of the other two. I'll have to admit that even my 45LC has not been getting near as much range time since I brought home my 4" 500 Smith. The 500 is an extremely loud, hard recoiling handgun that conceal carries like a cinder block only heavier. Each trigger pull cost $3.00 and it only hold 5 rounds (thats $15.00 worth) and holsters are almost impossible to find. God I love that gun.

• 1 month later...