Lets talk Drums

Awesome that you are gonna make this happen!

A compact 10-12 round drum will definitely fill a lot of niches.

One thought: The spring tensioner tab on the front... in the interest of making the drum pouch friendly, consider hinging that tab so that it can lay flush. A small spring to keep it quiet and flat would be ideal also... along the lines of the spring/hinge on a AR15 dust cover.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to you Cameron!

Just a thought on these 10 rounders is the compatibility with any future magwells... If it is short like the 5 rounder, it may not have a neck that lends itself to fit into a magwell.

I would be interested to see Cobra's input on this since he has a Magwell design. I haven't played with one yet, so I am not sure if it would still work.

My concern is that these future aftermarket goodies are not all intercompatible!

And FYI, I would definitely be game for a 12 rounder more than a 10 if it was the same length (or close) as a 5 rounder. I like the CAD drawing and commend you on your initiative to bring items like your break, piston, handguards and this to our community. A 12 rounder could be much smaller than the 20 rounder and still give added capacity over what is currently available without being unwieldy. :wub: Awesome! :wub:

Excellent decision! I've got three words for you-compact, compact, compact. Aside from from the guys who want 20 lbs of ammo hanging off their gun, I believe many, if not most, are interested in something that actually could be used for serious social work. The LE/military I've talked to have a problem with the size of the AGP mag. 10 rds in a small package would appeal to competition shooters, LE/military, and zombies hunters alike.

Edited by Paladin
Excellent decision! I've got three words for you-compact, compact, compact. Aside from from the guys who want 20 lbs of ammo hanging off their gun, I believe many, if not most, are interested in something that actually could be used for serious social work. The LE/military I've talked to have a problem with the size of the AGP mag. 10 rds in a small package would appeal to competition shooters, LE/military, and zombies hunters alike.

Paladin got it right, I just can't justify the APG hanging off the gun.

As a few have said, you are a great addition to the forum! I like the way you design,and its obvious your are a very skilled craftsman. Looking forward to

anything you got coming for the 12 and 410. :up:

You would be wise to make that your final statement until shipping time. You have two examples of how can go.

• 3 weeks later...

The thought of a easy loadable 30rd compact drum that can be stored fully loaded and wound up before use to save the spring is brilliant. I would love to see the Chinese drum action updated and applied to Saiga drums. /Golfclap, i'm looking forward to seeing both the 12rd and the 30rd on the market. Everyone should have a 30rd for zombies LOL and a 12rd for back up and fast reloading!!! You should own the drum Saiga market once you have both out for sale why buy a 20rd as big as a 30 if the 30 does not cost that much more. I like the 12rd idea cause its still 11 and easy inserted into a closed bolt witch all around makes it more practical then 10 rd stick mags. Keep the great ideas rolling. Maybe a mag that has a built in last round bolt hold open or triggers the built in one. I do not know, i'm not an inventor. just have ideas^^) Good luck with your designs, i will be watching for updates.

Very very nice CAD work! I wish I could design a 2d square in CAD. lol

Drums are sweet wish there were more of them, I would want 5 30 rounders, the 10's not so interested in but that's just me.

Hope to see these pop up by years end :D

You build a 30 round drum and I would have to buy one.

I am in for the 410.....good luck and waiting patiently :)

p.s. for those interrested but maybe unaware....MAA is now ready the ship their 410 10rd'rs :)

they still have some left, but the "pre-order" price is gone :(

Patrick

I think the 10-12 (preferably 12) round drum is a great idea. If a 30 rounder goes into production, I would buy that, too.

I think the biggest thing being overlooked right now is the .410 drum market. I know, it seems like small potatoes, but between the AGP mags and the MD Arms drums the 12 gauge is getting attention. 10 round .410 mags are still going ffor over a hundred bucks and even the new Surefire mags are $60, and for something no more complicated than an extremely simple rifle magazine. Also, Tromix is developing the .444 Marlin conversion and that is some serious rock and roll.

Last but not least, I think the idea for 2 or 3 round magazine extensions that will attach directly to factory or Taiwan five rounders is fantastic. I am sitting on a half dozen that don't get much range time but would likely take over for the 10 rounders if I could extend them to 8 rounds. And if you can get it done for $25-30 bucks it will be much cheaper than buying an AGP mag and cutting it down for use with Tromix base plates.

Edited by stiletto raggio
  • 2 weeks later...

I would suggest that you consider using torsion springs if possible, as opposed to coil springs. The torsion springs should be able to stay loaded longer without suffering spring fatigue.

I like the feature of the Beta-Mag where the mag can be stored loaded with the springs un-tensioned, then tensioned before use.

• 3 weeks later...

The concept of a magwell for a saiga 12 was genius but unfortunately has yet to become a reality on the market. I expect it will shortly.

I just received MD arms' drum and have to say it is top quality but the mag tower is too short to be modified to work with a drop free mag well.

Please think about us guys who want the magwell idea to become a reality and be able to utilize a drum as well.

Competition is a good thing - maybe you can give the whole magwell idea a thought or two.

One thing that most impresses me about the Saiga platform is the genius it inspires.

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea on a torsion spring 12 round drum. Talk about compact! And no spring fatigue.

I have this to say about magwells and mag design. It seems to me that due to the variences in the Saiga design, the company that produces an array of mags and drums to suit the market and then designs a mag well to suit its own products would have the high cap S-12 market cornered. A last round hold-open device for a few $ more marketed with the mags/drums and magwell would clinch the deal. Mark my words, the first company to produce it all will be THE saiga giant. I understand an outlay of funds for R&D in these stressful political and economic times might be too risky for such an endevor. If this formula had been followed shortly after the AWB had lifted in 2004, we would have a millionaire in our midst. I wish I had had the foresight.

I'd LOVE to see a 30 to 50 rounder for the .410, that would use the 3" shells. All I have for mine is 4, 10 round mags from Russia and when I get to blasting at ferrell cats in the woods, sometimes, 10 rounds with a lots of underbrush, means reloading and chasing the little sucker up the hill into the woods to finish the job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Given the realities of the current political climate, no new hi-cap magazine design is likely to have a long life expectancy. With a new AWB in the works for early in the next administration, shotgun drums of any kind might very well not survive for civilian use - certainly not >10 round designs. I'd be cautious about investing much capital into a new product of this nature unless the LE/Military-only market is much larger than I think.

A compact 12-rd drum (that can readily be blocked down to 10-rd) might pass muster, and I'd certainly love to have several. Of course, I'd love to have a bunch of the 30-rd ones already, hidden in my basement, for use during clandestine fun-fests in remote areas. :angel:

Only time will tell. <sigh>

• 3 weeks later...