Lets talk Drums

I know there are some drums out already, but I'm starting topic in my section, first so I can show some of my drum designs that explore different concepts, and second to get input.

The two drums designs that I've been working with are, a 10 round maginum, which really gives me woody just thinking about looking it in my saiga 12, the other drum is a 30 round that measures only 6 1/2" in diameter.

I really love a good design challenge, and I want to hear everyones thoughts!

Don't get me wrong I know that the drum topic has been touchy for alot people around here, but I do want people to know that I support Mike Davidson getting his MD20 to the market, mainly because look at the other drum manufacture, just about everyone who knows me now, knows how I feel about that crew. Plus the MD20 is a damm fine piece of work!

This should get the ball rolling on brain power.

This Chaos design is my concept for a 10 round maginum, it's O.D. measures 3.9"

Haven't calculated its weight yet!

10rddrum1.jpg

10rddrum.jpg

This Chaos design is a 30 round concept!

30rddrum1.jpg

30rddrum.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool design.

My first reaction was "whats the point?" with 10 round mags in abundance. But then I remembered my last three gun when I had to shoot and change mags prone. A drum like that would be a tad handier.

Have 10 rounds handy without a monopod

Ok, I have to ask,

It looks like a tuna can opener on the front,... is that to Turn so you release spring tension so it's easier to load up? so like as you are loading rounds there is a lever or maybe detachable knob that allows you to turn it as shells are loaded kinda thing?

A 10rd drum for less than 120 bucks would be a winner. Any more and people would decide it isn't worth it.

That 30rd drum looks good, but you'd have to have a follower that runs a spiral track to make it work nicely. A load-and-wind feature would be sweet!

A 10rd drum for less than 120 bucks would be a winner. Any more and people would decide it isn't worth it.

That 30rd drum looks good, but you'd have to have a follower that runs a spiral track to make it work nicely. A load-and-wind feature would be sweet!

Thats right, These is a helical sweep design, your right on target! :super:

These look great! I would definitely be in for a few 10 rounders, according to price. What about a c-mag style drum?

I think thats possibility, for low cost 20 rounder, but with MD20 plastic drum I believe it would be hard to compete, I did push this design concept around a little

in Inventor and found that you really need a decent circumference in order to reduce spring friction, therefore I believe it would be hard to do a C-style mag less than

20 rounds and less than about 6 3/4" O.D. The total up side is just two moving parts

Ok, I have to ask,

It looks like a tuna can opener on the front,... is that to Turn so you release spring tension so it's easier to load up? so like as you are loading rounds there is a lever or maybe detachable knob that allows you to turn it as shells are loaded kinda thing?

Gas Giant your mind works like a finely made watch, you have a great imagination and great way of looking at things. :super:

Is it the same height as a 5 round mag? Will you use a transparent back plate for round count? I think a 30 rounder will be to heavy for any practical purpose, but I'll buy just about anything if I have the cash on hand. In fact I'ld buy it just to piss off the WF guys. :haha:

Is it lrbho compatable and what about a magwell? Do you have ideas on those as well?could the spring wind from the back and act like a round counter?

Here's some weird ideas

How about the back is hinged and you have a speed loader like a revolver? Of course you would have to have the spring on the front with the ability to lock under tension

On another tangent

Heres an odd idea, how about stackable mags. just pull off the base plate and slide an adapter on that holds another 4 or 5 rounds so the poor folk in ban states can buy mags that they could upgrade if the ban fades or use for hunting where there is a capacity max. just add extra springs with each extension, use the same follower. so a 4 rounder could become an 8 and a 12. I'ld buy some of those.

Just some stuff that popped into my head

For the compact 10 round drum, I'd ask some LEO's and soldiers. They're the ones that might pop a massive boner if they saw them. We can all agree that the 10 round magazines are just too huge, the drum might be nice for them, or it might not. I know that I'd like one and the 30 you've drawn up, but I figure high capacity and small size are what LEO's are looking for. But hey, I'm not one of them, so just assume I'm full of shit until you hear from some of them.

Here is my thought, drums are nice but what is needed are mag wells, also another project that would not be a heavy lift for a designer would be Plus 2 or 3 extensions for the Taiwanese mags. Both of these project would sell high volum perhaps not have the profit margin a drum would but it would be a good start because you can roll out both product lines fairly quickly. Then with established reputation and firm suppliers you could venture into more complex projects like this mini-drum.

For the compact 10 round drum, I'd ask some LEO's and soldiers. They're the ones that might pop a massive boner if they saw them. We can all agree that the 10 round magazines are just too huge, the drum might be nice for them, or it might not. I know that I'd like one and the 30 you've drawn up, but I figure high capacity and small size are what LEO's are looking for. But hey, I'm not one of them, so just assume I'm full of shit until you hear from some of them.

I can't speak for the military, but for my usage, a drum may be too bulky for close quarters.

A stick mag shorter than the AGP would be ideal!

I'm in LE and I LOVE the idea of the compact 10 round drum, I'm not real impressed with the APGs so far for duty purposes. I probably wouldn't buy the 30, nothing wrong with the idea, it's just not for me.

I like the pig sticker.

Go for it. :smoke:

ML

Edited by ML Roak

+1 on the hinged back cover and Chinese AK drum type design. Load then wind. Are you thinking of a one size fits all design? (magnums and smaller?)

Looks sound. The standard helical sweep (snail) design is a big plus.

Would also like to see an optional clear backplate.

I would be more interested in the 30.

Hi Cameron,

contacted you thru ebay a couple of times regarding the Chao gas plug and rail. If you are doing a 10-rd drum and 30-rd drum, why not another 20-rd drum also ?

Either way, I think you design kick ass and EXTREMELY aesthetically pleasing / goodlooking design too!

Do you plan on integrating a notch or tab into the molding process of the mag follower for a Last Round Bolt-Hold Open feature such as, for example, Jeric's Auto LRBHO device (aka Warfield Armory's)? That would be a really kick ass feature integrated into your drum design.

Summary:

* last round tab / or notch into mag follower for automatic last round bolt-hold open

* clear or semi-transparent back plate to view round count

* no flashing or sharp edges after production

~ kyle

to get input.

The two drums designs that I've been working with are, a 10 round maginum, which really gives me woody just thinking about looking it in my saiga 12, the other drum is a 30 round that measures only 6 1/2" in diameter.

I really love a good design challenge, and I want to hear everyones thoughts!

I'd buy the 30 rounder and the 10 rounder but would buy the 30 rounder first. My major concerns would be loading on a closed bolt, and compatibility with LRBHO systems and mag wells (if they ever appear).

Thanks for pushing the envelope.

i would buy maybe (1) 10 rounder. but as far as the 30 rounders go, that would be the ticket for me anyway. i would buy more of those. maybe even more if they are like the chicom ak drums. thanks for showing up here. i feel you are the fresh face we needed. :rolleyes:

i would buy maybe (1) 10 rounder. but as far as the 30 rounders go, that would be the ticket for me anyway. i would buy more of those. maybe even more if they are like the chicom ak drums. thanks for showing up here. i feel you are the fresh face we needed. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your kind words!

Well Saiga brothers I have come to a decision, I will be starting development on a small tactical Saiga12 drum, 10 maybe 12 rounder in mid to late August. I can't say exactly how long the project will take since there is, design, prototype, testing, patents, etc. Based off past projects I could be cutting metal and prototyping in as little as 2 months, and if things go well, they could go to production within 5 to 7 months. My design goals are, compact and light, high quality, reliable, tactical looking, and affordable. I will be deigning this on a platform with the 410 and 20 gauge shot guns in mind.