Had few friends over this evening and did some shooting out back from the house. Granted I don't live on a farm, but I live out in the country and have enough property and the lay out is perfect to keep bullets well confined to my property with no neighbors on the back side ro anything....

Anyways.....

Like I said a few buds and I were out back blowing the shit out of old comp monitors and various other targets and sighting in a few new scopes and and red dots on shotguns. We had been at it for about 45 minutes with a shot every 2 mins or so.

We had about 20 guns laid out on the table ranging from pistols to shotguns to various homeland defense rifles.

Seems my new neighbors didn't like the shooting and called the cops. The next thing I know there are 3 deputies in my back yard wondering what the hell is going on. 2 of em were pretty cool about it while the 3rd was being a ginormous dick. he wanted to run serial numbers to make sure the guns aren't stolen. Wanted to tell me i was breaking the law by shooting in my backyard by having bullets leave my property. Which they weren't by the way I have a natural barrier down near the creek bank to stop them.

After about 5 mins of listening to his spiel I politely asked if he had warrant and if he didn't to please leave. the other two deputies just laughed when he stormed off.

So how should I deal with the neighbor? I figure I might shoot out back maybe 3 or 4 times a year. It's perfectly safe. I don't live in the city nor somewhere where it is prohibited. Should I go and try to talk to him and smooth it over or just go fro it and totally piss him off by shooting every weekend?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tact and diplomacy would be good ideas here. Just think of the fact that this person is apparently reacting to what he perceives as a threat to realize how agitated and unreasonable he might become. It might just be he's an asshat who is pissed about the noise but either way, rightly or wrongly, he feels you are intruding on him. I would suggest you attempt to become friendly with him since this will give you the best chance of assuaging his fears and working cooperatively. It will also give him a chance to realize you're not some wild eyed gun toting maniac but hopefully that you are a mature and responsible adult. If you get a chance to show him around your property so that he can see why you feel it is safe to shoot there it would probably also be helpful. Hey, invite him over for the shoot so he can see you and your friends are not one of those ding dongs that get drunk out of their mind and do clever things like fire shotguns braced against your groin...

I have a friend that has run into the same problem, someone built a house not too far from where he has lived for years. They have started complaining about his shooting. (He shoots competition pistol and shoots a LOT) The sheriff decided that he was shooting safely and had a good backstop on his property and told the new people they was nothing he could do.

He is a guy that does not take being called the sheriff on calmly, and I think he is shooting double the amount of ammo just to annoy the neighbor now.

There is no easy answer. I cant shoot outside my house any more because over the years houses and highways have been creeping up around me.

Time to move further back into the woods perhaps? ;)

I can't tell where you are from Knutz. I believe that there is a law here in Texas that it is legal to shoot all you like if you are on 40 acres or more. Check into your local laws and ordinances (if you're in a township or something) a prepare your case. If you are legal, you can inform him of the law and offer him a tour of your shooting facility. If you're not legal then you might visit and make peace. Good luck either way.

Check to be sure you are outside of "public road discharge" laws, if any.

Check caliber lmits, and as 1911 said, limits for those calibers.

Check your POSTED signs have not been moved further onto your property (NYCdiiot and Jerseyite thing)

Verify with your local SHERRIFF (the law in town is FIRST the sherriff, by federal law) and make sure they are AOK.

then BLAZE AWAY.

Ive dealt with this. I hope you are out tomorrow, with more guns, more guys, and more ammo. F that prude.

thanks for the replies guys.

maybe it's just me, but I'm just sick of it. not just the shooting thing but other things too. I'm always the one that is supposed to be civil and talk it out all the while most of the time I never get the same respect.

I know it would be best to try and talk to him first. But as far as I know from talking to a few deputies and a former sheriff I am legal.

Considering that the pecker head didn't even have the decency to at least talk to me about it first. I just feel like letting ti rip fro a few weekends in a row just to piss him off. I mean it ain't like I'm not open to reason or anything. If the dude has problems with the noise or something I'd try and work with him while still retaining my rights. You know a little give and take from both sides.

I'm just pissed about how he handled right now.

negative. be a dick. through and through. they only seem to understand hard lining.

I'm so tempted to trust me. got a few thousand rounds I picked up at hte last gun show that need shootin too. :devil:

I'll sleep on it tonight and see if I've calmed down by the morning.

Seems the posts above kind of sum up your options. I've had simular experiences before.

What seemed to work best with me, is to welcome new neighbors first thing when they move in and try to build a sort of friendship. I would let them know that sometimes I do some shootin at my place and give them an invite.

The big thing in the state where I live is people will use the noise as a reason to complain. Sounds like you were there first, so that's something they should consider, hence part of the reason to let them know that is something that already takes place there long before they moved in.

I'm wondering if they moved there from the city?

I've seen a lot of people move into an apartment for the first time after living their whole life in a house. They get mad about any sound they hear from neighbors, but usually make the most noise them selves...... I've had to tell folks before that maybe they moved to the wrong place if they don't like the way things are there, after trying to reason failed.:rolleyes:

I normally would recommend talking to the neighbor, but being as they didn't give you that courtesy, and just called the cops on you as a first resort; I say screw 'em. I'm not a dick-headed neighbor either, but I figure if someone can't come talk to me about something I'm doing, that they don't like, then why should I extend that to them after they call the cops on me?

Sounds like you're good to go as far as the police are concerned, so keep shootin'. That's my .02.

Tact and diplomacy would be good ideas here. Just think of the fact that this person is apparently reacting to what he perceives as a threat to realize how agitated and unreasonable he might become. It might just be he's an asshat who is pissed about the noise but either way, rightly or wrongly, he feels you are intruding on him. I would suggest you attempt to become friendly with him since this will give you the best chance of assuaging his fears and working cooperatively. It will also give him a chance to realize you're not some wild eyed gun toting maniac but hopefully that you are a mature and responsible adult. If you get a chance to show him around your property so that he can see why you feel it is safe to shoot there it would probably also be helpful. Hey, invite him over for the shoot so he can see you and your friends are not one of those ding dongs that get drunk out of their mind and do clever things like fire shotguns braced against your groin...

Knutz: Glocker's advice is, in my opinion, sound. If I did not like guns, I think I would be hesitant to visit a house where people are shooting. In today's world, you just do not know what you would be getting into by doing so. I think I would type up a letter telling them that you plan on shooting X number of times per year and that you have a natural berm or whatever to stop all rounds. Invite them over to see where you shoot. Also, maybe tell them a bit about yourself if you think that will make them feel more comfortable about you. Offer to not fire on a certain day if they are having a party or company, if they give you a weeks notice, something like this to really show what a reasonable guy you are.

Then, so long as you are in compliance with local law, you have gone out of you way to accommodate them. I like the idea of the letter because should they ever try some civil action (injunction, nuisance, whatever) you can pull out your copy and show the judge what a nice and reasonable guy you are. Remember, they can sue you for a civil action for almost anything, even if you are otherwise in compliance with the firearms laws, so documents your efforts to be "nice and civil" and move on. Does this put a burden on you? Of course, but that is today's world.

If you choose the "blast away" option first, you will miss a chance to try and convert them or at least make peace with them.

Good luck,

WJ

I normally would recommend talking to the neighbor, but being as they didn't give you that courtesy, and just called the cops on you as a first resort; I say screw 'em. I'm not a dick-headed neighbor either, but I figure if someone can't come talk to me about something I'm doing, that they don't like, then why should I extend that to them after they call the cops on me?

Sounds like you're good to go as far as the police are concerned, so keep shootin'. That's my .02.

+1

I have a load of stories of my own, involving new NYCidiot neighbors, New Jerseyites using our creek as a national forest, Motorcycle clubs using our road as the grand prix, moved posted signs and front doors, complainers, cop callers, the dethroned governor of NY (he was my neighbor), the state troopers, the county sheriff, the DEC, etc.

I think I will reserve them, as I dont feel like being told im exagerrating, and some of it could indeed be considered menacing behavior at the least.

I won every incident, but look at who moved! So I guess it was all for naught in the end.

Dont take SHIT from liberal neighbors. They will only get worse, in my experience. I stopped playing the nice guy a long time ago.

The more money people have, in general, the more self-rightious they get, and the further they move from morales, politeness, and ideals of normal life. It isnt the rule, but its damn near close to it, from my experience.

Hell, theres another good one - there was the time when the cidiots took over the town board, changed zoning, had thier investments subdivided and thier contracting buddies that paid them, subdivided thier land into smaller lots, and then my father couldnt put an extension on his own house, because they changed the zoning back to what it was before, already.

Ah then there was the old fart that thought he owned the air, and the animal warden that almost crapped themselves. There was (a long time previous to that) ANOTHER animal control officer that would not even drive past the house I grew up at. both incidents wound up involving a firearm. both incidents I was in the right, as well.

If you let your neighbors push you around, you are going to regret it. But I am sure you are a far FAR nicer person than I. Just be sure to not screw up, if you go that route.

I have had a very colorful and eventful life, in my short 35 years. One of my traits is impatience, which extends into intolerance for other people telling me what they THINK I should do, or what THEY THINK is right or wrong.

shoot me a msg, Ill lay a few of my experiences on you. I have a LOT of experience with shithead neighbors growing up in the "weekend NYC home" area. Like I said, they all won though, because I am in Florida now. But it wasnt because I was loud, shooting my guns, my dog barking at his toy, or because I never put my animals on a leash.

My suggestion? for real? shoot 3-4 times a WEEK, let him call the cops on you some more, then file harrassment charges on him.

That is what makes this board interesting. You have received advice which goes both ways. Neither is right, neither is wrong. It is a tough situation for you because you have rights and feelings, and so do your neighbors.

I will add that I do not think that they should have called the police on you without speaking to you first. But, maybe they were afraid. We are a gun forum, we accept guns. Some people do not.

Good luck.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

I would have to agree with WarriorJudge and Glocker. Try to make peace somehow first and maybe you'll get some new people interested in the sport. Getting into a pissing contest with your neighbor and making life-long enemies of them will just become a nuisance in the long run. There's probably a county ordinance against noise at least and before you know it, you'll have a fine to pay.

I would have to agree with WarriorJudge and Glocker. Try to make peace somehow first and maybe you'll get some new people interested in the sport. Getting into a pissing contest with your neighbor and making life-long enemies of them will just become a nuisance in the long run. There's probably a county ordinance against noise at least and before you know it, you'll have a fine to pay.

I recently moved out to the country but still confined within a little subdivision. I have plenty of land behind my house to shoot IF I had a good berm built. Then one morning I heard a bunch of shots being fired from across the street so I got curious and walked over there and I guess they thought I was going to be the dick because they started taking there guns inside. When I sayed I collected guns and was looking at my yard as a possible range they said just come over and have fun anytime. The layout is awesome you shoot from the top of the yard across a pond into a hill about 20 feet tall. My neighbor said everyone else was cool with it and the one who wasn't cool moved out a couple months ago.

I would make shire that you are 100% legal, and also keep a diary of you're neighbors actions. Calling the cops on you for engaging in LEGAL activity is harassment. In most places if you can prove a history of harassment you can get an injunction, which makes further harassment a criminal offense.

I would NOT be nice, I WOULD talk to them,and explain that YOU were here first, and they are the ones bringing the neighborhood down. If they don't like the way thing are done in your neck of the woods, they can move out.

Knutz,

aren't we from the same State? I thought so anyway. Just be sure you're not in violation of any county ordinance, including noise ordinances. It also bolsters your argument that the Sheriff's Department has visited the property already and found you in compliance, or at least not in violation of any law. Just be sure you shoot at reasonable times of day.

On the neighbor issue, I agree with most of the above posts, which very well explain your choices. i would visit the neighbor and at least attempt to talk to him/her. What the Judge said above, they may have been hesitant to come over with you shooting, is a real possibility. give 'em another chance before you schedule a every saturday shoot out and invite the whole forum and we really piss 'em off.

Wish I had your backyard. I have gun friendly neighbors, but folks live too close to shoot at my house, although occasionally I'll knock off a few rounds off the back deck into the pond.

Good Luck!! and remember to make efforts to let the local LEO's know you're trying to comply with all laws while still exercising your rights.

Edited by rangerdavid

Try to make peace first. Maybe have a party (outside) and invite them over. If that doesn't work, buy some Tannerite and have some REAL fun! I'm lucky here. All my neighbors are cool. I can shoot ANYTHING and it's OK, including Tannerite.

I agree with some of the others in talking with the neighbor but also they started the tension by calling the cops.

Be nice until it's time to not be nice and then take donations for ammo to shoot 24/7. Or suggest the neighbor move their candy ass back to the city. :killer:

1+ on the Tannerite just one and only one but a BIG one :devil: MUW HAHAHAHAHA ha ha ha ha ha

then negotiate with the neighbor telling him if he wishes it can esclate even bigger or he can leave you alone and you will just shoot and he can come over and learn how too

the BIG stick and carrot approach

Kill 'em with kindness. Invite them over for beer and barbecue, show them around your place, being sure to point out the natural barriers, etc. Invite them to join you in shooting the shit out of some stuff, and tell them they're welcome to bring their own guns if they'd like to come shoot sometime. Oftentimes, what pisses people off is the feeling that they weren't even consulted (even about stuff that is none of their business!); if they know you're a safe shooter and that THEY are safer with you around, and no hard feelings about them calling the cops, it might help defuse the whole situation pretty quickly.

And if it doesn't, just make damned sure that you AREN'T breaking any laws, so every time they call the cops, you'll be in the clear. The cops will eventually tell the neighbors to eff off if this is the case... :)

Mike

Oh, one other thing - invite the sheriffs and cops to come shoot on your property as well! They probably won't take you up on it, but they'll sure think you're a much nicer person for offering... and it can't hurt to have them on your side in all this. :)

I've had a few issues with loud neighbors - not guns, but music - and I've tried the nice-guy approach first. One neighbor was blasting his car stereo until almost 2am. I got out of bed (it woke me from a sound sleep), walked over in my robe, and politely asked him if he could keep it down a bit, since I had to be up at 5am for work. He was very nice, apologetic, and came by the next evening to apologize again. I told him the loud music doesn't really bother me, but if he could maybe keep it down after about midnight, that'd be great. He was cool about it, and we've gotten along well ever since.

Another neighbor didn't react the same way. He wanted to fight me about it, and told me if I had a problem, "call the fuckin' cops about it." I politely told him that in this neighborhood, we tend to diall 9-1-1 only AFTER the problem is solved, so they can come clean up the mess. They kept up the bullshit and partying, and fighting in their front yard at all hours of the night, so I took them up on their offer and called the cops. Wonder of wonders, they were smoking a joint in the driveway when the cops pulled up, so they all got to go to jail... They moved out shortly afterwards. Boy, I don't miss them. ;)

So it can go either way, but it's worth a try to play nice first. Sometimes all you'll get is a finger in your face for your troubles, but at least you'll come away with the knowledge that you were the better man for trying.

Mike

So you peace loving guys out there, let me ask you how you would handle this -

Walked up into the woods to the back of my father's property in NY one day, there are the new cidiots posted signs a good 30 feet on OUR side of the rock wall that clearly divides the property, which is clearly posted by us. Legal posted signs, as in name and address on them.

in what manner would you return their signs?

One of the guys over the mountain that I know had these same people actually MOVE his signs 30 feet from his property line, and walk up to the house to let him know.

what would you do?

Im guessing it wouldnt be to throw a hammer off the roof at the people and threaten to kill them if they did not put the signs back in place where they were and do it before you got down off the roof to shoot the tresspassers defacing your property?

or would it be taking the sign down, taking your saiga12 and 5 rounds of 00 buck to it, then driving over the mountain to the house on the sign, and jamming it in their fuckin door, and leaving a nice burnout in their driveway?

Im guessing there are people out there that would walk up to the house, and nicely explain to these people that they are committing two felonies and a misdermeanor and that it was a simple understanding, right?

well, I am not one of them, nor do I know anyone that is.....the types I usually associate with or have known, dont play around when it comes to land rights.

I really would like to know what you peaceful minded guys think you would do in that situation. Sorry to sound rude, but I have NEVER heard of someone being nice over property and its use, when they own it.

Oh, one other thing - invite the sheriffs and cops to come shoot on your property as well! They probably won't take you up on it, but they'll sure think you're a much nicer person for offering... and it can't hurt to have them on your side in all this. :)

I've had a few issues with loud neighbors - not guns, but music - and I've tried the nice-guy approach first. One neighbor was blasting his car stereo until almost 2am. I got out of bed (it woke me from a sound sleep), walked over in my robe, and politely asked him if he could keep it down a bit, since I had to be up at 5am for work. He was very nice, apologetic, and came by the next evening to apologize again. I told him the loud music doesn't really bother me, but if he could maybe keep it down after about midnight, that'd be great. He was cool about it, and we've gotten along well ever since.

Another neighbor didn't react the same way. He wanted to fight me about it, and told me if I had a problem, "call the fuckin' cops about it." I politely told him that in this neighborhood, we tend to diall 9-1-1 only AFTER the problem is solved, so they can come clean up the mess. They kept up the bullshit and partying, and fighting in their front yard at all hours of the night, so I took them up on their offer and called the cops. Wonder of wonders, they were smoking a joint in the driveway when the cops pulled up, so they all got to go to jail... They moved out shortly afterwards. Boy, I don't miss them. ;)

So it can go either way, but it's worth a try to play nice first. Sometimes all you'll get is a finger in your face for your troubles, but at least you'll come away with the knowledge that you were the better man for trying.

Mike

Wisdom sez: This is prefered method of how to handle this situation. This situation shows an ongoing intellectual process and problem solving skills that interdict and abate a potentially growing and nasty problem. It also demonstrates dipolmacy skills and a degree of socialization that is becoming rare in this country.

negative. be a dick. through and through. they only seem to understand hard lining.

This is the Uber-Asshat approach [u/]and shows a a lack of problem solving skills, a juvenile tendency towards violence and an unwillingness to get along with others (ie: anti-social behavior). As one former infamous member here once said, "he is a mouth-breathing, fuck-tard"...

If you want to stay out of jail and out of the courts and have the cops off your back, seem like the greatest guy in the world, apply the first approach. If you want to be hated and loathed by your neighbors, have ordnances passed in your name, be labled a "redneck / racist / extremist/ gun nut" (take your pick of any 2) - have stories written about you in the local newspaper and face possible criminal or civil judicial activities... by all means follow the second advice...

Macbeau sendith...