If you choose the "blast away" option first, you will miss a chance to try and convert them or at least make peace with them.

Good luck,

WJ

Not only that, but you said that you had a deputy who was a, "ginormous dick." You never know if he is going to be the one taking the call next time. It stinks that the burden is on you but as WJudge said civil court can be a hell of a ride.

I have had neighbors like this and based on that experience what might work for you is to document the events, inform the cooperative deputy who was on your property earlier that you are going to be writing a polite letter to your neighbor, send the letter, make a phone call or house visit to the neighbor (be careful that you do not cross the line to harassment though) and then enjoy your founding-fathers-given rights!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you peace loving guys out there, let me ask you how you would handle this -

Walked up into the woods to the back of my father's property in NY one day, there are the new cidiots posted signs a good 30 feet on OUR side of the rock wall that clearly divides the property, which is clearly posted by us. Legal posted signs, as in name and address on them.

in what manner would you return their signs?

One of the guys over the mountain that I know had these same people actually MOVE his signs 30 feet from his property line, and walk up to the house to let him know.

what would you do?

Im guessing it wouldnt be to throw a hammer off the roof at the people and threaten to kill them if they did not put the signs back in place where they were and do it before you got down off the roof to shoot the tresspassers defacing your property?

or would it be taking the sign down, taking your saiga12 and 5 rounds of 00 buck to it, then driving over the mountain to the house on the sign, and jamming it in their fuckin door, and leaving a nice burnout in their driveway?

Im guessing there are people out there that would walk up to the house, and nicely explain to these people that they are committing two felonies and a misdermeanor and that it was a simple understanding, right?

well, I am not one of them, nor do I know anyone that is.....the types I usually associate with or have known, dont play around when it comes to land rights.

I really would like to know what you peaceful minded guys think you would do in that situation. Sorry to sound rude, but I have NEVER heard of someone being nice over property and its use, when they own it.

Bvamp:

I *AM* a peace-loving guy, but that doesn't mean I have to put up with that type of shit that your neighbors tried. Like Swayze said (Roadhouse): "Be nice... until it's time to NOT be nice." Someone starts coming onto MY property, encroaching on it with THEIR bullshit, and there are going to be more than words flying.

And yes, somebody would probably get a bunch of bullet-riddled signage jammed down their throats!

I *try* the nice way first, but I have a temper, and I am a rather large mammal (6'8", 260 lbs). And like the Hulk, you wouldn't want to see me angry. :)

My first instinct with the car-stereo guys was to go over, rip the stereo out of the dash, and smash it into the guy's face. But I cooled off, put on my "diplomat hat", and talked to him first, and that was the end of that situation.

Mike

Damn... even more replies. ... Again I must say thanks guys...

I had to work all day today and since I got home around 6 he hasn't been home. I figure I'll try and talk to him tomorrow if possible. At least find out what kind of person I am dealing with.

But let me say again... it ain't like I am operating a shooting range out back or anything. I or a few friends may shoot 3 or 4 times a year back there. most of the time it is just checking our scopes on the hunting rifles before the deer or pig season starts.

the neighbors have lived there for about 2 months and I have been here for about 12 years. All my other neighbors are OK with it and even shoot in the respective back yards every now and again. Besides where we shoot is at least 200-250 yards from his house or more seperated by trees and such.

rangerdavid,

yeah I'm in NC. I'll try and get a more distinct answer but so far as I know I'm legal unless my bullets leave my property and the noise is over with by 6 PM.

jeff

Edited by knutz
This is the Uber-Asshat approach and shows a a lack of problem solving skills, a juvenile tendency towards violence and an unwillingness to get along with others (ie: anti-social behavior). As one former infamous member here once said, "he is a mouth-breathing, fuck-tard"...

Macbeau sendith...

Its too bad neither incident involved me, short of spotting the sign, in the one case. I will not mention what I, personally would have done in either case.

BVamp sends....

....assumptions are only that - assumptions. You assume WAY too much, there, my #2 fan. I dont mind you thinking what you prefer to think. That is part of the beauty of it -

For the record, I always try to work things out in a nice manner. It is when crossed, that I personally, turn nasty. I apologize for my outspoken opinions on this subject. I prefer to live where I dont HAVE neighbors within 1/2 a mile of me or more. If I do, I will know them all in due time, one way or another.....

jeff - yes, sundown, at the shortest time of year. that is the TECHNICAL definition, the last time I read it. It is funny when the troopers show up, two portable workbenches (sets of bifold doors on saw horses) are filled with 5 local's hardware, and we didnt even see them (they said) for almost a minute standing at the end of the driveway. Its funny, there was no report made, and the one guy came back the next day to shoot with us, as he was one of my neighbors too....as was the sheriff that was one of the 5 guys shooting that day.

always try to get along with the neighbors. shoot me a pm, Ill tell you the incident with the guy that thought he owned the air. he was the worst neighbor I think I ever had, and I will not post the story on the internet.

Wow...nothing like a NYer trying to tell a North Carolinian what's right, and what ain't right, about shooting guns on his own land.

Ummm ....for your information Mr., in NC we do it a lot different. When we want something, we try and be diplomatic about it and even NICE....till it's time to yep....NOT BE NICE. (see my sig line) We don't FORCE our opinions and ways on others, just because we have a right to. Ya know what? First we give our neighbors a chance. Chances are bro, those cop calling, gun fearing, non communicating neighbors of yours are from a big city like NYC. (NO OFFENSE meant to any NYers out there.) They moved down here thinking everything was going to be like up there, and they are still finding new ways to hate the region and it's people, instead of just trying to blend in.

Since I have actually been in this exact situation...IN THIS STATE...I feel that I should offer my 2 cents.

I have been shooting all kinds of guns on my property, that is just barely outside the City limits, for 13 years now. The man that lived in my house before me was a gun dealer. He offered to let his customers try out their new pistols and such, right here in the back yard. So the neighbors were already sort of "conditioned" by the time I even moved here. This was a good thing because a week later my buddies and I got together and exercised our constitutional rights by going through about 500 rds with our SKS's and shooting all we had with a couple of .45's and my .357. It was great to finally live somewhere that we could shoot right in the back yard.

But ya know what we did first? We walked over and met the new neighbors and asked them if they might want to join us for some shooting later. They declined, but they knew what was up and had no reason to get on the horn to the cops.

That was the very first time I shot here.

The only time I ever had trouble was one day when we had about ten guns on a card table on the deck, and were having the grandest time shooting them all afternoon. Then after we were done and it started to get a little dark, another good friend who couldn't make it earlier, called and said he had just bought his first 12 ga pump. He asked me if we were still shooting, he wanted to try it out, and I told him it was a little late by then, we had already been shooting all day.

Well he was coming over anyway to show me his new gun, and he begged when he got here if he could just try it out once. Me being the overly hospitable guy I am, I let him empty one tube out there in the dark. It was a Wed. night about 9:PM.

Well I don't know which neighbor it was, but the Sheriff's dept. was here in about 5 minutes. I was very apologetic to the officers and told them we would not do that any more after dark. I was informed that it didn't matter whether it was light or dark, we were not to be discharging firearms within 1000 feet of a residence or local road.

So now we only shoot down at the creek, which is legally far enough away from the local houses and roads.

Recently though, the land next door that I normally shoot on (with written permission), was purchased by some people from out of state...a guy and his Mom. They built a house on it and it is a lot closer than I wish it was. I was nervous that maybe they would freak next time they were sitting around on a Sunday afternoon, and heard a 30rd AK mag get emptied by the creek, or a 20rd 12 ga drum.

I didn't just go blazing away with a FU attitude though...no, I went over and talked to them and explained that they would be hearing lots of loud noise back there...that we had done it for A LONG TIME and the other neighbor with adjoining property, could attest to that. It also helped that I had helped save this other neighbor's life once, when he got his toes blown off vacuuming his pool and touched the 14' alum. pole to an overhead powerline...

They were very cool once I explained to them that I was shooting only in a safe direction and into a clay backstop. I offered to let them come over sometime we were shooting, and try one of the guns out themselves. They were all good with everything after that.

Communication is KEY! Diplomacy and friendship are too.

You can't just blast away and say "fuck you I have a right cause the cops told me so".

That is no way to make long lasting friend out of the guy you are gonna have to live next to. Geez...what if he decided it would be cool to crank up some Pavarotti to 11+, any time he felt like it...just to annoy the piss outa you?

What's gonna happen when there's an ice storm or hurricane, and you need them for something? Will they be there for you?

Shoving our 2A rights down the throats of people who haven't had the good fortune to be brought up around guns, is the WORST thing we could possibly do...just like making enemies with your neighbor based on a bad decision he or she may have made.

That's what I think anyhow.

:smoke:

Shoving our 2A rights down the throats of people who haven't had the good fortune to be brought up around guns, is the WORST thing we could possibly do...

:smoke:

no offense, but an actualy question, how would you know? Ive lived around the USA. where have you been, and who have you lived with, and seen local standards of?

Im just not sure Im following you.....

My rights are MY RIGHTS. I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THEM, OR BEING NICE WHEN YOU VIOLATE THEM. I DO NOT ASK YOU TO APPROVE OF ANY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

then again, I am the one who left home, and it was taken by "them", so I am weak, anyhow. ah well. I seen the whole circle of it. \

come try to move my posted signs further into my property line at night. I dare ya. Im not being an ass, Im not being aggresive, but I WILL not have you take advantage of me or some dreamed up ignorance, that you might think I have, from your end.

my land? is my land. not yours. if I put signs up, you best have your final arrangements made, if *I* catch you moving my property line, and posting your own.

you miss the point, WE WERE BEING NICE.

I have no "give" or "flex" in some areas, this being one of them. Guns are another. I am often misinterpreted for it, and repeatedly.

Excuse me, I'm wrong I guess.... I thought this thread was about how to handle your neighbors, and your shooting of guns on your property, without them trippin' out and calling the law.

I forgot it was really about you, and people moving your signs around.

here, Ill make a new post.

If you did a couple of the things above, you would not want me as your neighbor.

And if you threatened me like that one guy did? or how about the one female animal control officer that I ejected by force from the property?

you better have some sand in your pants.

I know my rights. I dont CARE FOR OPINION when it comes to them.

I am out of this discussion. It is making me go to a place I do not enjoy, and I just want to be happy these days. sorry for the inconvenience.

you know my feelings onthe subject. dont put a gun to his head, but surely let them off all day next weekend. FORCE them to come to YOU.

screw this bullshit LETS MAKE PEACE WITH THE LIBERAL shit

gimme a break already. make them come to YOU. I dont subscribe to my American rights being violated. I dont care what you do. you isnt the point.

(by the way, I CAN IN FACT shoot your ass dead anywhere I have ever lived under certain terms, and will reluctantly do so)

anyway, bye. I have said some of my peace.

am sure my #1 las vegas gun dealer friend "caspian with the range isnt it" will be around.

ya''ll have fun

stay off my land, btw. it is posted and obvious. you only get one warning from my kind. it isnt a threat, its a right.

I agree with a lot of stuff said in this thread, even though some of it is contradicting.

My main gripe in the OP's situation is that the new neighbor decided to call the cops as a first resort. That would piss me off.

I'm all for making friends with neighbors, new and old. I have great relations with my neighbors (no shooting involved though, I'm not blessed with "country life" :( ). But when someone (who is new to the neighborhood) decides to call the police on someone who has already been living there, as a first resort, it kinda makes me lose interest in going out of my way to welcome them with open arms and let them know everything's legit and safe in what I'm doing. That's just me though, YMMV.

"compromise, hell! ....If freedom is right and tyranny wrong,why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered away a slice at a time?"

From a 1959 editorial by Jesse Helms, as quoted by the AP in his obit.

Jesse was a great man. God rest his soul...

I believe in my freedom as much as anyone. That said, how smart is it to make an enemy forever out a neighbor that you might actually be able to turn into someone who enjoys firearms and would be happy to hear those sounds instead of pissed off that you are rubbing their liberal noses in shit every time you touch off a round.

I have had to deal with lots of different neighbors who have come and gone over the years. I have shot my guns anytime I wanted...night or day...through all of their stays here in my locality. I have had the cops called a few times. I have even had the cops show up at my door when the noise actually came from somewhere else. Every time I was respectful to the officers and we talked about exactly what was and was not legal here, and they had no problem with me by the time they left.

Being within your legal rights has nothing what so ever to do, with getting along with a neighbor who does not like gunfire near his or her home. Diplomacy is of the utmost importance FIRST...before you may have to tell the old bag to can it because you are going to do it anyway, within your rights, any fucking time you please. Is it not better to work out some kind of agreement and just be a courteous neighbor like you would want to be treated with courtesy yourself.

First amendment rights are one thing..and nobody is stepping on mine for sure...but getting along with your fellow man and laying out the groundwork that will keep the poor local officers from having to constantly pay you a visit...well that's just a little more important in the grand scheme of things. Ain't nobody steppin' on my rights when it comes down to it...but I'll be damned if I want to live next door to some complainer who looks for a chance to call the police every single time they think they need to. I would rather get along with that person and know that I can count on them as much as they know they can count on me...and my arsenal....when the chips are down.

I believe in my freedom as much as anyone. That said, how smart is it to make an enemy forever out a neighbor that you might actually be able to turn into someone who enjoys firearms and would be happy to hear those sounds instead of pissed off that you are rubbing their liberal noses in shit every time you touch off a round.

I agree with what you're saying here. One of the things which hasn't been mentioned so far is the differences in behaviors between country and city dwellers. When I lived in the country we used to go shooting all the time and no one really cared. OTOH, now that I live in a more urban setting any shots going off is a much different thing. If this person has not lived in the country they may just have the city dwellers reactions to gun shots. Only way to find out is by talking to them...

After being called by a customer and having to go into the shop and work most of the day I finally got a chance to walk over to the neighbor's this evening.

Talk about a dick. Dude got all defensive as soon as his wife called him to the door. I told her who i was and why I was there. Course I know she recognized me. Even though we have never met they have seen me out in the yard.

Anyways... He just said how unsafe it was and how the noise bothered him. I tried to tell him it ain't like I'm back there shooting every weekend or anything. Even told him I don't wanna be an ass, so it ain't like if I see he has lots of company over I'll just wait till another time to do my shooting etc etc etc....

After about 10 minutes of trying totalk to him I just gave up. Told him I was will within the law to shoot there and while I would try to be considerate I would under no circumstance stop shooting on my property.

The wife was trying to be nice and at least to me seemed ashamed by the way he was acting.

Oh well... at least I tried.

+1, so long as you held out the olive branch you've done your part. His right to swing his fist ends at the end of your nose even though he seems confused about that. Now it's time to go ahead with legally exercising your rights! I wouldn't be obnoxious about it, just do what you normally would so far as shooting activity. I would also make durn sure of all the regulations he can use against you, make sure you are not violating them and then proceed.

Well good for you for being the "bigger man", and going above and beyond what some would have done. Kinda shitty that he had a bad attitude about it, but hey, you tried. So now that the whole "nice neighbor" attempt failed........................

Saiga Shoot-Out at Knutz' House!!!!!!!

Bring lots of ammo!

Shooting will start at 9PM and go until 5AM

After being called by a customer and having to go into the shop and work most of the day I finally got a chance to walk over to the neighbor's this evening.

Talk about a dick. Dude got all defensive as soon as his wife called him to the door. I told her who i was and why I was there. Course I know she recognized me. Even though we have never met they have seen me out in the yard.

Anyways... He just said how unsafe it was and how the noise bothered him. I tried to tell him it ain't like I'm back there shooting every weekend or anything. Even told him I don't wanna be an ass, so it ain't like if I see he has lots of company over I'll just wait till another time to do my shooting etc etc etc....

After about 10 minutes of trying totalk to him I just gave up. Told him I was will within the law to shoot there and while I would try to be considerate I would under no circumstance stop shooting on my property.

The wife was trying to be nice and at least to me seemed ashamed by the way he was acting.

Sounds like what I would have done, and also exactly what I had expected to hear on your efforts with the neighbor.

Whens the party? :)

I've had the same problem shooting class 3 firearms in my back yard and at a buddys range,Once they figure out I'm all legal,I start screwing with the cops alittle saying things like "You know were actually pretty restrained here, Normally we don't wear clothing when we do this." Or "I know it seems excessive officer But we have a serious grondhog problem here" Get some tannerite and some machinegun buddys to come over, Got to do what you can to run the liberals out..

My main gripe in the OP's situation is that the new neighbor decided to call the cops as a first resort. That would piss me off.

....that is the part the irked me. Not O.K. with me.

believe you me, I have dealt with MANY MANY people like that, from where I am from.

Cobra, maybe you should delete my responses to you, when you delete your arguement with me.

I dont mind discussing things now. That is why I left the staff, man. So that we might get along better. LOL

Edited by Makc

Now, invite the two cool cops, your friends, and all the neighbors over to shoot. Make a day of it. Burgers and dogs, lots of cool targets, etc. BIG party. Lots of shooting. Hell if you're lucky they'll come over in the cruiser. That will serve 2 purposes. 1. It lets the cops know you're cool, and you'll make a couple new friends. 2. It'll REALLY piss off the snotty neighbor when he realizes that the cops are FIRMLY on YOUR side!

Yup. Thats the one, right there! Or get the local FD, or DEC, or whoever to show up. Tell them all to stop and grab a bite over the day, and make sure you have a ton of food.

Ask one to go GET your neighbor and bring them down to talk.

You get those "ones" though. Ive seen a COUPLE of em. not good. Only one thing works with those. Inconsiderate everything, within the law. UNTIL they finally come down themselves and yell at you. Then have a beer with them.

sorry for my edit:

The one thing I learned about liberals, even when they wont let you talk, or when you are always wrong, is they WILL talk, in a peaceful tone. Guarantee it.

Sorry to hear he had to be a dick about it. :( That really sucks. YOU know you're well within your rights, but it sounds like he's going to go out of his way to be a pain in your ass.

I still say you should invite him over again, next time you're going to be shooting, just to let him know that you're a better neighbor than he is.

And who knows? Maybe he'll think on it and realize that he's been an ass... Don't hold your breath on that one, though. :(

Sorry to hear he had to be a dick about it. :( That really sucks. YOU know you're well within your rights, but it sounds like he's going to go out of his way to be a pain in your ass.

I still say you should invite him over again, next time you're going to be shooting, just to let him know that you're a better neighbor than he is.

And who knows? Maybe he'll think on it and realize that he's been an ass... Don't hold your breath on that one, though. :(

Exactly, kill him with kindness. The more you do that, the more he looks like a complete ass. I bet his wife will even give him shit for it.;)