Have to show respect to the mill :)

2i0ocl.jpg

pics of the piece:

n6mx2.jpg

fwr6vo.jpg

29n6np0.jpg

148ord2.jpg

160u0bp.jpg

Obviously needs some filing and paint. Going to use the same high heat engine paint from auto zone. Still have some left over from my conversion. Going to take it to the range before I paint it. Have to make sure it holds it secure enough to the barrel(already was hitting it with a bat and its fine :D ). The OD of the barrel at the mount point is 0.574" +/- 0.002". Luckily a 9/16" drill bit is right under that. The hole it left was too small to get the mount over the barrel at all. Filed w/ a rat tail, tried to fit, filed, tried, filied, tried, etc... until it barely could fit. Was very fun making that piece. Haven't milled anything in a long time. Very glad I got that from harbor freight.

• Like 4

WOW! I will tell ya what, everytime that I look at new topics on this board I find something that really impresses me. This is no exception. I would love to see a pic from behind the rear sight, through the scope and with the front sight up. How is the co-witness on there? Great job james.

My suggestion...since you have the mill and probably have a jig all set up you should consider becoming a contributor to the board and selling a few of these. :D

WOW! I will tell ya what, everytime that I look at new topics on this board I find something that really impresses me. This is no exception. I would love to see a pic from behind the rear sight, through the scope and with the front sight up. How is the co-witness on there? Great job james.

My suggestion...since you have the mill and probably have a jig all set up you should consider becoming a contributor to the board and selling a few of these. :D

omg. i think i just creamed myself. are you going to be producing those at any time? or was this a one time affair. actually answer that in a pm. wouldn't want the mods to think we're fishing for your business without you having a business subscription

:)

2a6kqo8.jpg

hard to get it to have the dot and post in focus. not sure what it focused on there since the dot is huge.

Wish I had more time to make stuff like this. That one piece took about 15 work hours.

15 well spent hours if I may say so.

Was thinking of the same thing Acer. I recessed them a little before I drilled the mounting hole but was paranoid about making that cut too close to where the mounting hole would be. Before I do that any more I need to get some other socket cap screws. Only ones I have are those chromed ones. Obviously dont want to use those :) Will do some searching on mcmaster for some black ones and try to get those lower profile.

Thanks for all the comments guys, appreciate it.

:)

2a6kqo8.jpg

hard to get it to have the dot and post in focus. not sure what it focused on there since the dot is huge.

Wish I had more time to make stuff like this. That one piece took about 15 work hours.

That's the BOMB!!!!! Damn, its a gotta have one!! I really like it, very nice work! (and I have to hit the quote button just to display this pic again, I just love it!!)

Your rig is coming together NICELY!

Everytime I see your gun, it looks better and better. A big +1 to possibly producing those. You could make some nice change I bet. How long did it take to make?

(Good choice on MI, I have a BUIS on my AR from them. Quality products and a good price :D )

looks great with the 40rd mag,what grip did you use

Looks like a 30 rounder to me. Anyways, nice sight but i can't see the gun under all those accessories :(

Looks like a 30 to me too.

But I don't think that's overkill on accessories. He's only got a red-dot and a light on it. It's actually only 1 of a few x39's that gives me "gun envy".

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys. The bipod is an old Harris bipod. Forgot which model. Used a cheap swivel picatinney mount. I never use it. Last time it came out of the bag was when I took those pics. Anyone want to buy it? :D

Ive been lazy with pictures. I've painted the mount, replaced the optic, got rid of the light mount. Will take an updated pic and upload here soon :)

Completely off topic...........

The background in the pic of your mill looks exactly like the back 1st floor of my Aunt-n-Uncle's townhouse. As does the balcony. They also live in VA. Centreville to be exact. Where they live is a crap-ton of townhouses crammed together, with the exact same setups, and tiny fenced in back yards.

Then again, almost every neighborhood in their town looked like that :lol: .

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Vultite,

yeah but my machining capabilities are pretty limited. Everything has to be done by hand. Did a rough drawing of what that'd take and while the finished product wouldn't be that much more metal the starting piece would have to be huge. I thought of attaching it to the HG but not via the rail but by drilling and tapping somewhere on the front of the HG. But I don't trust that part of my capabilities to be repeatable to the point where the mount would maintain accuracy. The barrel mount was very simple and its very solid. Just got lucky that the drill bit was the perfect diameter.

On top of that I've also toyed with the idea of getting rid of the bottom rail. So in case I do I'm still OK.

That is awesome, now, make another, this time, have it under the barrel, and at the receiver end, have it so that it has a lower hand guard retainer built into the end of it.

Then you end up with a bolt on lower hand guard retainer with a bit of rail on it.