I recently got a really good deal on a little Mossy 500 12 ga. 18.5" barrel and pistol grip.

I know this will sound like heresy on this site but I've never really been into semi auto shotguns. So I figured I would turn this little pump gun into my home defense weapon.

The gun has some wear on the reciever and only has the pistol grip.

Question 1

Will duracoat work on the receiver?

Q#2

Where is the best place to look for a good stock with a pistol grip?

The gun was really cheap and more than anything I just wanna play around with it by refinishing it and adding a few things to it.

I recently got a really good deal on a little Mossy 500 12 ga. 18.5" barrel and pistol grip.

I know this will sound like heresy on this site but I've never really been into semi auto shotguns. So I figured I would turn this little pump gun into my home defense weapon.

Question 1

Q#2

The gun was really cheap and more than anything I just wanna play around with it by refinishing it and adding a few things to it.

Well I dont know about the Duracoat, bat as for the PG stock I go with Mesa Tactical, they make the adapters to use any AR stock on your shotty. They make a kit that mimics the geometry of an AR, with a top rail that mounts to the adapter, you dont have to use the collapsing stocks either, any AR stock will work. http://www.mesatactical.com/

• 1 month later...

Question 1

Q#2

Well I dont know about the Duracoat, bat as for the PG stock I go with Mesa Tactical, they make the adapters to use any AR stock on your shotty. They make a kit that mimics the geometry of an AR, with a top rail that mounts to the adapter, you dont have to use the collapsing stocks either, any AR stock will work. http://www.mesatactical.com/

I used to be a Mesa dealer selling at gun shows but had to stop due to health problems. PM me with what you need and I can see what I have left

• 2 months later...

I got my wife a 590 mariner,...

she accused me of buying it for myself, so I had it engraved, triple deep,,...."mommy's little helper"

8+1 and ,...used, but in great shape!

I like the heat sheild,

I like the ghost ring sights

and the stock stocks and pump hand grip

Factory Fresh Baby!

I got to tell you this thing weighs about 1/2 as much as a saiga 12,

and it comes apart, and back together pretty quick with the longest part being the 20" barrel.

I am getting the bigger, tactical metal safety too,..

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/Pro...ST-590%20SAFETY

post-9483-1225848081_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1225848096_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1225848116_thumb.jpg

post-9483-1226117809.jpg

Edited by Gas Giant
I got my wife a 590 mariner,...

she accused me of buying it for myself, so I had it engraved, triple deep,,...."mommy's little helper"

8+1 and ,...used, but in great shape!

I like the heat sheild,

I like the ghost ring sights

and the stock stocks and pump hand grip

Factory Fresh Baby!

I got to tell you this thing weighs about 1/2 as much as a saiga 12,

and it comes apart, and back together pretty quick with the longest part being the 20" barrel.

I am getting the bigger, tactical metal safety too,..

My wife told me I could buy a Saiga and after I ordered it....she smiled and said gleefully...."now the mossberg is mine." Hogue stock, surefire forend, 6 round side saddle, ghost ring, 18.5" loaded with 00 buck......

• 1 month later...

I've had several of these 500/90 variants, one of them was a 28in barrel gun that was in a friends house when it went through a tornado. The barrel was tweaked at the end so I cut it down to 18 3/4in and since it was basically destroyed with rust I gave it to a friend who polished the entire gun with Mothers rim polish and installed a black pistol grip and fore end. This gun still belongs to another friend and besides the every now and again wiping down with WD40 it holds it's shine and looks chrome! I'm pretty sure he polished the receiver and barrel with a buffer ball and a drill. I also owned a 590 way back when, it was the mariner coat gun with ghost ring sights and I can tell you now while those sights were awesome for slug work, they're no faster than a bead or nothing at all when in buckshot range. The latest 500 I own is a 18.5in 7 shot tube model that's blued. The barrel was rusty when I got it so I have to maintain it now and again. It has an ATI top folder and a tri rail fore end that I'm really not sure will be trust worthy when some abuse is thrown to them. The tri rail fore end is nice but I only got it to make the installation of a flashlight easier.

• 2 years later...

Question 1

Q#2

HERE'S A FEW ACCESSORIES ON MY 590

post-24333-0-40581000-1296607457_thumb.jpg

Blackhawk Knoxx Recoil Reducing stock

This thing is the shiiit! I got one for my brother for his 870 for christmas..and I'll say: IT WORKS! Makes the low brass rounds feel like shooting a .22 and it's extremely easy to install as well. Plus comes with a thick buttpad that you can also replace with something even nicer.